Gibson Brands Forums

CF100e cherry red demo

JuanCarlosVejar

The CF100 and CF100e are IMHO absolutely great instrument designs. (The bracing, etc., were a bit different on the "e.")

OTOH, they came out at the wrong time - and in ways likely would be "the wrong time" even today for several reasons.

First for "back then," the interest was in "play electric" for guitar. This looks like a "cowboy" acoustic guitar but that kinda music was dying out in popularity and "the better players" were using different, somewhat more feedback resistant, instruments that looked "modern." Neither Roy nor Gene were playing cutaways, either.

Second for "back then," the acoustic crowd was tending toward bigger guitars, and that includes both the real thing "in the boonies local pickers" and the folkies who thought they were copying and improving on the folks out in the boonies. The dreads just plain make more noise and then, with just a PA for a singer and a string band behind 'em without additional instrument amplification, the dreads were "in."

For now?

It's kinda ditto. Folks get hung up over "what strings do I use on a P90 flattop so it sounds like I want it to sound either acoustic or amplified..." The bottom line is that the CF100 or 100e will sound like a CF100 or 100e strung with whatever strings you put on it. It won't sound like a different instrument.

And... although the Epi PR5e and similar shapes have a certain market, the question for Gibson (or Epi for that matter) is whether there's a sufficient marketplace for a higher-end $800-$1,000 Epi or $3,000 Gibson, for a medium-size Florentine cutaway with a mag pup. Or with a mag and piezo as on the Epi Masterbuilts. Other brands have some in those ranges but I don't hear about them setting the marketplace on fire as well as different sorts, especially the bigger bodies.

There are additional factors - such as my real-thing-cowboy friend who has both the 100 and 100e variants who put a Fishman soundhole pup on the 100 - involved too.

But the bottom line likely is the bottom line for Gibson. A short-run $5-6,000 copy? Not for me although I'd wager it'd sell out. Me, would I pay $1,000 for a solidtop Epi "copy" with the Epi Masterbuilt-style dual pup system and case? Absolutely if I could play it just a little bit first.

m

Well you know what they say, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." I wonder why he chose the rather uncommon CF-100E with all the other options available for his signature model? Maybe he saw me play mine? [biggrin] I don't particularly like that color, but it is different.

I've always just loved the shape of the CF's though. An LG with that Florentine cutaway is so seductive. I think they are just a natural for a modern acoustic/electric setup disguised in the original configuration and with modern feedback control you can wail without grabbing for your ears. No thanks on the orange but with a great burst a la Gibson I'd like to have one.

I'd say it should go well today but - I don't think the size/shape of similar guitars from other marques sell all that well. The Epi does all right at a low price tag and high performance regardless that it's all lam. But those old CFs are marvelous.

m

Archived