Gibson Brands Forums

Ren Talks

MR GIBS

1413608153[/url]' post='1578902']

Excellent interview - can't wait to see what Guild will come out with, as soon as they have a building, nd permits, and the process, and employees.... [thumbup]

I could not wait that, so I have a 2013 Guild D55 and a 2013 Guild F-412 at home. Both are amazing instruments. The 12 string was born on MY birthday last year! So we will celebrate togethermsp_biggrin.gif

I played an Orpheum 12 fret dreadnaught at our local Guild dealer a year ago, that was really quite good. It had Ren's hands all over it. Very expensive, and I thought to myself, that guild would not make it at this price point. It would be great to see some innovation and some Guild tradition come out of the Cordoba plant.

Thanks, Krassi, for keeping an eye out for this second interview, which would probably be a much different one if Ren was anywhere else, speaking with someone other than Tony Polecastro.

Thanks to Ren for that candid interview. Good to have that fly-on-the-wall inside perspective, Ren's personal perspective, as to what was going on around him from the Bozeman years to Oxnard. Hearing him describing the magic he felt as he held an original F-5 mandolin that inspired him to strive to create great instruments, it would be hard to argue against the idea that a guitar is more than just a tool.

I think it's interesting to hear mister Fergusons personal story, no doubt about that.

But the question is if this is more of a platform for trippin' down memory lane than an interview.

Polecastro has an absolutely unique opportunity to dig in on many levels here - but choose to sit back rather quiet and let the master talk.

Guess many of us would like more insight-information about actual procedures related to the plant up through the years - not least the 0's :

Details about the Custom Shop idea, miscellaneous such as model development/reproduction, hits and misses, the TV-concept, even burst discussions and tuner-choice meetings, , , just free fables 'bout the guitars we enjoy so much.

Unfortunately we only get into the Songwriter line - which is fine, yet not enough.

As we know a lot of historical Gibson-facts has turned to sawdust over time - a thing that must be avoided for now and the future.

Bozeman should be wise and willing to risk swallowing a few goats in order to get this documentation right - and Polecastro should be aware and in tune with the chief-staff.

The Ferguson-era might well be regarded a 'golden age' for people/fans who look back 1-2-3 decades ahead - the material is invaluable, , , ,

and when will Ren ever talk again . . .

I have liked both videos .and I think it's unfair for people to say that Tony is doing wrong by not digging deeper .

I mean back when Ren retired people wanted to know what happened .

Now that he responded ... people don't appreciat the fact that he got to a certain level of detail in which he felt comfortable speaking .

I met the man and I guess that's why I appreciate this more than others.

Thank you Krassi

JC

I have liked both videos .and I think it's unfair for people to say that Tony is doing wrong by not digging deeper .

Fair enough JCV - I'm not saying T.P. goes wrong here - just stating that he chooses a path that misses some jewellery on the way.

I realize and respect this is wound up around Ren Fergusons personal general story, but at the same time call out for a more detailed Gibson-chapter.

I think it's interesting to hear mister Fergusons personal story, no doubt about that.

But the question is if this is more of a platform for trippin' down memory lane than an interview.

Polecastro has an absolutely unique opportunity to dig in on many levels here - but choose to sit back rather quiet and let the master talk.

Guess many of us would like more insight-information about actual procedures related to the plant up through the years - not least the 0's :

Details about the Custom Shop idea, miscellaneous such as model development/reproduction, hits and misses, the TV-concept, even burst discussions and tuner-choice meetings, , , just free fables 'bout the guitars we enjoy so much.

Unfortunately we only get into the Songwriter line - which is fine, yet not enough.

As we know a lot of historical Gibson-facts has turned to sawdust over time - a thing that must be avoided for now and the future.

Bozeman should be wise and willing to risk swallowing a few goats in order to get this documentation right - and Polecastro should be aware and in tune with the chief-staff.

The Ferguson-era might well be regarded a 'golden age' for people/fans who look back 1-2-3 decades ahead - the material is invaluable, , , ,

and when will Ren ever talk again . . .

