Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Advanced Jumbo Amberburst w/ Trance Amulet

wonderful remark

I got this beauty a week ago.

However, I had a crazy work schedule and today is the first day I am actually spending some time with my new AJ.

The specs are;

• Adirondack Red Spruce top with Bhilwara Rosewood back and sides

• Trance Amulet M

• Amberburst

• Gold vintage open-back tuners

She sounds great. though my Bhilwara back and sides look like EIRW, it sounds more like RW than Hog.

Ren Ferguson has said that this tonewood sound somewhere between RW and Hog, but to me it's way more RW than Hog.

This is the first time for me to play an AJ, it sounds like a balanced HD-28 with Gibson's thumpy-ness.

I'll get some good pictures later but here's a phone picture for now.

one concern I have is, it came with really no documents.

just a hang tag that says that it's gone through QC.

As a customshop instrument, shouldn't it come with a COA and a gold pamphlet that says "American Made" and such?

By the way, I purchased from an authorized dealer and the dealer didn't know of such paperwork and told me to contact Gibson directly....

FullSizeRender.jpg

I have a CS AJ that didn't come with a COA - not unusual. If it's a new purchase it should have a gold pamphlet and the final inspection ticket/check-off list.

Beautiful guitar. My AJ is RW/Adi - that combo sounds soo good.

Congrats and enjoy! . [thumbup]

Congratulations! I have a standard AJ that I installed the Trance M in. Great combination. BTW, I have a SCSJ with the custom shop stamp that did not come with a CofA. I think it's hit or miss, but pretty sure all Legend series have one.

Rich

• 4 years later...

I got this beauty a week ago.

However, I had a crazy work schedule and today is the first day I am actually spending some time with my new AJ.

The specs are;

• Adirondack Red Spruce top with Bhilwara Rosewood back and sides

• Trance Amulet M

• Amberburst

• Gold vintage open-back tuners

She sounds great. though my Bhilwara back and sides look like EIRW, it sounds more like RW than Hog.

Ren Ferguson has said that this tonewood sound somewhere between RW and Hog, but to me it's way more RW than Hog.

This is the first time for me to play an AJ, it sounds like a balanced HD-28 with Gibson's thumpy-ness.

I'll get some good pictures later but here's a phone picture for now.

one concern I have is, it came with really no documents.

just a hang tag that says that it's gone through QC.

As a customshop instrument, shouldn't it come with a COA and a gold pamphlet that says "American Made" and such?

By the way, I purchased from an authorized dealer and the dealer didn't know of such paperwork and told me to contact Gibson directly....

I found this thread googling as I do research on this particular model. I'm in the market for a 2nd AJ. The one I currently own is a 2002 standard with sitka spruce and EIR with a natural top. AJs are my favorite guitar so I want another one and I figure I might as well go for one that has red spruce top and I LOVE this amber burst, it's just stunning. My one concern, however, is the b/s wood which I believe to be bhilwara. As you mention, Ren Ferguson himself says bhilwara is the best of both worlds from Hog and RW. I'm personally not a fan of the Hog tone so that nugget of information is scaring me away from buying the amber burst I have on my watchlist.

From what you are saying, at least with your model, the tone resembles RW much more than Hog. I know this thread is several years old but could you give any more details about your guitar and maybe some more photos, particularly of the b/s? The one I'm eyeing looks a lot like EIR but the seller is not certain either. I hate the mystery around this particular model but I'm happy to have found this thread. Happy Friday, everyone!

I found this thread googling as I do research on this particular model. I'm in the market for a 2nd AJ. The one I currently own is a 2002 standard with sitka spruce and EIR with a natural top. AJs are my favorite guitar so I want another one and I figure I might as well go for one that has red spruce top and I LOVE this amber burst, it's just stunning. My one concern, however, is the b/s wood which I believe to be bhilwara. As you mention, Ren Ferguson himself says bhilwara is the best of both worlds from Hog and RW. I'm personally not a fan of the Hog tone so that nugget of information is scaring me away from buying the amber burst I have on my watchlist.

From what you are saying, at least with your model, the tone resembles RW much more than Hog. I know this thread is several years old but could you give any more details about your guitar and maybe some more photos, particularly of the b/s? The one I'm eyeing looks a lot like EIR but the seller is not certain either. I hate the mystery around this particular model but I'm happy to have found this thread. Happy Friday, everyone!

You won't know if you like the way it sounds until you play it. Anything else is pure speculation.

Archived