Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone EJ-200((S)CE)

BEng

It's almost impossible to see for me, since there's quite a thick layer of varnish on the edge of the sound hole. I checked the SN and it's from june 2014. I guess/hope that it's a solid top then.

As long as there's no one else with "EJ-200SCE" written on the inside I'll give it the benefit of the doubt!

According to Epiphone Wiki the EJ200CE has a laminate top and the EJ200SCE is a solid Sitka spruce top so if it is a EJ200sce She is solid without a doubt.

According to Epiphone Wiki the EJ200CE has a laminate top and the EJ200SCE is a solid Sitka spruce top so if it is a EJ200sce She is solid without a doubt.

Yeah that's kind of the problem. On the inside it says "EJ200CE", despite the fact that its serial nr tells me that it's guitar from 2014, so it should be a solid one (I was told).

So I was hoping there would be anyone else with a solid top but ej-200ce written on the inside.

Yeah that's kind of the problem. On the inside it says "EJ200CE", despite the fact that its serial nr tells me that it's guitar from 2014, so it should be a solid one (I was told).

So I was hoping there would be anyone else with a solid top but ej-200ce written on the inside.

should be solid...

current specs: "The EJ-200CE’s classic shape is made with a Solid Spruce top with select maple, back and sides"

No doubt it is solid my friend ENJOY!!

So this is off topic...but I'm hoping you may be able to help.

I know nothing about guitars and I just purchased the 220SCE for my husband for Christmas and received it yesterday. I'm having two issues with it...first, the E on the pick guard had a piece of protective plastic on it that was bubbled up. I tried to remove it and though it came off without too much trouble on the sides of the E, that can't be said for the middle and sides of the E - it pretty much melted on. I did talk to someone at Guitar Center who said that it probably melted to the E when they heated up the E to stick to the pick guard. Is yours like this? Do you have any tips to remove the plastic?

And then there is about a 2in line around the rim of the sound hole that is missing the black lacquer finish. Is this something that shouldn't be with a brand new guitar?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

So this is off topic...but I'm hoping you may be able to help.

I know nothing about guitars and I just purchased the 220SCE for my husband for Christmas and received it yesterday. I'm having two issues with it...first, the E on the pick guard had a piece of protective plastic on it that was bubbled up. I tried to remove it and though it came off without too much trouble on the sides of the E, that can't be said for the middle and sides of the E - it pretty much melted on. I did talk to someone at Guitar Center who said that it probably melted to the E when they heated up the E to stick to the pick guard. Is yours like this? Do you have any tips to remove the plastic?

And then there is about a 2in line around the rim of the sound hole that is missing the black lacquer finish. Is this something that shouldn't be with a brand new guitar?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Can You Post a Picture of the Problem Area around the sound hole?

Can You Post a Picture of the Problem Area around the sound hole?

I have it stored at my parents' house, but was able to run over and grab a few photos this morning. I was going off of memory, but it is definitely not a 2in line. Maybe a 1in-1.5in line...

2vvt4yc.jpg

dqk7qb.jpg

Here is the plastic that is melted to the E...

xglfyh.jpg

One of the knobs on the tuner is roughed up a bit (a small cut) as well.

Here is a full shot of the guitar because despite the flaws, I do think it's pretty :)

osd7oo.jpg

I apologize that the photos are so large!

That guitar looks just fine he is going to love it. No worries on the sound hole. As for the E you should be able to gently peel it off with heat like hairdryer and tweezers.

Thank you for your help! I will try the hairdryer on the plastic. I hope he loves it! :)

No doubt it is solid my friend ENJOY!!

I just received an answer from Gibson; indeed, it's a solid top! Thanks for all the replies.

As far as the EJ-220 is concerned, my EJ-200 doesn't have that E on the front, so I can't help you with that...

• 5 years later...
On 11/17/2014 at 10:20 AM, BEng said:

It's almost impossible to see for me, since there's quite a thick layer of varnish on the edge of the sound hole. I checked the SN and it's from june 2014. I guess/hope that it's a solid top then.

As long as there's no one else with "EJ-200SCE" written on the inside I'll give it the benefit of the doubt!

I just bought an EJ200 SCE yesterday circa 2016 manufactured in Indonesia by Samick.  The "S" is for solid Sitka spruce top.   It is definitely NOT for "Sunburst", unless mine is an all-black sunburst, with no sunburst.  Have the eSonic 2 pickup/pre-amp system, with the nanoflex and nanomag pups. Sounds great, plugged in or not.  Not as loud as my 1992 HD-28, but a nice balanced sound, leaning to the brighter side.  Paid $350 used, but couldn't find ANY evidence of it being played at all.  Either not used by previous owner or heck of a strong finish.  Pulled the awful looking (IMHO) pickguard and didn't replace, at least yet. Looks great.  Good luck!  Peace!