I think Tony is just along for the ride, and really has no idea of what to ask Ren. His questions are barely coherent.

Clearly, Ren has some things he want to get off his chest, and is taking this opportunity to do so. He obviously doesn't think much of Henry. Probably more a philosophical thing than anything else. Henry is trying to make money with the company. Ren is trying to build great guitars.

Those goals may not be mutually compatible.

Interesting that they couldn't make money with the custom shop. No surprise, really. They couldn't charge enough of a premium to offset the disruption in the production process. Interesting that the custom shop is still a big part of the Martin ethos. Somehow, they've made it work.

Wouldn't you love to see the books on both those companies (plus Taylor, of course)? Radically different approaches to the art and business of building guitars. Clearly, the 500 different Les Paul models are where Gibson makes their money. If they do.

I have more and more respect for Ren every time he opens his mouth.

And I empathize with the way he injured himself. Can't tell you how many times I've almost crashed and burned trying to put on my running shorts in the dark early in the morning, while standing up, before I've had my first cup of coffee. I'll be a bit more careful after this tale.

And I empathize with the way he injured himself. Can't tell you how many times I've almost crashed and burned trying to put on my running shorts in the dark early in the morning, while standing up, before I've had my first cup of coffee.

I'll be a bit more careful after this tale.

That must have been on the boat, Nick - at open sea. .

That must have been on the boat, Nick - at open sea. .

Negative. Standing on one leg in the dark, trying to get the other one through the leg hole of my shorts. Not quite awake, and grumpy at the alarm waking me up. I've actually fallen over doing this, thankfully without injuring myself the way Ren did.

No reason to put on running shorts when you're at sea. I'm definitely not capable of walking on water, much less running.

Negative. Standing on one leg in the dark, trying to get the other one through the leg hole of my shorts. Not quite awake, and grumpy at the alarm waking me up. I've actually fallen over doing this, thankfully without injuring myself the way Ren did.

No reason to put on running shorts when you're at sea. I'm definitely not capable of walking on water, much less running.

Hehe, , , I'll just say, "a man who went through and survived a motorcycle accident in his youth has spent his quota". .

Hehe, , , I'll just say, "a man who went through and survived a motorcycle accident in his youth has spent his quota". .

That would be Dylan, me, and any number of other people I know. If you don't have some kind of permanent injury from a motorcycle accident in your youth, you haven't tried hard enough. Or you've just been too careful.

That would be Dylan, me, and any number of other people I know. If you don't have some kind of permanent injury from a motorcycle accident in your youth, you haven't tried hard enough. Or you've just been too careful.

Bulls eye, , , thinking about it, I had a few myself, , , , but then, Nick, stopped the tumbling cones, , ,

apart from babbling on these pages of course. .

Back to Ferguson -

Please don't let you be misunderstood... what is meant by "not least the O's"?

Yes, we would've loved to have some of the technical/trivial questions asked and answered as well, but as we are treated to some very personal insights, the likes of which are rarely disclosed, I'll take what we can get.

@T = 7:33 : "... and ... uh... there was a problem with the way I was getting paid... "

Interesting that they couldn't make money with the custom shop. No surprise, really. They couldn't charge enough of a premium to offset the disruption in the production process. Interesting that the custom shop is still a big part of the Martin ethos. Somehow, they've made it work.

Nick, interesting that what you came away with was that Gibson couldn't make money with the Custom Shop. I went and viewed that part again; I guess that was the bottom line, as Ren was getting paid as an independent contractor, taking work home, and requiring these guitars to be sold from $25K->$50K, and occasionally upward from that. Would it have worked any differently if he did these as time permitted in addition to his daily duties? Maybe the turnaround time would be along the lines of a Wayne Henderson guitar and others in similar demand. It is (was) confusing; what Gibson put their Custom Shop logo on, and then the very spendy collector commissioning an ultra high end indulgence, which is "True Custom"(?).

Archived