Gibson Brands Forums

Ever had an MRI scan?

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm just on my way home from work early because I have to go to a hospital for an MRI scan. People keep telling me it's a very unpleasant experience, clostrophobic, uncomfortable for an extended period and loud.

Anyone had one? Just how bad is it?

I had some MRI scans in my life and will have my next one tomorrow. It is very loud indeed, but I always wear ear protection, and the intense low frequencies won't cause hearing loss.

The tube isn't something which would shock me. The very inconvenience to me is having to stay stock-still for about 45 minutes and in several cases like tomorrow in pretty uncomfortable positions.

Hope this helps. Other than X-raying, MRI scans are a harmless way of medical examination.

Hi Farnsbarns, i had to have a MRI brain scan 7 years ago. All i remember is being lead into a dimly lit room, the technicians/doctors were in another room looking out through a huge glass window (reminded me of a recording studio). It is noisy, kind of reminded me of a washing machine. I don't like confined spaces, but it wasn't that bad. I remember being handed a panic button if at any time i wanted them to stop (i gripped the hell out of it). I know its easier said than done, but just relax, think of your guitars/amps/gear. I find this works for me even when i have to go to the dentist.

Hope it goes okay for you.

Farns,

My dear wife has one every six months. She is not fond of the experience but we are both happy that a technology exists that can monitor her chronic condition. She tries to go to a quiet, peaceful place in her mind for the time she spends "in the tube".

I have had more than I like to think about.

Had another one about 2 weeks ago.

They are not that bad.

Only part I hate about them is I have a Very bad back < 4 level spinal fusion> and you have to lay on a flat table as you go into the scan. They have to prop my legs up for the duration of the scan, to take the pressure off my back. The noise is loud, but with the ear plugs you can deal with it.

The time of the M.R.I. can vary from 15 min. to close to an hour<my longest one>. But for the long ones they can split up the time inside the tube.

Nothing to worrying about.

I actually fell asleep during an M.R.I. about 2 years ago.

Between an M.R.I. and so many of the other tests I have had, some of which were very painful, I would take the M.R.I. over the tests any day.

Piece of cake really.

Farns, I had one a few weeks ago, it's not that bad, you've just got to stay still, it's a bit noisy and claustrophobic, but there are worst things. Since my MRI scan, they've now told me that I've got to have a Lumber Puncture, now that I'm not looking forward to.

You'll be alright, trust me.

Ian

Farns, I've had about 70. I'm an MRI Radiologist and I have regularly scanned myself when tweaking protocols over the last 25 years. If you can relax and not think about being in an enclosed space, then it is a nice experience. I close my eyes, assure myself that I can crawl out at any time and it goes by quickly.

Compared to what used to be done, especially for brains, where one would get air injected into the spine then strapped into a chair and turned upside down to see the outline of the ventricular system of the brain, this is a piece of cake.

I had one in 2007 and another in 2008. The first one... they didn't give me any warning, they just hit a few buttons and all of a sudden the inside of the chamber was only a few inches from my nose and I couldn't move. It was not pretty. I slammed my eyes shut but it was too late. I 'knew' where I was. I endured it but not without brain panic.

The second one, I asked them to please tell me before they hit the buttons to roll me in there and one more favor... when I'm out of the machine, tell me so. Between those two points in time, my eyes will be slammed shut tighter than conjunctivitis could ever glue them shut.

I'm not claustrophobic per se, but given the tight quarters AND the inability to move and I'm in a bad state. Ditto for heights. I don't care that I'm "up on the roof" unless I'm wearing slippery shoes or otherwise unsure of my footing, then I will drop into a fetal position and shiver until someone guides me down.

I'm kidding, but not by much.

I've had several. Most went okay and I have even fallen asleep during a couple.

I did have one bad experience with one of the later procedures. I still wonder if it was due in part to some of my meds.

It was in a mobile unit and was extremely loud and I also experienced my first ever attack of claustrophobia.

If you have acute hearing, have them give you something extra to cover your ears after putting in the plugs.

They will have a frame to help keep one's head still which will have room for, and hold in place, a small towel or such on each side.

