Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Guitar Photo

Californiaman

This has been my favorite guitar photo that I found online a few years back. I went so far as to make it my cell phone theme/background image...

Gibson-Les-Paul-Standardbackground_zps9643143c.jpg

Then about a year after that adorned my cell phone, I fell in love with a guitar on eBay I just had to have and bought it...

I came to find out it was the exact model/year/configuration of that image I found on the internet that I carried around and looked at everyday on my phone...

It never dawned on me at the time until one night at a gig I was looking at my phone and made the realization, I had bought that exact guitar. And when I looked up my model on Gibson I found that exact picture as the brochure/marketing image for that year and model guitar...

2004 Gibson Les Paul Limited Edition in Manhattan Midnight Blue...

Mine:

IMG_4111-b_zps5a6b26d4.jpg

I thought that was a pretty amazing coincidence/happening!

It makes me a little wary of selling "Blue."

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Pippy, tell me about that beautiful acoustic guitar. Cedar top, rosewood back and sides? That's a real fine looking guitar. [thumbup]

Thanks for the nice words, Cali.

It's an Antoine Di Mauro 'Special Chorus' model from around 1946/47.

As far as I can tell the top is spruce which had a warm-amber coat of nitro which has turned dark golden-brown through the years.

The back and sides are mahogany and it has an ebony 'board on a figured-maple neck with a central walnut stripe.

P.

Oh yes it should! Stunning, Cougar!

What is the story?

Thanks! The maple EF-500PNS Masterbilt was never put in production, never cataloged, never available for commercial sale. The non-cutaway Masterbilts were produced from 2004-2010 (maybe 2011). This pristine solid maple back/sides beauty was made in 2003! The guy I got it from (lived in Nashville) said he got it from a Gibson rep. Still had the plastic on the pickguard! Word has it they may have just produced some for trade shows. Don't know how many, but there are not many around! It plays and sounds great.

500P-2.JPG

That is one beautiful masterpiece of luthier craftsmanship! [drool] Does it sound as good as it looks? [drool][love] ...

Thanks for the kind words, L8.

Yes. It's a Gypsy-Jazzer made by Antoine Di Mauro in the mid-late '40s (see post #27) and has a perfect example of what is called the 'Manouche Bark'.

P.

Archived