Gibson Brands Forums

Fake Epi Wood?

houndman55

On 10/18/2014 at 6:19 PM, Thomse said:
On 10/18/2014 at 6:11 PM, houndman55 said:

On a earlier thread someone claimed epiphone used nato wood and not real mahogony in their les pauls. Any truth to this?

Why wood a company like Gibson do false advertizing. i know they piece and glue the epiphone more then Gibson and i know gibson uses select hard woods and epiphone does not . The Zoot suit Les Paul i have has a lot of layers of wood glued together and thats made by Gibson

Because the director of Gibson himself stated that they use it in Les Pauls and ES models.

• 2 months later...

Note that this thread is 6 years old.... 🙂

When talking about the wood that Epiphone uses you need to define what model, era and which factory. Entry level Epiphone guitars with "Bolt On Necks" tend to use several different types of wood for the body, usually covered with a veneer, but stated in the spec's for that specific model. The "Set Neck level" normally use 2 or 3 blocks of wood covered by a veneer of the same material. Carved Top LP's normally use large Mahogany blocks with a Carved Maple Cap with a Maple veneer top. The Hollow Body and Semi-Hollow bodies are usually described as Layered Maple.

So what I'm trying to illustrate is that Epiphone's construction method differs from model to model or Entry to Pro, but the general material used is listed in the original Spec's. 

Example: a Set Neck SG G-400 body is normally 3 blocks of mahogany with a mahogany veneer on the top and back, but in the spec's the body is listed as mahogany, which it is.

High end Epiphones or Pro level follow their own rules using the best materials and a few have Nitro finishes.

Edited by mihcmac