Gibson Brands Forums

Pick The Melbourne Cup Winner for Me, Please!!!!!!

BluesKing777

Thought you might have fun picking the winner of our big horsey race - Melbourne Cup by picking by name only!

Race is in 2 3/4 hours from now...

List, and the experts never get it!:

Admire Rakti

Ultra impressive last start and Caulfield Cup form always stands up. Only rises half a kilo and he'll love the longer trip. He looks clearly the one to beat.

Cavalryman (scratched)

Fawkner

Comes here in career best form, and he ran a big race last year after getting a mile back. Expect him to race much closer and be right in the finish.

Red Cadeaux

Old marvel that seems to save his best for this day each year. Reports are he's in similar shape as last year so expect him to run another big race.

Protectionist

Couldn't quicken under the big weight at his first run here but he stormed home over the last 200m. Fitter and suited out to the longer trip. He's a big chance.

Sea Moon (Scratched)

Seismos

Kept grinding away in the Caulfield Cup. He'll grind out the trip but will find a few of these too quick. Rough place claims.

Junoob

Good win two back and he kept finding the line last start. With a perfect run in the first half of the field he's a good value chance.

Royal Diamond

Old Boy that tends to mix his form. The trip isn't a concern, if he runs up to the St Leger trial two starts back he could run a race at big odds.

Gatewood

He's racing in career best form having not missed a place this season. The wide draws no help but he's so honest he'll run a race at a big price.

Mutual Regard

Lightly raced with a terrific record around this distance, and he comes off a win in the Ebor which can be a good form line. Oliver to ride, he has to be included.

Who Shot Thebarman

Strung the two good wins together and he held his spot last start when not suited around Caulfield. Back onto the big track and he's won at the trip. Good value for exotics.

Willing Foe

Didn't quite measure up last start in top grade but was going well before that. He'll run the trip better than a few and will handle a dry track. Cannot be overlooked.

My Ambivalent

Quality mare that comes here off four month break. She ran a huge race first-up last time in Dubai at G1 level. If she found that form she's not the worst.

Precedence

Hasn't measured up in the race previously and he's not racing at well this time in. Not for us from the wide gate.

Brambles

Ran a big race two back but was only fair in the Mackinnon. He's a query at the trip especially having to work early from the wide gate. Prefer others.

Mr O'Ceirin

Only racing fair this time in and needs a wet track to do his best. Looking elsewhere.

Au Revoir

French visitor that ran a solid race when leading last start. Fitter for the run but the wide draw means he'll have to work early. Rough place claims only.

Lidari

Ran a solid race not beaten too far last start. He'll get a soft run but is a query at a strong two miles. We think he'll struggle in the straight.

Opinion

Big run two starts back but only fair at his last start. He'll grind out the trip but needs to lift to beat some of these. Rough place claims.

Araldo

Looks the best roughie amongst the locals. He's stormed home from a mile back his last two and looks like he'll run out the two miles. Ridden quiet he'll be strong late.

Lucia Valentina

Flying this prep and she hit the line as hard as Admire Rakti last start. With a perfect run from the good gate, if they can hold her up for as long as possible she'll be somewhere in the finish.

Unchain My Heart

Not racing well enough to get near these.

Signoff

Promising stayer that put them away with ease on Saturday. Way down on 51kg, expect him to position somewhere just off the pace and be strong to the line. One of the main chances

BluesKing777.

I got a partner downtown. He runs the central office of the Western Union. Race results from all over the country come in…and go across his desk to the bookies. All he does is hold them up until he can call us to get a bet down on the winner. Then he releases the results to the bookies. We clean up on a race that’s already been run.

The great injustice of this race is that BK777 gets a public holiday in Melbourne while poor FB in Sydney only gets to go to the pub across the road for half an hour!

As for Euroaussie ...he's always on holiday.

I got Gatewood in a sweep..I think its a solid performer..as long as it doesn't rain as it may have humidity issues and need a truss rod adjustment.

The great injustice of this race is that BK777 gets a public holiday in Melbourne while poor FB in Sydney only gets to go to the pub across the road for half an hour!

As for Euroaussie ...he's always on holiday.

I got Gatewood in a sweep..I think its a solid performer..as long as it doesn't rain as it may have humidity issues and need a truss rod adjustment.

Half hour to go...

I'm going Lucia Valentina and Protectionist $10 each way......

No FB, BK is working (contract hourly rate and rotten time to lose a day's pay with Xmas ........)....no pub either....

BluesKing777.

enough winnings for a new guitar BK ?

You haven't bought anything in ages.

must be at least a couple of weeks

Probably enough for an Esteban!

Absolutely nowhere to put another, but some guitar supplies could be handy!

On a sad note, one of the horses collapsed and died when it got back to the stalls, and another hurt its leg badly when coming off the track and got spooked when someone waved a flag. Huge crowd watching - 150,000.

BluesKing777.

Probably enough for an Esteban!

Absolutely nowhere to put another, but some guitar supplies could be handy!

On a sad note, one of the horses collapsed and died when it got back to the stalls, and another hurt its leg badly when coming off the track and got spooked when someone waved a flag. Huge crowd watching - 150,000.

BluesKing777.

well , that's always a sad side to horse racing.

but then again , with the recent evidence of how they glue nuts in , there's a need for lots of dead horses.

Archived