Gibson Brands Forums

Question about Les Paul's builds

masliko

Hi,can someone tell what it means when it is said "i bought a 07 les paul made in 2011"?

Why are older models made after the new model has come out?(I'm not talking custom shop here).If it is requested ,fair enough but why is this done?

Hello Masliko, and welcome to this nice place.

Some guitars are limited from the start, most of them go out of production without notice but aren't officially discontinued. For some of the latter they decide resuming production to meet demand.

There often have been highly controversial disputed model launches like actually those for 2015. They started chambering LP Standards and changed several other parts, in particular electronics, for the 2008 model year. However, they still made them to previous specs, too, and renamed them Traditional.

In fact, a Traditional made between the 2008 and 2012 model years is built to the image of a 2007 Standard. Same happened to the SG in 2014 when introducing the coil split feature like with the LP Standard in 2012. They introduced the "straight ahead" SG Traditional following the previous SG Standard specs.

Hello Masliko, and welcome to this nice place.

Some guitars are limited from the start, most of them go out of production without notice but aren't officially discontinued. For some of the latter they decide resuming production to meet demand.

There often have been highly controversial disputed model launches like actually those for 2015. They started chambering LP Standards and changed several other parts, in particular electronics, for the 2008 model year. However, they still made them to previous specs, too, and renamed them Traditional.

In fact, a Traditional made between the 2008 and 2012 model years is built to the image of a 2007 Standard. Same happened to the SG in 2014 when introducing the coil split feature like with the LP Standard in 2012. They introduced the "straight ahead" SG Traditional following the previous SG Standard specs.

thank you for your answer.So are the people who are saying "they have a 2007 made in 2011" are just saying because of their knowledge of specs? or is it stated in the serial number?

And are how far do their 2007 models(standards) specs go back?

thank you for your answer.So are the people who are saying "they have a 2007 made in 2011" are just saying because of their knowledge of specs? or is it stated in the serial number?

It can be knowing about specs or personal point of view. Some players consider LP Traditionals as the "real" or "very" Standards because they are carrying forward "old" Standard specs.

Some of the 2007 Standard specs date back to 1983 when they started the nine-hole "Swiss cheese" weight relief now called Traditional weight relief. Remember though that starting with the 2013 model year LP Traditionals are massive. Some other specs were modified over the years, in particular pickups during the 1990s with the advent of the various PAF remakes like '57s and Burstbuckers.

Most players prefer certain specs, in particular when about neck shape and pickups, and Gibson usually tries to offer options meeting demand. That's why I'm wondering how long they will continue their actual strategy around nuts and robot tuners.

Not sure about that. Dating is usually done by the serial number starting in the 70's, with the year and day as part of the serial number. In the last few years Gibson also started putting the model year after the "made in USA" on the headstock. It was then possible to see guitars made late in one year per the serial number but being labeled as the next year. This is similar to cars, you can buy the 2015 models beginning in late 2014.

thanks again for your answers.I have had two LP's and this is interesting take on the issue of weight relief..I had a 78 Standard and I've now got a 07 Standard which i think is magic.I sold the 78 because I'm 5'7 and of a small build.I was playing in a a heavy rock band,doing heaps of shows but after 90 min it was just to heavy for me,i moved over to a strat.The 78 was a dream to play but just to heavy after "rocking out" for 90 min,i was finished.I was at a show about a year ago, one night and this guy was playing this LP and it was just magic.It was cutting through the mix like a surgeons knife through butter and they were playing really loud too(as i like it). After they finished i started chatting to him and he told me that Gibson started "chambering " some LP's some years ago which dropped the weight and (in our opinions anyway)seem to help the guitar cut through the mix at really high volume.I worked in punk/rock club so i had heard a lot of them, but to my taste,this one stood out to me.So i hunted down an 07 and bought it.It took awhile but i eventually found a good one.I'm not saying that this model is better or worse than any other,it just suited my needs and from what i heard at that show that night-i just loved it and wanted one.

I've heard all the arguments about the weight relief topic and know some people don't like it but to me I'm personally better off for it,because I'm not sure if I'd ever buy one again.If i was just playing on my own or at home i probably would have kept the 78.

I personally wouldn't buy a newer model with the robo tuna etc.I just don't like them,I'm to old school.

Any how,that's my story.bye for now and thanks for your answers.

from what I remember the full chambering came in late 2006 and into 2007 (not 2008) otherwise most were the 9-holes

there was 1 model they came out with a couple of years ago built in something like 2011... called the 2008,,

we can't second guess what insaine idea that goes through Henry's head; look at the non-functioning G-force mess ... bi-polar I think...

from what I remember the full chambering came in late 2006 and into 2007 (not 2008) otherwise most were the 9-holes

there was 1 model they came out with a couple of years ago built in something like 2011... called the 2008,,

we can't second guess what insaine idea that goes through Henry's head; look at the non-functioning G-force mess ... bi-polar I think...

I agree! and yes,that is where my questions arose.I was reading people's posts saying they had a"2008 made in 2011".

Does the 2008 LP standard have the modern weight relief or the chambered?

I agree! and yes,that is where my questions arose.I was reading people's posts saying they had a"2008 made in 2011".

Does the 2008 LP standard have the modern weight relief or the chambered?

2008 Standard should be chambered. Modern weight relief started in late 2011 with the 2012 models and some special runs.

Remember they still build 1957 to 1960 Les Paul models. :)

Archived