Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson is awesome

PB26

So I went to a big guitar store last night, and another one today with the intention of trying a bunch of guitars to see if I was missing anything. I tried Fender, ESP, LTD, Schecter, Ibanez, EVH, Jackson, Musicman, PRS, and a few others. The only one I was moderately impressed by was the Schecter Blackjack SLS, which has a super slick neck and a slick ebony fretboard. But it left me with that 'not as good as what I got' feeling. I did get some cool tones out of it but none could touch my 2013 SG outfitted with an Iommi pickup.

So, as the title says, Gibson is awesome. My only real complaint is that I can't do open pull offs on the first string because the string gets caught up in the little space between the fret wire and the binding. But I'm not a big first string open pull-off guy so I don't really care.

So, as the title says, Gibson is awesome. My only real complaint is that I can't do open pull offs on the first string because the string gets caught up in the little space between the fret wire and the binding. But I'm not a big first string open pull-off guy so I don't really care.

Although I'm not pulling off strings regularly, this would annoy me, too. Fortunately, none of my Gibsons with bound boards has the problem.

Bence aka btoth started this topic on filling these gaps about one month ago:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/116011-correcting-nib-separation-on-les-pauls/

My only real complaint is that I can't do open pull offs on the first string because the string gets caught up in the little space between the fret wire and the binding. But I'm not a big first string open pull-off guy so I don't really care.

My Signature T had that issue.

Actually I would pull the string right off the fret.

So I took the nut out and replaced it with a better Graphtech (because I had the factory one out anyway)and I biased the low E side when positioning nut to get rid of that issue.

Now I won't ever have that issue again....

So I went to a big guitar store last night, and another one today with the intention of trying a bunch of guitars to see if I was missing anything. I tried Fender, ESP, LTD, Schecter, Ibanez, EVH, Jackson, Musicman, PRS, and a few others. The only one I was moderately impressed by was the Schecter Blackjack SLS, which has a super slick neck and a slick ebony fretboard. But it left me with that 'not as good as what I got' feeling. I did get some cool tones out of it but none could touch my 2013 SG outfitted with an Iommi pickup.

I have to say the second I got my SG I was pretty much sold on Gibson (Although there are a couple of USA made Jackson and Fenders I'd like). I made the switch from a top of the lime LTD EC and it was such a disappointing guitar for what I paid. The fit and finish was laughable, the finish was so plasticy you'd never be able to tell the guitar was actually made of wood without taking the control covers off, and it sounded like garbage (active pups: never, ever again). My SG plays better, feels better, sounds infinitely better, and is so much nicer. The only thing I don't like is the binding nibs on the frets. It looks like someone carved them out of the binding with a plastic knife. They look like crap and take up way too much usable fret space, which makes pull-offs on the high e next to impossible without pulling the string off the fret (at least for me anyways...my pull-offs are a work in progress).

While I wouldn't say all Gibsons are awesome (don't get me started on the 2015 lineup), from what I've seen in the last couple of years, Gibson is putting out some pretty great stuff.

As my signature says, proud owner of a '85 Kramer. Original buyer, I even remember where it was hanging on the wall, in the Sherman Oaks, GC (if its still there, I think it moved). Lusted after it, had to have it. Saved up the $1200 to buy it (about $2650 in today's dollars). Sure, I enjoyed playing it for a while... but I ran into the same thing as all my other guitars. I never got the sound I wanted, therefore I never had the real desire to play. Whether it was a combination of things, or that I just didn't own the right guitar... not really sure.

I do know, that when I first sat down with the Epi and then the Gibson I traded it in for... a desire to play, that didn't exist in years, was there. I know, when I plug my LP into my amp, I want to and usually do end up playing 3 or 4 hours. If its my Kramer, I might play 1/2 hour.

Strongly considering trading in/selling the one axe, I swore I'd be buried with. Because I already know I like playing the SGJ (that I only paid $299 for a few weeks ago and still have a couple more days before I can pick it up)... more than the Kramer also. Only reason I hang onto it, at this point, is the investment.

Now, if it was a 2015 Gibson, forget everything I just wrote. [flapper]

Archived