Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - 12 Frets & A Deep Body

zombywoof

Conducted a bit of purge here the last few weeks. Two guitars and an amp gone. So I took a bit of my new found booty and finally bought a guitar I had been thinking about a long time and was actually sitting in the house being sent to me for a test drive. No, not one of those 12 fret deep body babies. I did not take in that much. But a Kay-made Oahu.

These were among the best guitars Kay had to offer. In the day they sold for as much as a Martin D-28. The cool thing about these Oahus is they share the same body specs as the Gibson Nick Lucas. Made during the first half of the 1930s the guitar has a red spruce top, curly maple body and X bracing. Has a 1 13/16" nut and 2 5/16" string spread at the bridge. About as good as it gets for fingerpicking. Although most of these toted square necks (the Oahu Publishing Company's bread and butter was publishing Hawaiian Guitar lessons and song sheets) this one has a factory round neck. This guitar just roars with a beautiful deep, round low end. Definitely got a bit of nasty attitude. Overall the guitar is in nice shape. The bridge and pickguard are replacements. Still has its clipped plate Grover butter bean tuners though. There is a neck set in the guitar's future. But as it plays just fine up to the 10th fret no big hurry.

OahuJumbo_zpsc0783afb.jpg

OahuJumbo3_zps5a44e98f.jpg

OahuJumbo4_zpsed775673.jpg

Beauty!!! Congrats……any chance getting some sound samples??? Would love to hear that one!

Dream on [biggrin] !

...and from the "What cost faded 'rose?" thread:

I had also been on a seemingly endless search for a deep body 12 fretter that would not empty the wallet. My journey took my on a completely different route. But that is another story for another day.

Wow, small body maple 12 fret- didn't see that one coming. Congrats & enjoy.

Ya'll and your sound clips. I still make coffee in a percolator for crying out loud.

You have to watch these though as around 1935 Kay re-designed them going with a larger lower bout, thinner body and ladder bracing.

Zomby…what does a neck reset cost in your neck of the woods?

That's very reasonable…..

I think so. Biggest pain is he is over 2 hours away. The dirt "road" (and I use the word kindly) his place is off of is hard enough to negotiate on a beautiful sunny day. I would hate to tackle it in the snow. But the guy is a wizard with old guitars. If I want to avoid the schlep I can also go to Mass Street Music which is about 1/2 hour down the road. They do great work but will empty your wallet more.

I think so. Biggest pain is he is over 2 hours away. The dirt "road" (and I use the word kindly) his place is off of is hard enough to negotiate on a beautiful sunny day. I would hate to tackle it in the snow. But the guy is a wizard with old guitars. If I want to avoid the schlep I can also go to Mass Street Music which is about 1/2 hour down the road. They do great work but will empty your wallet more.

Probably worth the long drive to avoid it becoming your slide fave! Looks great!

(A bass player in a band I was in use to live somewhere like that! We often rehearsed there - no noise complaints, but driving home was always wayyyy harder than getting there! [blink] [blink] [blink] )

BluesKing777.

Archived