Gibson Brands Forums

Help dating more precisely a ES-150DC

Krugie_Mtl

Hi,

I am the new owner of a nice ES-150DC (walnut).

I read a lot about that model, but it seems hard to date it with precision. The serial number system for those years put it somewhere around 1970 and 1975.

Mine has metal tulip machine heads, purple sticker in the body and the hard case is orange in the interior.

I would really like some more background about those instruments.

Best wishes !

I had one about 10 years ago. I liked it but didn't LOVE it. I think my gripe was the skinny late 60s neck.

One thing to remember when dating it is that for whatever reason, THIS model often didn't follow the timeline normally associated with Gibson, i.e. the volute, the "made in USA" stamp, things like that. I've seen some from the early 70s with none of that, therefore misleading you into thinking it's a '69. I haven't seen other Gibson models get weird like this.

I really don't think the features changed much. Mine was a '69 and I think it had an orange label, white plastic tulip tuner knobs, and the ugly black 70s control knobs. I've seen some with "Gibson" stamped into their chrome covers and that typically would date them around late 71 and into 72.

Your best bet would be to go inside and look for numbers stamped on the pots; it'll usually be a 137 or 304 followed by two digits representing the year and the last 2 digits are the week of that year.

This is NOT definitive but if you find pot date codes for the 50th week of 1972 it would be safe to say yours is a 1973 model. It's a "best guess" thing.

Hi,

I am the new owner of a nice ES-150DC (walnut).

I read a lot about that model, but it seems hard to date it with precision. The serial number system for those years put it somewhere around 1970 and 1975.

Mine has metal tulip machine heads, purple sticker in the body and the hard case is orange in the interior.

I would really like some more background about those instruments.

Best wishes !

With the serial number there are lots of sites that can date it for you. Failing that write Gibson.

Mine is a 1968 and is one of my faves. Did someone here say HIGH VOLUME??? And an ES-150??? Gimme a break, Get a Lester :-)

es-150d_sf.jpg

Hi KS,

I tried to have a look inside the guitar with a small mirror.

The only serial number I saw is: 10-058.

I read that late sixties pots did have weird serial numbers. Would it be a case like that ?

Best wishes and thanks again for the help !

I've seen 'other' numbers on pots like that and I have no idea what they mean, unless it's a part number proprietary to that brand. You should find a 7 digit number beginning with 137 or 304. They might have blobbed solder onto that number when they assembled it though. You may end up taking the pots out if you reallly want the truth.

Sometimes (no idea when or why) the number you want is stamped around the rim of the pot. Dig that mirror out one more time.... [biggrin]

Here's a pic I googled. Can you spot the mistake? [flapper]

POT%20CODE%20READING.jpg

And here's one from an early 60s Gibson with the stamp round the rim as I stated:

1961_Centralab_pot.jpg

Thanks again for the info. I thought I found the solution and it keeps getting harder and harder ! At the next checkup, I'll ask the tech to have a look at it. I don't want to mess it out.

I really got the sting on reading about vintage Gibson guitars though !!!!

Archived