Gibson Brands Forums

The Restless Generation

fretplay

Fate dropped the book The Restless Generation by Pete Frame into my lap and I must say I really enjoyed it.

There is not a great deal written about this time as so much is dominated by the 60s and Beatles but this book explains a different time zone altogether.

A most enjoyable book, just thought fellow members on the forum might like it.

I'm almost done reading Buddy Holly's biography by Ellis Amburn. A very good read. He goes into pretty good detail of The Crickets tour(s) of England and Australia. There's little doubt that England was hungry for Rock n Roll and the book does have more than a few pages about the early days of John lennon, Paul McCartney, Keith Richard, et al.

Next in line to read is a memoir type book about Johnny Cash by Marshall Grant, his bass player.... an astounding bass player by the way. Got the job done. I think it's called "I was there when it happened".

I'll likely grab a copy of the Restless Generation. Thanks for the heads-up.

I'm almost done reading Buddy Holly's biography by Ellis Amburn. A very good read. He goes into pretty good detail of The Crickets tour(s) of England and Australia. There's little doubt that England was hungry for Rock n Roll and the book does have more than a few pages about the early days of John lennon, Paul McCartney, Keith Richard, et al.

Next in line to read is a memoir type book about Johnny Cash by Marshall Grant, his bass player.... an astounding bass player by the way. Got the job done. I think it's called "I was there when it happened".

I'll likely grab a copy of the Restless Generation. Thanks for the heads-up.

I think you will enjoy it as it is well written too. I was in my early teens in the 50s and had a friend who's father was a sailor from Liverpool to Maine, he would bring home records and we would get down in the basement and listen to them, I can remember my hair standing on end with the first chord.

Paul and George saw The Crickets at Liverpool but they didn't find their way to my part of the woods, Sunderland North East England.

You can hear where the Beatles influences came from but where the influences came from for the advanced chordings of later songs is a mystery.

I'll give Buddy Hollys biography a go, thanks for that.

Archived