Gibson Brands Forums

EB-3 SG Three-Point Bridge

tommyb

But the good news is that I used some Gorilla glue I happened to have and smeared it into the holes and pounded the threaded sleeves back in. It's been a month and the bass seems as good as new.

The bridge pulled loose while I was atempting to make some adjustments to string height. Probably my ham-handedness that did it.

But the good news is that I used some Gorilla glue I happened to have and smeared it into the holes and pounded the threaded sleeves back in. It's been a month and the bass seems as good as new.

The bridge pulled loose while I was atempting to make some adjustments to string height. Probably my ham-handedness that did it.

I just bought an EB-3 bass so I'll have to keep my eyes open for this. Thanks for the post and glad you got it worked out.

• 1 month later...

Never heard about that on a Gibson before. Three brand-new MIM FR Fender Stratocasters of mine had this problem. The bushings slipped out while restringing. [thumbdn]

Glad you got your problem solved, too. [thumbup]

I hear about this and other issues as well as seen a few issues with the "Gibson" branded ones more often than you would think to be honest, and it is known ( at least here locally) that gibsons QC has been slipping over the past few years. with that said though I can honestly say I have NEVER ran into any issues with any of the epiphones I have picked up which makes me wonder a couple things, 1. why isn't epiphone the more expensive since they seem to QC'ed better at the factory and never require any finishing from the end user to be playable and 2. why would anyone buy a Gibson just because it says "Gibson" on it LOL.

I just bought an EB-3 bass so I'll have to keep my eyes open for this. Thanks for the post and glad you got it worked out.

if it does happen the correct way to fix it would be to glue wood dowels into the holes and re-drill them, sure you could just use glue but only glue that would stick to metal would be superglue and I personally advise against that. I instead recommend the dowel method using either gorilla wood glue, sig aliphatic resin ( glue for wooden model planes) or some other quality brand of aliphatic wood glue.

• 1 month later...

It has happened to me three times. On an Epi EB-3 (I epoxied it back in place), a little on an Epi Jack Casady (changing the orientation of the bridge helped keep it down once replaced) and most annoyingly on a Gibson Midtown Standard - I had the audacity to stretch my strings and out it popped, chipping the finish as it did so. I took it out and put it back in and it's stayed in place ever since, but grr all the same.

The best attitude for that bridge is to adjust the bottom LOWER to the body...keeps the pressure on the screws downward rather than trying to pull it out of the wood. I have heard of this with Epiphone EB3's as well as the Gibson original...I have one of these from 2012 and I LOVE the growl of that fat neck humbucker, and the real versatility of thses basses - and they just look great.

msp_thumbup.gif

• 4 months later...

The best attitude for that bridge is to adjust the bottom LOWER to the body...keeps the pressure on the screws downward rather than trying to pull it out of the wood. I have heard of this with Epiphone EB3's as well as the Gibson original...I have one of these from 2012 and I LOVE the growl of that fat neck humbucker, and the real versatility of thses basses - and they just look great.

msp_thumbup.gif

Makes perfect sense. This applies to the Casady model bass as well.

Archived