Gibson Brands Forums

Looking to buy my first LP

stugots945

Well, this turned out to be an interesting day. Went to GC and walked out with a 2014 Standard. But here's the thing. It's the slimmer one. I can't find he exact thing on the website. It looks like the 2014 version of the 2015 Less Plus. And now I'm slightly mixed on the purchase. I'm thinking that I should've just gotten a typical standard, but the thing is this just felt better playing it. Anybody have any thoughts on this guitar?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, this turned out to be an interesting day. Went to GC and walked out with a 2014 Standard. But here's the thing. It's the slimmer one. I can't find he exact thing on the website. It looks like the 2014 version of the 2015 Less Plus. And now I'm slightly mixed on the purchase. I'm thinking that I should've just gotten a typical standard, but the thing is this just felt better playing it. Anybody have any thoughts on this guitar?

Yeah... I have some thoughts. [thumbup]

stugots945,

I wish I could help you, but I don't know how to, in the case. Gibson makes a lot of different guitars; special runs, retailer exclusives, etc..

If the one you got sounded better than another, fine.

But - you have mixed feelings. Perhaps not so fine.

If you wish, PM me. GC has a 30 day return policy. I would be delighted if I can be of some help to a 1st time LP buyer. [wink]

Thanks so much. I'll PM you. I believe this is the guitar on the link below, the only thing that doesn't match up is that I was told mine has an AA body not a AAA. Would love your opinions on this.

Les Paul at Guitar Center

My concerns since coming home with it are this:

1. The slim body isn't the norm. And I'm not somebody who says you need to follow the pack, but I went into this to get a real LP. And I sort of feel like I half assed it a bit.

2. The 120th Anniversary fret. Somebody mentioned earlier that it's a sticking point for some. I've told 2 people about my purchase. My wife saw it and the first thing out of her mouth was "Are you ok with that fret?" Then I was casually on the phone with my mother and said I bought a guitar. She asked how I liked it and I mentioned this fret. She said "Oh that kind of makes it feel like a limited run thing, not as timeless?" MY MOTHER. Who is 61 years old. Not cool.

Here you go, pal ====> 2014 Standard Light

...and as Paul said in his MMT song: "Your Mother Should Know" [biggrin]

Yep that's the one. So any general feelings on this model? My guess is I'll get a lot of people saying no wonder a Strat player bought this. But I'll say this, it's a beautiful guitar. Feels great. Sounds great. Question really comes down to this -- am I really getting a Les Paul?

I've read the comments on the 120th fret and just my opinion... but I think its ridiculous. Almost every guitar maker in its history has used fret markers in some way, to jazz up something. The Les Paul has Trapezoid inlays. The banner is a similar shape/size inlay. It just says, "120th Anniversary". Besides that, its nothing but cosmetic. I've heard a lot of reasons to dislike certain years, some seem valid, some seem absurd... the banner, I think it falls under absurd category. eusa_clap.gif

(sorry, that subject just really rubs me the wrong way, considering how often the same thing has been done and I have one :P )

As for, did you get a "real" Les Paul? Its made by Gibson, it says Les Paul... its a Les Paul. Now do you want an original Les Paul? One that hasn't any weight relief and as a strat player, will feel like strapping a cinder block around your neck? Sure, there's other models. Will they play different? Probably not a lot different.... more individual guitar thing and setup there, I would imagine. Will it sound different? Yeah, there most likely would be some difference, as its built differently in areas, they can save weight.

I keep going back to, if you enjoy playing it. Like it, etc... keep it. Who cares what anyone else says? I bought a guitar simply because Eddie Van Halen said it was the best. At the time, it was. Its still an awesome guitar. Do I ever play it? Nope. Do I really even like it? Not really. At least not at this point in time. I only keep it, for the investment, at this point.

My thought is that your personal feeling counts. It's you who should be happy with your new purchase.

Yep that's the one. So any general feelings on this model? My guess is I'll get a lot of people saying no wonder a Strat player bought this. But I'll say this, it's a beautiful guitar. Feels great. Sounds great. Question really comes down to this -- am I really getting a Les Paul?

One of my Les Paul guitars is an Alex Lifeson Axcess. Less body depth, Axcess neck joint and body shaping, ribcage contour aka "belly scarf", Floyd Rose vibrato, less weight due to lots of cavities, and doubtlessly a real Les Paul creating real Les Paul tones. [thumbup]

Well of course. A Gibson Les Paul. As you know, many models. I'm about seven years younger than your mother. I agree with her!

