Gibson Brands Forums

Another.. You know you are getting old thread

Rabs

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got up to get some more coffee... took me about 15 seconds to straighten my back out so I could walk erect.

(wait, what's that last word I just used, at one time I recall that it meant something else didn't it??)

yea, Guess I am feeling 57 today..

When guys complaining about being "old" end up mentioning bands you've never heard of 'cuz to you, they're too new for interest.

When most of the folks you work with could be your grandchildren.

When a "sweet young thing" young enough to be your daughter is complaining about her knee joints aching from a weekend team roping session - and how her daughter did at the barrel races the previous weekend.

When you go to a high school basketball game and flirt with the cute young girls while they cheer for their grandchildren.

Or when folks see you do some everyday thing and tell you they can't believe you can still do it at your age.

When the 40-year-somethings tell you they can't believe you know how to do text.

When a 20-something picker sez your playing reminds him/her of their grandpa's playing.

When you complain to the barber that you don't wanna have him show you the back of your head after a haircut, make a threat of physical violence if he does, and have him show you anyway while laughing and saying "Oops... I forgot again."

When somebody young enough to be your kid is complaining about ankle pains and general arthritis caused 'cuz they're getting old.

And we won't even start to get into the fun and games of dentures and passing on lessons to the younger set such as a recommendation to remove the dentures before vomiting if one doesn't care to fish them out of wherever they might fall... if even possible such as on a boat.

Argh!!!

m

....passing on lessons to the younger set such as a recommendation to remove the dentures before vomiting if one doesn't care to fish them out of wherever they might fall...

m

Good call - I would never have thought of that until experience taught me!

As for learning via experience vs. following advice...

As Will Rogers noted, there are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Alas, too often I've found myself in the latter category - regardless that I'd prefer to be considered among the first two.

m

When you complain to the barber that you don't wanna have him show you the back of your head after a haircut, make a threat of physical violence if he does, and have him show you anyway while laughing and saying "Oops... I forgot again."

m

You know you live in the old west if the barber is still the last guy in town any one would want to shoot. [rolleyes]

As Will Rogers noted, there are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

m

When you remember that third guy was the most fun to have around. [laugh]

Σß

I just got up to get some more coffee... took me about 15 seconds to straighten my back out so I could walk erect.

(wait, what's that last word I just used, at one time I recall that it meant something else didn't it??)

yea, Guess I am feeling 57 today..

hooo, you too huh? last week I got a back spasm walking throught the mall, felt like I was getting hit with a cattle prod. People were looking at me like I was nuts...

I'm only 22, but there are some little things that make me feel old, haha. Like seeing little kids with iPhones and Smartphones and know how to work one better than I do. I'm completely lost with one. Heck, I started playing guitar at 8 years old back in 2000 and my Christmas list or what I wanted for my Birthday was a new guitar or a few toys or a game system and some games or some Legos or something. That's one thing that blows my mind and makes me feel old, though I'm only 22, haha.

As for learning via experience vs. following advice...

Alas, too often I've found myself in the latter category - regardless that I'd prefer to be considered among the first two.

m

lol, yes. The school of hard knocks.

Hair... Hmmmm...

Funny thing, though, my "baby brother" who's 28 years younger than I am used to claim that I got all the family's "good hair genes."

So I guess I shouldn't complain about a bit of thinning at the back.

m

hooo, you too huh? last week I got a back spasm walking throught the mall, felt like I was getting hit with a cattle prod. People were looking at me like I was nuts...

yea sometimes for sure. never had that happen tho. (back spasm - I don't think I have "back problems"...

so I try to stay active, I run 4 milers about 4 / 5 days a week. (I guess @57, that's sort of ok???) but I notice if I don't keep that regiment, it's like rigamortis has started to set in. and I don't think I'm quite dead yet... man I hate when that happens

Hair... Hmmmm...

Funny thing, though, my "baby brother" who's 28 years younger than I am used to claim that I got all the family's "good hair genes."

So I guess I shouldn't complain about a bit of thinning at the back.

m

Me too M, I can still grow a wicked crop...

I met up with a guy I've not seen in about 5 years. he's never had a lot of hair since I we met in like 1990, and now, even less..

so we meet for lunch about a half a year ago, first thing he said "hey you still have all your hair!... I hate your guts!"

!LOL!

Those bastids with that AARP card, they're like vultures. Like turning 50 isn't bad enough, here comes some insulting mail timed to the second!

Congratulations, you've got one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel, why not take out some life insurance with us?

Here's another you know you are getting old: when you notice Marshall stacks have gone the way of Ian Anderson's hair. What the heck is wrong with these punk kids nowadays?

Archived