Gibson Brands Forums

No Sound Hole Label

Dieter

Hi folks, I'm looking at a custom shop RS45 (J45) on Craigslist. I asked the seller for a photo of the sound hole label and he said there was no label in the guitar. Have any recent (2009) Gibson acoustics ever shipped without this label or should I pass on this one? Thanks for your advice.

Pass, it sounds dodgy to me. You could ask the seller for the serial No, and e-mail Gibson about it, they are usually pretty good and will tell you al about when the guitar was built etc. Presumably it's at a good price.

Ian

It's worth asking if there is a number stamped on the neck block inside the guitar. Some models come with no label.

Thanks, the seller did say that the serial number was stamped on the neck block and included this among other images of the guitar.

post-63453-061708600 1415472719_thumb.jpg

On some models, in the interest of historical accuracy, they are marked as Nick commented - no inside label, and sometimes no headstock serial, instead the serial is stamped on the neck block.

Looks like the model is - RS45TBNH1 - RS:Round Shoulder, 45:J-45, TB:TriBurst or Traditional Burst, NH:Nickel Hardware

Nothing there indicates some type of historical model or reissue, but it would be with a neck block stamp.

<edit> If it's the Tri-burst it might be a 2009 1950s reissue which had the stamped neck block

Archived