Six years younger than your mother here, but I think a bit different about it I believe. [biggrin]

Haha. So you agree that it's not quite as timeless? How long have the Light models been around?

There have been some Studio models with less body depth, and in 2013 they made the limited Custom Lite model in Ebony with gold hardware.

In the end it's about either your doubts persist, or they will go away. I always happened to find a final decision within the return period. Good luck with that, mate.

My thought is that your personal feeling counts. It's you who should be happy with your new purchase.

One of my Les Paul guitars is an Alex Lifeson Axcess. Less body depth, Axcess neck joint and body shaping, ribcage contour aka "belly scarf", Floyd Rose vibrato, less weight due to lots of cavities, and doubtlessly a real Les Paul creating real Les Paul tones. [thumbup]

Six years younger than your mother here, but I think a bit different about it I believe. [biggrin]

There have been some Studio models with less body depth, and in 2013 they made the limited Custom Lite model in Ebony with gold hardware.

In the end it's about either your doubts persist, or they will go away. I always happened to find a final decision within the return period. Good luck with that, mate.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. I haven't come to a decision yet. I'm giving myself until the end of the week. The more I sit with it the more I realize it doesn't have some of the things I expected from a Les Paul. Although some of these things are cosmetic, they're things I believe in. I will likely buy one LP in my lifetime as I'd like to get a variety of guitars. So if I do then I feel it should be as iconic of an LP as possible. The banner does bother me, the thinness feels great but doesn't look like an LP as much as I'd like. I do think having 3 knobs makes it look a little odd in the canon of LPs, although I do find the coil switch convenient. So yes, these things do turn me off and if I'm spending this much money I'd want to make sure that it's something I'm 100% satisfied with.

What is holding me back is that yes, it feels great to play and it sounds great. But I look at it like this -- if I purchased every guitar that I've picked up and felt awesome to play, I'd be in the poor house. I think it's about finding the one you really want and then making sure it plays perfectly for you.

Also, I should add that if I have to wait and see what the 2016 models bring, I'm open to it. I'm realistic. This is a luxury purchase. It's not something I need to do now, just something I want a lot. And that's not a bad thing. But it's also not cause to rush out and force it. If I don't like the banner on the 2014 and the E-tuner on the 2015 and I can't find the right 2013, then I'm okay with waiting. At least this process has narrowed down what I want and I know what models to look at when they come out. So it's been very valuable.

Well here it is. The verdict. I managed to find a store with a 2013 Standard and I bought it. I'm really thrilled. It really has everything I'm looking for in a LP. I know these are harder to come by in stores, so it was a relief to find one and get to play it. Felt great. Sounded great. The weight was perfect. It was the kind of guitar that made me sound like a better player. The irony is that it's also in Honey, so all in all, it's the the Standard Light version I bought earlier this week but with all the improvements I wanted.

Thanks again for all of the advice. You guys have been awesome. I've learned so much and I finally feel comfortable with LPs. Looking forward to discussing more with everyone.

Well here it is. The verdict. I managed to find a store with a 2013 Standard and I bought it. I'm really thrilled. It really has everything I'm looking for in a LP. I know these are harder to come by in stores, so it was a relief to find one and get to play it. Felt great. Sounded great. The weight was perfect. It was the kind of guitar that made me sound like a better player. The irony is that it's also in Honey, so all in all, it's the the Standard Light version I bought earlier this week but with all the improvements I wanted.

Thanks again for all of the advice. You guys have been awesome. I've learned so much and I finally feel comfortable with LPs. Looking forward to discussing more with everyone.

Congrat and good luck, put photos up when you get a chance.

Well, I think you're going to start a NGD topic soon, including... PICS! [love]

Unfortunately I noticed one little flaw last night. There's a chip on the back of the headstock. Normally I don't mind some road wear, but is there any concern that this could lead to more trouble with the headstock down the line? Since the wood is exposed? There's also a couple discolored spots on the lacquer. It looks like theres some of this discoloration near the chip. Is this standard wear or could it mean the guitar was dropped? Has a weakness of some kind?

Sorry I had to remove the pic of the guitar to upload these new ones of the headstock.

post-68304-002024000 1415555480_thumb.jpg

post-68304-095337100 1415555489_thumb.jpg

Archived