Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary_T

Model Number "Decoder"

Is the anyone here who can help me understand what the model numbers signify on my Les Paul. I do know that LPT is Les Paul Traditional. What do the rest of the numbers mean?

Thanks

LPTP25FD9CF1

Did you get your model number off the inspection sheet? . They're sometimes hard to read. I've never seen the numbers "25" in a model number before. Is the "2" perhaps a "Z" for zebra, and the "5" actually an "S"? . Not sure what the "9" would indicate. Here's an known example: LPTDSZSHCH1 = LP(Les Paul) TD(TraDitional) S(1960) Z(Zebra coil pups) SH(Satin Honeyburst) CH(Chrome Hardware) 1(legacy code indicating the guitar is not a second)

Also, in my experience the last two letters of an LP model number always indicate the hardware type, ex. CH=Chrome Hardware, NH=Nickel Hardware, GH=Gold Hardware. These two letters are always followed by a "1". If you've got chrome hardware, I would expect those last three characters to be CH1.

If there is a problem reading the model number, you can email Gibson at. service@gibson.com .with the serial number and ask them what the model number of your guitar is.

Is the anyone here who can help me understand what the model numbers signify on my Les Paul. I do know that LPT is Les Paul Traditional. What do the rest of the numbers mean?

Thanks

LPTP25FD9CF1

The abbreviation should read Les Paul Traditional Pro II, 50's neck, Faded Desert burst finish, Chrome Floyd Rose vibrato, factory 1st.

Not sure what the "9" should mean though.

Just found this topic which also includes the model number within the advertisement pictured there:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/110257-trad-pro-ii-floyd-rose/

Obviously a Guitar Center Exclusive model.

Thank you.....

That is it!!! That is the Les Paul I purchased, although the color is much more defined than the color in the Guitar Center ad.

Thank you for your help.

post-68053-077615800 1413907165_thumb.jpg

Did you get your model number off the inspection sheet? . They're sometimes hard to read. I've never seen the numbers "25" in a model number before. Is the "2" perhaps a "Z" for zebra, and the "5" actually an "S"? . Not sure what the "9" would indicate. Here's an known example: LPTDSZSHCH1 = LP(Les Paul) TD(TraDitional) S(1960) Z(Zebra coil pups) SH(Satin Honeyburst) CH(Chrome Hardware) 1(legacy code indicating the guitar is not a second)

Also, in my experience the last two letters of an LP model number always indicate the hardware type, ex. CH=Chrome Hardware, NH=Nickel Hardware, GH=Gold Hardware. These two letters are always followed by a "1". If you've got chrome hardware, I would expect those last three characters to be CH1.

If there is a problem reading the model number, you can email Gibson at. service@gibson.com .with the serial number and ask them what the model number of your guitar is.

I did get the numbers off the inspection sheet and yes, they were hard to read. I think a post below has the guitar figured out though. Thanks

I think there is a lot of misinformation here regarding the model "codes".  I think assumptions have been made for some.  I've seen a lot of inconsistencies in the model numbers (in recent years, at least) that would make these assumptions a bad idea.

The hardware code?  That and the "LP" are about the most consistent.  And the color code is in there.  Other than the inconsistencies take over.

The last number is *not* always a 1, and it does not mean regular production and not a 2nd.  Think about it, a 2nd won't be part of a model number!  Gibson is not forthcoming about the meaning of that number, when asked, they told me it does not mean anything to the consumer.  Can't let me decide if it does?  My guess (and I may try to prove it some time) is that it designates the "market" it was made for (GC/MF, Japan, etc.).   I have 2 Gibsons with a 3 at the end, and I know one was "made for Japan" and I think the other one may have been too.

Numbers are sometimes used in the middle, and sometimes they are 2 digit for the model year. 

So the codes vary and are highly dependent on the year.

Also the H as in "CH1" is not for "hardware".  It is for "hardtail", as evidenced by the Floyd equipped one above and Maestro equipped 335s being "GM1" (gold Maestro).

Again, the assumption was that H was for hardware.