Gibson Brands Forums

Classic Rock and Roll at it's Best

IanHenry

I like Some Girls. It was so trashy and raunchy. Black And Blue has maybe 2 songs I like.Tattoo You had a few good songs as well. After that they really spiraled out of control. Let it Bleed and Beggars were fine albums. The Stones before that I could give a rip about. The hits are good, but mostly it is English dudes trying to play American Blues, and not really all that well. How they got the title as The Greatest Rock And Roll Band In The World is beyond me. Of all their 4000 albums maybe 8 have merit and they rest are throw aways. Look at Satanic Majestys Request. 5 guys super high on LSD making an album. The Engineer should have told them he pressed the record button and let them play and not recorded anthing, it would have been a better album.

So would you describe yourself as a fan or just a casually appreciative listener?

Ian

I like The Stone but I only listen to stuff from Beggars up to Tattoo You. That is about all I can stomach. It is the same way with Yes. I love Yes but once 90125 or 95120 or whatever that album is called, I wanted to cry, this is the Prog Rock band I once loved and adored. I know a musician job is make music, but there is a time when you are embarrsing you and your legacy. If you need 40 extra musicians on stage to even sound close to good. That should be your sign.

Spot on. Pretty well my selection of Stones' albums also. And if you need a bunch of shapes in the shadows to carry your music for you, give up.I saw Roxy Music a little while ago, and I was perpared to be dissapointed. But after a couple of tracks they hit their stride, and the extra musos were reduntant. Class act.too bad the Strolling Bones can't cut it.

The Stones are and have always been a get it or you don't proposition. White boy blues/ rock with a splash of soul , a bundle of srrogance, a bit of humour, and a f#ck you sttitude. They've slways been the best at what they do and more power to them. At their best, music at it's best.

Then again , there's always Katy Perry or Justin F#####g Beiber. Or Snoop Dog. Need I rant on? Rough and tumble rock with pretty moments thrown in. What more could you possibly want from music? People forget how spoiled we were in the 70's and early 80's for choices. Being a name band did'nt guarantee succuss. Bands had to be cutting edge, and all music should be viewed through the glasses of the moment in which it lived. I' m sick of hearing 16 year olds critique music on forums with no comprehension of what they are talking about, and sometimes the older guys are no better. I'm listening to Tattoo You as I drunkenly type, and it thrills me just asit did 33 odd years ago.

Archived