Covering your eyes with a towel before going into the tube can prevent the uneasiness in the confined space. No big deal then!

Hope your results are positive.

Σß

Guest Farnsbarns

Well, it's done. Nothing really. I joked as I got out that my brother would enjoy it because it sounds like his record collection. The guy joked back that Craftwerk live in the scanner. I chuckled and then he said "we must be the only 2 people on the planet who know who Craftwerk are".

They gave me the air-tube headphones (no metal allowed, obviously) but they put a popular music radio station on. That was about the worst part. Either my workplace is full of soft, pansies or I'm very tolerant of these things. As far as I'm concerned I just had a nice lie down.

Guest Farnsbarns

Glad your done with it.

What size was the machine? . Traditional 24"/60cm diameter (tight), Open Bore 28"/70cm (4"/10cm can make a big difference)? .In my area Open is also a choice.

I would guess 28 but wouldn't want to swear it.

Guest Farnsbarns

Farns, I've had about 70. I'm an MRI Radiologist and I have regularly scanned myself when tweaking protocols over the last 25 years. If you can relax and not think about being in an enclosed space, then it is a nice experience. I close my eyes, assure myself that I can crawl out at any time and it goes by quickly.

Compared to what used to be done, especially for brains, where one would get air injected into the spine then strapped into a chair and turned upside down to see the outline of the ventricular system of the brain, this is a piece of cake.

Ha ha. I wonder if you're aware that I know you from FSGC (Charlie)!? I had forgotten you're a radiologist though. As you can see above, it was fine, as you say.

MRI was 1/100th the discomfort compared to the Vestibular Testing test I got done in July. An MRI is next for me.

When I had an MRI in the past it was nice and easy despite having a double session, lower and upper back.

I hope you did not have too much caffeine today, because that does not help being still and relaxed, at least in my case.

Well, it's done. Nothing really. I joked as I got out that my brother would enjoy it because it sounds like his record collection. The guy joked back that Craftwerk live in the scanner. I chuckled and then he said "we must be the only 2 people on the planet who know who Craftwerk are".

Who are they? A Kraftwerk tribute band maybe?

rct

I might be the most claustrophobic anxiety ridden person in the world when it comes to getting an MRI.Well suprise! the last two I had were no sweat at all.

The last one was about 6 months ago and it was a new machine called and open MRI same as the office it was called.No claustrophobic tunnel the sides were open so you could see all around you when in the machine. The one before that one about 2 years ago was a weird MRI machine you actually sat in a chair and they put something like a basket helmet on me then tipped the chair back,I could still see the TV that was on.All MRI machines are noisy like being inside a jack hammer but they have always given me earplugs so not bad at all.The chair one gave me headphones so I could hear the tv I was watching.I did have a bit of a problem with the chair one that tilted back.I have very large shoulders,combination of working out a lot in my younger days and having some extra weight on me so it was a bit tight in there sort of like the tunnel ones but more open.If you have a choice ask for the Open MRI it is a breeze without the sides on it.Sometimes the older tunnel ones puts a mirror above your head so you can see your feet and they have a fan blowing from the back of the machine.Best thing keep your eyes closed and you should also get a ball like object to squeeze that rings in the techs booth if you freek out and they have to let you out.Hope this helps.

If all else fails just lay back and think of England!

Between the nerve damage & surgery at L4 - L5 in the spine, and the cancer, I've had quite a few MRIs.

Most of the facilities in this area are really nice (headphones w/music of your choice piped in, TV w/audio through the headphones, etc.), and of course, as buliwyf mentioned, there have been"open" MRIs available for the last 8 years or so. They vary from laying in the tube except your head & shoulders to larger tubes that are far less claustrophobia inducing, to the ones where you sit up-right and the entire front is open.

Yes, they are your doctors & technicians, but let's not forget that ultimately, they work for you and you have every right to request the procedure be done in a manner that is most comfortable for you. IF there's a valid reason why it needs to be done one way as opposed to the other, they'll explain why, but I've found that anytime they've been able to accommodate me, they've done so without question.

It's your body and your health. NObody will advocate for you better that you will. Speak up!

Archived