Gibson Brands Forums

ngd: es-335 Rich Robinson

tonmo

Well it was yesterday but my account just got approved :-)... I also posted it on another forum but this is the right place. Pic attached - #357/500. My wife prodded me to get my dream guitar for our 20th anniversary... this was it, not too much debate!

post-68221-022755200 1414157240_thumb.jpg

Congrats on your wife and your nice ES-335 RR guitar. Like Steve said, I also believe they both are keepers. [thumbup]

... Note, the RR pick did not come with the guitar, picked it up off the ground at one of his shows this summer [smile]

Great catch! Do you use it for playing or as a keepsake?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all! It plays AMAZING.

Great catch! Do you use it for playing or as a keepsake?

I played it just a bit but I know once I put a few hours into it, it will become useless. I'll keep it around for special occasions... when I'm really feeling it for a song... I'm a big believer in using what you've got! Even if in small doses :) [thumbup] It was just laying there on the floor near the stage before the show, I think the guitar tech dropped it.

I saw Cheap Trick in a tent in 1992, I think... in Lime Lake, NY of all places. Rick Neilsen threw out a handful of picks and I snagged one. Still in playing condition!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Yep, a beautiful guitar - I love mine, and noodle on it most days. Have to say though that I'm very disappointed in quality of the case - its very ordinary. But the guitar, oh my, its definitely a keeper.

Thank you, I reckon the case is crap too - REALLY disappointed. LOVE the guitar though - but for the price, the case should have been a lot better.

Yep, a beautiful guitar - I love mine, and noodle on it most days. Have to say though that I'm very disappointed in quality of the case - its very ordinary. But the guitar, oh my, its definitely a keeper.

Thank you, I reckon the case is crap too - REALLY disappointed. LOVE the guitar though - but for the price, the case should have been a lot better.

Interesting soliloquy with about thirteen months delay. Could have happened to me, too. [rolleyes]

• 2 years later...

I'm bumping an old thread to say that I'm another happy RR ES335 owner! I've got #205 of 500! Let's start an owners club! It seems like a lot of people had been hankering after a Mid/early 60s ES335 w/ bigsby and treated themselves when they saw this.

Mine was a bucket list guitar, bought in the UK back in 2014 when they were first issued. I'd had a really rough couple of years, having been diagnosed with cancer in 2010 at 38, then going through loads of unpleasant treatment and surgery and by the end of 2013 was just getting out of the woods.

I'd always searched for an affordable used 335 (or 345), but had never quite managed to find one, then I saw this reissue and thought it could be the one. I don't care for Rich Robinson or Black Crowes, but do very much care about a reissue '63 with a Bigsby! [biggrin]

I agree the case is a bit of a let down. I've just sold a 1997 Epiphone Riviera and the Epiphone case for that felt a bit better quality than the Gibson one this came in. That's not an issue though, I can easily replace the case.

The guitar sounds fantastic though, the more I play it the better it gets. I'm mainly recording these days and my guitars (& basses) are all great for different sounds/tones/vibes. My other Gibson is a well-worn 2003 LP Jnr Special, on which I've replaced the stock P100s with a set of P90s from a Gibson 1956 LP Goldtop VOS. The magnets are also flipped so the middle pickup setting gives a great out of phase sound.

My non-Gibson go-to is a 1994 Japanese Fender Jazzmaster, with everything upgraded & tweaked.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived