Gibson Brands Forums

I think I've just had a fight!

Guest Farnsbarns

People get shot often in retaliation. Happens every day.

There are going to be two opinions on what Farns should have or should have not done. But for me, I am on Farns with what he did. I have had multiple occasions where I could have just walked away, but I chose to react on how I felt I was either under a threat, or protecting my property, whether it was my car, or home. I stand by my actions and will act in the same matter if it ever happens again.

Not to sound like some Rambo or what ever the label may be, but if you don't stand up for yourself who will?

The cops? By the time the police would get there, he would be gone.

I don't look to start trouble or to start a confrontation, but damn if I will back away from one if I feel like myself, family or property is being mistreated or damaged. Sure, the pri-- was just hitting his car with his fist, but if Farns had not stopped him when he did, what else would the little pri-- have done.

This could be an on - going discussion on "How Farns should have acted".

I didn't expect this thread to pan out into opposing views, not that there's any issue with that but let me add some more perspective. 14 months ago I was attacked and consciously didn't fight back because I was next to a deep stairwell and on a train platform and I wanted to be concentrating on my surroundings. As a result I suffered a meaningful brain injury from which I still suffer symptoms.

Partly because I was in a safer environment and partly because it was a tough guy kid who was yet to recieve a beating for being a d1ck I decided I wasn't going to put up with having the car kicked so we stopped and I got out. I fully expected him to leg it when a big bloke got out of the imposing black BMW but when he didn't I was prepared to have a row, when he swung at me I was happy to put him in his place. I can't afford another brain injury so I was going to have to stop that happening there and then.

It's all about circumstance. There was no way this kid was carrying a knife, he just wasn't the gangsta type and I took a calculated risk. This kid should have calculated his risks when he kicked the car and when he gave me not only an opportunity, but genuinely a need to hurt him in self defence.

There's been a few occasions when I've said "stop the car" to my wife and she's always said, "don't be an idiot" and carried on driving. She had obviously calculated the risk as very low as well.

Well Farns, lets hope you gave the little scrot something to remember.

Ian

while in any situation, you have to weigh the results of actions, at the same time like a child behaving badly if it is allowed to continue without positve/negative reinforcement, it will continue the action. In my "neck of the woods", this fellow would have been lucky to getaway with just a kick to the package.

It is not common for Americans to run around whipping out guns to solve problems. No matter how many times you are told that it is true.

What!!!?..it has to be true..I saw it on the entrailnet...and if ya sees it there it must be factual everyone knows that...sheesh [flapper]

I didn't expect this thread to pan out into opposing views, not that there's any issue with that but let me add some more perspective. 14 months ago I was attacked and consciously didn't fight back because I was next to a deep stairwell and on a train platform and I wanted to be concentrating on my surroundings. As a result I suffered a meaningful brain injury from which I still suffer symptoms.

Partly because I was in a safer environment and partly because it was a tough guy kid who was yet to recieve a beating for being a d1ck I decided I wasn't going to put up with having the car kicked so we stopped and I got out. I fully expected him to leg it when a big bloke got out of the imposing black BMW but when he didn't I was prepared to have a row, when he swung at me I was happy to put him in his place. I can't afford another brain injury so I was going to have to stop that happening there and then.

It's all about circumstance. There was no way this kid was carrying a knife, he just wasn't the gangsta type and I took a calculated risk. This kid should have calculated his risks when he kicked the car and when he gave me not only an opportunity, but genuinely a need to hurt him in self defence.

There's been a few occasions when I've said "stop the car" to my wife and she's always said, "don't be an idiot" and carried on driving. She had obviously calculated the risk as very low as well.

Farns - I certainly understand why you did what you did. I'm afraid I wouldn't have stopped at just kicking him in the nuts. But that's just me and you're obviously more civilized. I'm 6'2 and 225 pounds & my Dad was a Marine. My brother and I were raised to defend ourselves & we grew up in "da hood" so we really didn't have any choice. The great thing is, back then - if you got in a fight with a guy - you ended up best friends. In that same neighborhood these days - they literally just shoot and kill each other. Stupid waste of life over nothing. Sad.. glad you're okay though brother!

I dont know but Im thinking the Leave It To Beaver days are over.

Ya think? [biggrin]

They've been over for some time. And anyone who thinks they are coming back is nuts.

They're coming back... right after 8-Tracks... and bicycle paper routes! [woot]

Farns, I'm just glad you were smart enough not to bust a knuckle! [thumbup]

Σß

I'm still amazed at how many people around here turn into total d!cks when they get behind the wheel of a car or truck.

Now I'm about the least impatient, aggressive driver out there and I'm generally a really nice guy who hates confrontation. BUT, if someone is being a blatant aggressive jerk to me, my personality can change on a dime and I give it right back. I'm not real big and tough, but I know how to fight and am a lot stronger than I look, so there aren't too many dudes I'm physically afraid of. Like last week, I was with my 24 year old son and I pulled out of a parking lot when this young punk intentionally stepped on the accelerator just to run up on my *ss like he was gonna ram me. I did not cut him off cause he was way back when I started pulling out and if he would have just remained at his same speed our trucks would have never been close to each other. Plus the road I pulled out onto had a red light less than 50 yards from where I came out and traffic was stopped there, so he wasn't getting anywhere any faster. Then he pulls up next to me at the light and starts to yell something, and I just smiled and waved at him and said "hey how's it going buddy?". He starts telling me how I'm smiling at the wrong guy and how he can do this-and-that to me. I just replied back "Well I'm still smiling at you MFer" cause I was actually looking forward to him getting out of his little souped up pick-up truck. But unfortunately him and his little bimbo girlfriend made a right turn and went up the road as I continued straight. [cursing]:rolleyes:

The thing that gets me is it was so unnecessary. Not another mile up the road, another car actually did pull right out on me and cut me off. But, I just slowed down and let them get up to speed. No drama. My day wasn't ruined just because I had to apply my brakes a little. Why do some people people behave like such A-holes? :-k

Oh Bologna. Chances of anyone being shot in the United States are nearly nonexistent. This is precisely because we are not terribly confrontational. There's a great scene in fight club where the club members are assigned the task of going out and starting fights with perfect strangers on the street . The film shows this task is nearly impossible And while that's just a movie it's been my observation that it's pretty well true. You can sit and watch YouTube videos of these clowns pranking people on the streets and you'll notice no one ever stops and beats the crap out of them. Nobody shoots them. Nobody pulls out a knife and stabbed them. At worst they might say a bad word and turn around and walk away. If someone is behaving very badly in public we are, as a society, far more likely to pull out our phone and take pictures of them then we are to intervene and confront that person and stop the action.

haven't spent much time in Northeast 'Bama then have you????

whatever Farns "hooted" at the walker, in this area, would likely have gotten his back window shot out when they "stopped the truck"............

Decatur, Athens, Birmingham, Enterprise... I've been lots of places and everyone likes to say the same thing. "Around here they'll likely blow your brains out just for looking at a guy funny."

But it's all just talk. Brandishing guns is rare. Using them, far more so. And "rare" is the opposition of "likely".

Just hooted at a man in the road and he kicked the car. I told the wife to stop the car and I got out and asked the kid what the hell he was doing. He said "you talking to me" as if he had no idea and he didn't seem like he was dangerous so I said "yeah, you just kicked the car". He came at me and said "I'll kick you too" and swung at me...

Far as I'm concerned, from this point on, it's not about the car, it's self defense. The kid started a fight and you don't take part in a fight to lose. Good job ending it in one shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived