Gibson Brands Forums

Why all the swearing (in guitar magazines)

RudyH

Guitar World magazine publishes a tremendous number of swear words, mostly in quotes of interviewees. Guitar Player is a bit more decent about it by asterisking out a letter or two in the swear words. What is the need for this vulgarity? How low can the standards get?

I guess they figure that either that their readers will find it cool or that their readers will appreciate the interviews being uncensored (as if they're unedited in the first place...). I'm no prude and use curse words here and there if I think it'll make what I say more funny or I accidentally slam my toe into the coffee table (happens more than you would think) and do prefer interviews uncensored, but sometimes it seems like gear reviews and editorials also contain cursing which is a bit much and they're just trying to look cool - and fail, IMO. Personally, if I were someone who a magazine wanted to interview, I'd probably ask them to edit out any cuss words I might accidentally slip out just because I wanted want to appear to be too vulgar.

It's not just guitar mags nowadays. I've read interviews with actors, writers and such, and they all feel it is cool to use such foul language. I don't think it's very classy. Although, I just got finished ranting on another thread about the fact that on this forum if you write *****cats, as in Josie and the *****cats, the word ***** will be censored from the term. Now, if I were using the word ***** to mean something other than cats, I can understand. But this is a lesson about censorship. If you censor a word, then all uses of it become banned, even if it is used in a non offensive way.

My whole deal with censorship comes down to this: we should be adults and censor ourselves in the name of showing some class, so that the powers that be (or the overly sensitive) don't take the right to free speech away from us.

Oh, hell, I'm ranting again. Sorry. Hey, I'm gonna go play my guitar for awhile and get rid of some of this tension.

I tell my kids the same thing my folks told me...If I catch you cursing' date=' I'm going to kick your f**king a$$ you little piece of sh1t!

Just kidding...[/quote']

Oh my god!!!!! I am completely honest with you when I way that this made me spit a half chewed Pnut Butter Twix all over the freakin laptop! Seriously, KSG, you are going to have to give me a warning post that you're getting ready to say some of the stuff you say. I want to live! I don't want to die choking on a Twix bar!

Archived