Gibson Brands Forums

Bluegrass strings/EJ200CE?

Wayne8

Thanks for the replies. I've got the strings already. Just a little worried about what effect they'll have on my arthritic hands. Guess I'll just try them and see. Currently running 12-54 and they play great and sound great but I think I'd like a little more bass.

Thanks for the replies. I've got the strings already. Just a little worried about what effect they'll have on my arthritic hands. Guess I'll just try them and see. Currently running 12-54 and they play great and sound great but I think I'd like a little more bass.

12-54 is medium light correct? My DR 500 Came with medium lights and I loved the tone maybe medium 13-56 is the gauge you want?

A J200 size guitar needs heavier strings to drive the huge soundboard.I use bluegrass gauge on my Gibson J200.At the moment it's got 54-12's on.

It doesn't like 'em & neither do I!

I don't agree with this. I had 3 EJ's at one time, the one I kept sounds good with .010-47's on it. You just have to put up with the extra buzz and unintentional bending while fretting. I think a bigger soundboard will give you more sound than a smaller one with any gage string. Kind of a grand piano vs. an upright. JMO though.

Well, I did play 11's for years and years but moved up to 12's to get away from fret buzz. I like a lower action, which the EJ200 has but with 11's I'd have to raise the action to keep the buzzing down. This is for medium to heavy strumming. I agree, 11's or even 10's would suit me for fingerstyle but I've got another guitar set up for that.

No, mediums are 13's amd I definitely don't want those, makes it too hard to make that F chord! They do make a 12-56 gauge.

Well, I did play 11's for years and years but moved up to 12's to get away from fret buzz. I like a lower action, which the EJ200 has but with 11's I'd have to raise the action to keep the buzzing down. This is for medium to heavy strumming. I agree, 11's or even 10's would suit me for fingerstyle but I've got another guitar set up for that.

No, mediums are 13's amd I definitely don't want those, makes it too hard to make that F chord! They do make a 12-56 gauge.

Ah yes the "F" chord if the buzzing isn't to bad try raising the strings a very little bit. I like the heavier strings sound but for long sessions ( all nighters ) I prefer 11"s or 10"

Archived