Gibson Brands Forums

Is Ebay safe to buy guitars on?

Gibson Artist

who'd want to fake a Rickenbacker anyway?!

kidding...

I've bought/sold about a dozen guitars via eBay (mostly American made)...seems safe enough to me. Selling an acoustic right now. Great deals to be had...and if you can return it...even better.

Do your homework and make sure you understand their fee structure if you're going to sell anything....including PayPal...and shipping/returns if you plan to purchase. I always look at ratings and number of transactions too.

I'm not convinced the eBay guarantees are as good as they promote them to be...but I've not had to test it.

Just one buy here, and this was a dearly nice one. It was an international transaction of an Ibanez Blazer Bass for sale in The Netherlands. Very friendly and honest seller, fast delivery nicely wrapped in a robust carton, and the condition was as described and pictured. Clearly legit and playable right out of the box.

IF you buy a counterfeit from a seller who is only PayPal guaranteed for $200, you will be instructed to send the guitar in, they will destroy the guitar and will only give you $200.

Make damned sure you know how much the seller is guaranteed for. I learned this the hard way.

Just do some homework, check the feedback rating and you should do OK.

I've bought several guitars on eBay including both of my Les Pauls and have not had an issue...

I've actually had great luck with eBay!

I'm just now trying Reverb.com to sell one of my Les Pauls; "Blue" is up for sale...

If I don't generate any interest I'm going to be listing it on eBay pretty soon...

• 4 weeks later...

Be carefull Artist. I've bought about half a dozen Gibson's off Ebay and all o.k. But two second hand 1275's that I bought, the first one arrived with a split/chip about an inch long on the edge down near the pots. Done in transit. The second one was stolen in transit! Could'nt believe that little trick. Fortunately, PayPal protection refunded my money.

So, go ahead but use caution. And always buy with PayPal protection, it's sort of like wearing a condom while purchasing!

I have bought several guitars on ebay and never had a problem. I always check the feedback of the seller though and asked for some personalized photos. Example, I bought my Jimmy Page EDS 1275 on ebay and had it shipped to Spain. I saw it listed from a seller in California with great feedback and a top notch reputation as a seller. At the time the euro was high and the dollar was low. Was the right time to buy a guitar I wanted but was a bit out of my reach price wise. I talked to the seller and made an offer. All of the sudden I see the same Jimmy Page EDS 1275, same serial number and all on sale in Australia. WTF…. I got in touch with the guy I had been talking with and informed him. He immediately got in touch with ebay and got the other add with high jacked photos taken down. To make sure the guy I was dealing with had the guitar I saw in the add I asked him to take some new photos of the guitar with and orange on top of it… WHich he did and I bought the guitar. It was an important amount of cash i put out for it so I was sweating bullets until it arrived but arrived supper packed in a double boxed an I am very lucky to have it… Yeah it was a scary purchase but I felt good about it and went for it...

I have bought several guitars on ebay and never had a problem. I always check the feedback of the seller though and asked for some personalized photos. Example, I bought my Jimmy Page EDS 1275 on ebay and had it shipped to Spain. I saw it listed from a seller in California with great feedback and a top notch reputation as a seller. At the time the euro was high and the dollar was low. Was the right time to buy a guitar I wanted but was a bit out of my reach price wise. I talked to the seller and made an offer. All of the sudden I see the same Jimmy Page EDS 1275, same serial number and all on sale in Australia. WTF…. I got in touch with the guy I had been talking with and informed him. He immediately got in touch with ebay and got the other add with high jacked photos taken down. To make sure the guy I was dealing with had the guitar I saw in the add I asked him to take some new photos of the guitar with and orange on top of it… WHich he did and I bought the guitar. It was an important amount of cash i put out for it so I was sweating bullets until it arrived but arrived supper packed in a double boxed an I am very lucky to have it… Yeah it was a scary purchase but I felt good about it and went for it...

Phew! Close...

Archived