Gibson Brands Forums

Something I never noticed before on my J-35...shim under the nut

DRC

If you ever saw a guitar set-up at the factory you would know this wasn't done at the plant. The nut slots are never cut that deep. Someone was trying to adjust the action and cut them to deep and then not having a nut they just shimmed the old one.

It probably wasn't done at the plant as the set-up tech would have tossed the nut that was cut to deep and put in a new one. It's much easier to just replace the nut than take the time to make a shim and then adjust it to fit. It's possible but certainly not something that a tech with a box full of proper fret nuts at hand would do. It would just take to much time and never pass inspection.

A new fret nut will cost a couple of dollars and if you asked Gibson would probably send you a hand full for free. It might be a good time to experiment with a couple of different materials just to see if there is any difference.

I'm not apologizing for Gibson. They just wouldn't or couldn't take the time to do this.

I'm not professing to know about the Gibson plant , but that's what made me wonder it wasn't done at the shop.

reeks of some wally making a bum of the job and covering it up due to no nuts

BigKahune.... Yes, it's the original Montana nut. I bought the guitar only a couple days after the store received it from Gibson. ...

I just thought my fellow forum members would find this factory nut shimming interesting.

Thanks. And yes, it's interesting because it's not what I would expect from Gibson Montana. Perhaps it was setup at the shop when it arrived.

At any rate, it's very odd. I noticed as someone else did, the slots are pretty deep as you go to the treble side, while the low E slot is at the depth (shallow) I would expect. So I'm wondering if there's something going on with the nut/neck/body/bridge/saddle geometry that caused the setup guy to shim nut so he had enough height on the bass side to get the setup right. Possibly the neck isn't set at the correct angle or slightly twisted?

TorzalGuitarTwistL.jpg

I think the shim under the nut is a sign that Gibson really cares about their guitars and skilled, observant technicians do the quality control. A problem was picked up by the quality control and it was fixed before the guitar left the factory. A $100 guitar would leave the factory with the nut too low and they would say "close enough... let the owner find the problems."

Not all So called luthiers are Good at there trade.. Most take short cuts and are a little glue happy .. seen a few like that.. and they worked as Gibson authorized repair techs.. to bad Gibson does not monitor there Repair depots better.. after all ,,its the Gibson brand being represented for top notch service.. I know Yorkville from what ive seen doesnt give a rip. or it seems that way.. to give crappy service on new guitars like that..

I think the shim under the nut is a sign that Gibson really cares about their guitars and skilled, observant technicians do the quality control. A problem was picked up by the quality control and it was fixed before the guitar left the factory. A $100 guitar would leave the factory with the nut too low and they would say "close enough... let the owner find the problems."

Did you read the last post made before you commented? Gibson states it is not a shim.

DRC, I hate to see this on the pictures you posted. What you say about is my opinion too. My luthier changed for me the tusk saddle and nut with good bone ones. Important thing for a Gibson is the perfection.

Pictures are tough to use to 'diagnose' a problem. The 2 from the OP show what appeared to be a shim. One commenter thought the reflection of a string on the torque nut cover was a crack/split. I'm curious as to why there appears to be such an uneven edge on the black headstock line where the nut sits. It seems almost like there is filler or the slot was cut with a serrated bread knife - causing the nut to appear to be deeper under the 6th string and/or to be shimmed. I wonder if someone bought this guitar on a trial basis and messed with the nut and then returned it. And/or the retailer's tech messed with it. Jeremy states it is not a shim. I believe. like Wee Davy - those of us who've inspected our Bozeman nuts are probably not seeing anything like what this picture shows. Curiouser...

#1. It's unlikely a shim, because the supposed shim is even with or even above the top of the headstock. For a shim to work, it would have to leave some wood on both long sides of the nut slot in order to hold the nut in place. Otherwise, with nothing to hold it place, the nut would just slide off the shim.

#2. It would be more time consuming (and thus expensive) to shim a nut in a factory setting (measuring, cutting, filing, fine sanding) than to just simply replace the entire nut (which are already cut to spec by the vendor). That would only take a few minutes. In a factory setting, time = money.

#3. As I said in an earlier post, and as conformed by Gibson, it's the line left over from where the nut was masked by tape before the guitar was sprayed with nitro. MANY of my guitars display the same thing.

Red 333

Seems reasonable Red.

I wish the OP would come back with a comment - he can put his eyes on it. Seems a bit curious to me that in the side view of the nut, it appears that there's a divot in the headstock at the bass end of the nut and an unstained piece of wood (not white) under the nut.

Nutshim2_zps09efa992.jpg

Seems a bit curious to me that in the side view of the nut, it appears that there's a divot in the headstock at the bass end of the nut and an unstained piece of wood (not white) under the nut.

Nutshim2_zps09efa992.jpg

BK - Yes, I find this to be the most interesting aspect of whatever has happened here. The headstock veneer tapers off to almost a zero thickness as it approaches the nut. So whereas the nut would normally be seated into a pocket created by the headstock veneer and fingerboard, the end of the nut facing the headstock is fully exposed.

Some think it's overspray or a problem with masking tape. Some that there is veneer and it's uneven. To me the picture looks like there is black filler that stops short of the 6th string spot exposing the 'lower nut'.

Sad that DRC's only Gibson (first ?) turned out to have a major cosmetic flaw that is stumping the stars. I still find it hard to believe this guitar passed QC before it shipped from Bozeman and again passed QC at the Dealer.

Maybe a customer tried this one out at the retail store and banged it, causing a need for a cover up repair? I'm out of ideas. DRC - it's been a few days - anything you can contribute so we're not left hanging?

Archived