Gibson Brands Forums

1976 wine red Les Paul Deluxe with P-90 pickups

Rui Horta Santos

Looks to me this may be a cross between a regular Deluxe and a Pro deluxe - perhaps this is a prototype. According to "Blue Book" and "Les Paul Guitar Bible", the Pro Deluxe wasn't available until 1978 - but the Deluxe was offered in wine red starting in 1975. This is from "Blue Book Guitar Values":-k :

LES PAUL DELUXE:

A few of these models between 1969 and 1971 were produced with 2 single coil P-90 pickups. In 1971, neck volute was introduced, and Cherry, Cherry Sunburst and Walnut finishes became standard. Also during 1971, a left-hand model was introduced. In 1972, the Walnut finish was discontinued, the Tobacco Sunburst finish became standard, and standard humbucker pickups were optional with standard on truss rod cover. In 1975, Natural and Wine Red finishes became options. In 1976, standard humbucker option was discontinued. In 1977, a two-piece body was introduced with a solid one-piece mahogany body and a maple top. In 1981, neck volute was discontinued.

LES PAUL PRO DELUXE (1978-1982 MFG.)

- similar to Les Paul Deluxe, except has ebony fingerboard with crown inlays, chrome hardware, and P-90 pickups, marked "PRO" on truss-rod cover, "Les Paul Model" on unbound headstock, cream colored plastic pickguard, available in Black, Cherry Sunburst, Gold Top, or Tobacco Sunburst finishes, mfg. 1978-1982.

Big Mo has it down.

I have had a Pro Deluxe in Tobacco Sunburst from new and, in common with all Pro's, it has speed knobs and a bound body and, as previously mentioned above, weighs a ton! Sounds great though! It looks completely different from Rui's guitar. E.g.: The pics show Deluxe on the back of the headstock - this is missing on my guitar. In fact, it doesn't say "Deluxe" anywhere. It also has completely different style tuners. Rui's also has the "older" style knobs.

So, IMHO, this is definately NOT a Pro Deluxe.

HTH

Andy

Several comments here refer to the Pro as having an ebony fretboard. From the photos I can't tell for sure, but the fretboard on your guitar appears to be rosewood. That might serve as a clue as well as to whether this was originally a Pro model. In any case, its a very nice looking (and distinctive looking as well) LP.

what i find strange is that the ''les paul- deluxe'' and the first 2 numbers of the serial number are a lot brighter of colour than the rest of the serial number

and i checked your serial number on http://www.guitardaterproject.org and it says its from 2002...

''Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

January 13th, 2002

Production Number: 354 ''

i checked it 2 times and then tried the serial number without the ''00'' and the got this

'' Guitar Info

Serial number unrecognized

Your guitar may have been made prior to 1977, in that case you may need to use the Vintage Panel, simply select all the options that best describe your guitar. If you are still having difficulties please contact the webmaster.''

i dont know what that means but i find the serial number a bit fake, as i explained

• 4 weeks later...

Your Deluxe is a '76

- From 1975-1977 the number is typically found on a decal on the back of the headstock. This should be an 8 digit number that can be dated by the 1st and 2nd digits as follows:

99 = 1975

00= 1976

06 = 1977

The Pro Deluxe has a one piece mahogany body unlike the Deluxe which is a thin piece of maple sandwiched between two pieces of mahogany. What is yours ?

As well many have a maple neck. There are many Deluxe LP's that were routed for P-90's but had mini's in them Gibson made whats called a "goof hider" by some that goes around the excess. They are easy to put P-90's in without moding anything.

As a mater of fact When I got my Pro Deluxe I traded a Deluxe with this goof hider for it. My '78 Pro had been routed out for a full size humbucker. I't's my #1 guitar my #2 is a '71 /'72 Deluxe also routed for full size humbuckers. If I can get my better half to help me I'll post some pictures. Oh ya and the early 70's serials were kinda screwy anyway hince the '71/'72. I just call it a 72.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I'm new to this site, but am intrigued by the question of the 1970s Deluxe with P90 soapbar pickups -- 'cos I've also got one. I've been wondering for years if the pickups were factory fitted or retrofitted by a previous owner. I've had the guitar for at least 15 years: it's a '76 in see-through wine red and the pickup covers are cream. It is definitely NOT a Pro Deluxe (unfortunately) because the fingerboard of my guitar is rosewood, not ebony.

When I bought the guitar, the pickups didn't look any newer than the rest of it. At first I just assumed that they had been fitted from new -- until I tried to find another one, but they all had mini humbuckers.

Incidentally, I know that the 1970s are not regarded as the most illustrious period in Gibson history, but this Deluxe is one of the best playing guitars I've ever owned, matched only by a blonde '63 ES330 (why, dear Lord, did I ever sell that one?) and a '64 Gretsch 6120. I don't care about the volute or the layered body -- it plays like a dream and sounds just fine.

Has a final conclusion been reached over these P90 Deluxes -- genuine originals, or modded? Hope someone can help.

Archived