Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul or SG

houndman55

Hey,

If I'd ever go for buying a Epiphone or Gibson guitar which one would suite me? Les Paul or SG? I find the sg cool-looking with good fret access but last time I held one if felt neck heavy. The les paul is obviously quite legendary in it's own right but I don't know what I've would find it useful for. Sustain not a big deal to me, both have humbuckers or occasionally P90's. Would believe that the Epiphone versions both have stock alnico classic humbuckers. As for Gibson it goes for all these sorts of numbers but all seem the same. Which one would you recommend? As for genre I play would say mainstream rock/metal with portions of melodic parts and folk. I value a good clean tone more than just random gritty blues solos but I also want a good cranked up tone occasionally.

I was also gonna say get the 61 Les Paul SG as a joke, " it's a Les Paul and an SG.". But, you will have to play them all and will probably want both eventually. My 2013 LP SG is not neck heavy and is sweet sound iwhen I need it to be and is a very good value. But, my 2014 LP Traditional is possibly versatile and responsive, it costs more as well. Different pickups, 57's in the SG, 59's in the LP. You will have to get out there and play some through your type of amp so you can decide for yourself.

Guest Farnsbarns

Neither. If you have to ask you are not ready to purchase. To get to wherebyou need to be hwfore deciding....Get to a large shop and try a number of both types. Also, I'd suggest choosing from this "large number" on an individual guitar basis rather than thinking in terms of models. One will just speak to you.

Definitely go try out a bunch, as both the SG and LP come in so many versions with all sorts of different pups, finishes, and tailpiece options. You mentioned the SG being neck heavy, which I find very true of mine, but it's not much of an issue because most of the time I sit while playing. I also find LP guitars incredibly uncomfortable to play for any extended period of time because of how thick the body is, which kicks my picking arm out at a really uncomfortable angle. As for which one will best suit your needs for the style of music you say you play, I've heard great mainstream rock and metal tones come out of both LPs and SGs, and they all sound great, so a lot of it will come down to what amp you plan on using. Honestly it sounds like you're nowhere close to making a decision, and making that decision based on other people's personal preferences is a terrible idea. Go to a shop and try a bunch out, preferably playing with the same amp you use. Chances are you'll pick one up and not be able to put it down (the second I saw my current SG, even though I had never played it and wouldn't be able to unless I bought it, I knew I had to have it and bought it almost immediately). Good luck.

The les paul is obviously quite legendary in it's own right but I don't know what I've would find it useful for.

has the lad not picked up a Gibson USA Les Paul and plugged it in? Me thinks,, this can't be possible with that comment above!!!

[biggrin]

yet I jest..

I have 2 USA LP Standards, I use them more than any others in my stable (and I have a bunch)

Second up, are the SGs (one with h-buckers, the other with P90s) love them!!!

the Les Pauls are the ones I find the that I just gravitate to the most.

it's really a matter of personal choice/preference. If you don't mind about 10lbs hanging off your shoulder, the LP is going to do everything you would ever need of it.

The SG is much lighter, more comfortable for long durations (peg: playing an hour set), with great upper fret access,

for neck heavy solutions, just get a suede strap, the courser the better, that material grips your shirt, and it does not move.

In my personal opinion, I think the Les Paul has a more opened sound to it, especially the in between settings with Clean and blues-slightly-broken-up tones. that said, the SG is a formidable axe, great fun to play and with a set of good GIBSON USA humbuckers, a total killer tone machine as well. P90s,, that's a horse of a different color. The stock Gibson USA P90s are some of the nastiest (in a good way) single coils available, they are fantastic. (there are also great aftermarket brands too, Jason Lollar's and Seymour Duncan's for example)

But I also think like has been said,, if you have to ask,, I guess your not ready to lay any cash down.

oh yea,, the other comment I agree with is "BOTH" - yes one (or 2) of each!! yea! that's it!

Archived