Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup wiring on my SG with coil-split?

Madness

Hey, can anyone tell me what colors and wires go where? I have an SG GT (they have coil-splitted 490/498 combo) and im switching to BKP MQs (humbucker sized p90) with 3 conductor wiring for coil-tap, so i wanna know how to do this if i can get some help. Cos i guess if anyone knows all the colors of the wires i can just take em off and lead em together:) Any other help or tips for changing pups are welcome, i dont wanna leave it to a guitar tech, never know if they put the pups the wrong way or whatever.. ive heard some scary blunders;) So how do i go about doing this in general? One thing that confuses me is, since i have coil-split humbuckers they have 4 wires right? How does all these go? One to the tone knob, one to the volume knob, one to the three way switch, and then what, one for the coil-split (which is the tone knob push-pull), but this doesnt make sense since the coil-tapped p90 only have 3 wires, so how do you wire the coil-tap?

Do i just look where each of the wires from the knobs and switch go and then check how the wiring is on the new pickups (assume they include instructions) and then match? Does the quality/price of the soldering iron really mather? What soldering wire should i use? material?

Ok, got the pickups, tried wiring them the same as the humbuckers, cant get the tap working. I have grounded the black and bare to the volume as usual, but i cant figure where the "tap" and "hot" wires should go. Can i get some help?

Archived