Gibson Brands Forums

Level, Crown, and Polish - P93 Content

J4T5

So I finally got around to really giving the fretboard and nice smooth feel.

Pulled out the tools and did a Level, Crown, and Polish. I got those frets dead level and gleeming like jewelry.

Totally worth the effort. Just think about it - they're cranking those Epi's out for really cheap and probably don't have the fine tuning in the mix to keep the price point down.

Most guitars could use a good level, crown and polish when you buy them. Just to get those bends glass smooth if nothing else.

original.jpg

original.jpg

J4T5

Nice looking job. What radius block did you use?

I see what looks like a nut file in the background and no nut on the guitar....Plans?

Willy

P.S. nice looking fretboard.

That red one is a Crowning File 300 grit. It works great getting the flat spots out after a leveling job.

I pulled the nut off so I could follow through with the leveling block. The nut is in great shape and I'll probably reuse until it needs to be replaced.

The block I used is a 12" radius block with 300 grit. Followed by a 300 grit crowning file then I start with 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 2000, and finally 4000 grit

paper by hand with a fret guard around each fret as I go.

By then it shines like a piece of jewelry. Bends on the neck feel ultra smooth.

I have courser leveling files and crown files but this was just tweeking some high spots on the fretboard and getting a nice straight plane to work to a polish.

The trick is getting the fretboard as straight as you can get it (at the least evil) with a little less tension on the trussrod because the strings aren't pulling and putting stress on the fretboard.

After I get all the fretwork done I tweek the trussrod after tension is back on and set it almost dead straight. You can really get the strings down low if you want at this point.

I just really want buzz free fretting and smoothness for bending.

Archived