Gibson Brands Forums

Thread Title Deleted by Author

SoundMaster

You find this all annoying?? pictures and words...?

Its just words we use to describe stuff.. does it really matter what words we use as long as people understand what you are saying?

And I personally find emoticons useful as the help express what im trying to say... One of the issues of communicating via text is you can loose the emotion and intent depending on what you read into what is written which can cause miscommunication...

:unsure: +:-@[unsure][thumbup]

:P

=P~

1. Using the emoticon - [thumbup] - more than once every 100 posts.

2. NGD - this one is simply 'played out', IMO

3. Stable - Do we own horses or guitars?

4. Arsenal - Do we own weapons or guitars?

5. 'burst

---

[rolleyes] ...Please, add to the list; I'm sure I've missed some.

Jeez...you're gonna find yourself really annoyed with this place by the time you get to 1000 posts. [flapper]

Surfpup, I'll see your 'long sigs' and raise you a 'quotes and re-quotes with the ***king big photos embedded repeated over and over...' #-o](*,)

not so bad on a laptop, but on a mobile phone it really sucks :lol: :P

(damn these first-world problems' eyes!)

I think there's an especially good point about "quoting" long picture-intensive posts given that we're reading this on a widely diverse set of "devices." I guess too that's why I turn off the auto photos in all of my email and web stuff on my "smartphone."

The rest... Both "stable" and "arsenal" are pretty decent metaphors. In a sense too, electric guitar players in general, especially rock players, might be closer to "arsenal" than some might imagine even from the metaphor. I have a couple of old tube amps that are doggone nearly powerful enough to break windows and that's not entirely a joke. I know they can damage ears of listeners in proximity to catch the high-end decibels. Too, especially some Fender maple necks can work well enough as a bayonet or "staff' if a gig gets more exciting for the band than really it should be.

As for the metaphor of a stable... living where I do I can appreciate the love of one's guitars, but I'm quite happy that my own "stable" doesn't have the difficulties and cleaning requirements of those holding equines.

NGD, GAS, etc. - hey, it's kinda typical for various web forums, and has been since the beginning of such things. I think emoticons are a bit silly, but I'm a grouchy old man. But I do agree that they do add a bit of insight into the meanings behind words of a poster.

m

1. Using this particular emoticon - [thumbup] - more than once for every 100 posts.

This is my sign for sharing somebody's joy and pride, mostly about a new purchase or after having a problem solved. Often acts as my "+" button, too.

2. NGD - this one is simply 'played out', IMO

Promises something interesting - but I'm a guitar player, so what would you expect? [rolleyes]

3. Stable - Do we own horses or guitars?

Some people are emotionally attracted by horses and love caring about them. For me it's about musical instruments which make me live my emotions in a very special way. Therefore my guitars "live" through me.

4. Arsenal - Do we own weapons or guitars?

My instruments are my weapons for fighting the intricacies of my songs.

5. 'burst

Since they can be eye and ear candy as well to me, I think there's nothing wrong with them. Or did you refer to the apostrophe in particular?

---

[rolleyes] ...Please, add to the list; I'm sure I've missed some.

It took me some time for deciphering certain web abbreviations, but I'm fine with them as long as I get their meaning.

Got_gas.jpg

They should employ that guy at NASA! [biggrin]

Re the thread theme: Abbreviations bother me when I don't know what they mean (answer is to find out) but the longer ones I tend to forget anyway.

For a long while on forums I would never use emoticons and I don't use them a great deal even now but it doesn't trouble me if other people use them extensively.

My favorite of the emoticons is the guy who is whistling. He's perfect for many of my silly, sarcastic comments that have no mean intent behind them. But he hasn't worked for me in a few years. It doesn't matter what computer or browser I use. See. :-" He just shows up as a Colon, Dash and Quotes. [thumbdn]

Archived