Gibson Brands Forums

Robert Plant Turns Down £190 million

Rabs

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/led-zeppelins-robert-plant-turns-4595788

The rock legend ripped up Sir Richard Branson’s contract for 35 dates in front of astonished promoters after the other members of the supergroup all signed up

Led Zeppelin’s Robert Plant has turned down a Whole Lotta Lolly – more than £500MILLION – to reform the band for the dearest tour in history.

The rock legend ripped up Sir Richard Branson’s contract for 35 dates in three cities in front of astonished promoters after the other members of the supergroup all signed up.

The tour would have earned singer Plant and fellow founders Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones £190million each before tax.

But Plant, 66, said he thought it wasn’t the right thing to do.

A source close to the group said: “They have tried to talk him round but there is no chance.

“His mind is made up and that’s that.”

Virgin tycoon Branson, 64, has been a lifelong fan of the band.

He was getting ready to rebrand one of his Jumbo jets “The Starship” to fly the group around the venues.

An industry source said they were told they could have £250 million for 35 dates in three cities, London at the O2, Berlin and New Jersey.

Led Zep were also promised £70million of the profit from merchandise and there was an option to do 45 more gigs in five venues.

The cash was to be split three ways between Plant, Page, 70, and Jones, 68, while Jason Bonham, 48, son of late drummer John, would have been paid a wage to perform.

Our band source said: “Jimmy, John and Jason signed up immediately.

“It was a no-brainer for them but Robert asked for 48 hours to think about it. When he said no and ripped up the paperwork he had been given, there was an enormous sense of shock.

"There is no way they can go ahead without him.”

Branson had planned to have the staircase of the Starship jet renamed the Stairway to Heaven after the band’s 70s hit and was going to sell off the back 20 rows of the aircraft as special Led Zep seats for £100,000 each.

The source added: “Branson tried to pull out all of the stops. But even his money was not enough to get Plant to sign up. He is gutted.”

Plant has previously said: “I have to be in some brand new zones quite regularly... It’s an insane thing to do, to go back.”

Formed in 1966, Led Zeppelin have sold more than 300 million albums. Their last performance was a one night only gig at London’s O2 on December 10, 2007.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he felt the reformation was the wrong thing to do then I can see his point.

It's not the first time in recent months he has said as much. The last time he described the prospect as becoming nothing more than a Mobile Jukebox.

P.

If he felt the reformation was the wrong thing to do then I can see his point.

It's not the first time in recent months he has said as much. The last time he described the prospect as becoming nothing more than a Mobile Jukebox.

P.

Yeah I totally agree... Apart from the fact I really wanted to see that show at the O2 (and I did try HARD to get tickets)... and for me a Zep tour (and for a lot of people id imagine) would be great...

But I have seen many interviews with Percy and I understand where hes coming from...

Still... DAMN!!!! theres a man that stands by his principles...

Wow... such a total reverse from the ethos projected in The Song Remains The Same! Then it was Plant who was chomping at the bit, as it were.

I can certainly respect his decision. The sets would be expected to run the gamut of their extensive catalog.

No small feat for guys in their 60s. I haven't done anything today worth mentioning and I already need a nap.

Somehow, I think they'll still be okay. It's Branson taking the hit. (like he needs any more money) <_<

Σß

Very interesting considering the release of the re-remasters....which are selling well with 'Physical Graffiti' due next.

Plant has made many varied albums since 1980 but Page just can't seem to let it go.

The amount of money mentioned is obscene.

in a parallel universe...

"OK, Sir Richard, but make it $10m each for me, Jimmy and JP and donate the other $540m, oh, plus 90% of your company's net profits from the tour, to UNICEF. That way even if my voice gets a bit strained the audience won't mind, knowing that a big chunk of their (no doubt significant) 'donation' is going to help save children's lives".

Legacy?

yeah, I know..

Obviously principle based rather than monetary concerns. Good for him.

Bad for people like me. I'd love to see them. Big time.

I feel fortunate to have seen them. people will sometimes get into a discussion over ticket prices, and what they paid to see this band or artist. I let it go on for a little bit before I say " I paid $7.50 to see Led Zeppelin... lol

I may start a bit of controversy here and I'm sorry if this is so, that's not my intention, really, it's just...

First of, I've seen Robert and his new band and IMHO they're sh!te. And they're not exactly setting the world on fire either.

Secondly, and this holds true for a lot of other famous, now defunct groups out there too. This isn't about material wealth, this is about what your remembered for. He and the other Zep members originaly set out to write and make music they believed in and hopefully their fan base would believe in too and to give to the crowd and maybe they'd love it and follow them. We did. I can understand their reasoning for originaly breaking up, re, the sad loss of John. However, after all this time, you'd think that if they're capable and the vibe is still there (it is), that they'd take the offer, do a tour, and give back to the fans that love them, believe in their work and made them what they are today. I'm not advocating busting a gut. Do the tour at a reaonable pace, just cruise, have some fun, and give back again to those who admire their ability and love their music. And just think of all the new fans you'll aquire, gotta be worth it just for that alone eh.

What the hell else are they going to do? Jimmy and John Paul jamming down at his houseboat? Robert performing cr#p in his supposed new incarnation? John's very talented son performing where he can? Marking time, getting older, getting less capable with time. If Rob is capable of still touring with his new band at his present age, then he's quite capable of still touring with his old band then.

Donate the money if that's what you want. If that's really the issue, then do something wonderful with it. But Rob, Zep's what your remembered for. And remember, this is what echo's not only in life, but in death too. And your already remembered for something truely wonderful, so why not keep on giving...you know we will if you just let us.

Once again, I'm truely sorry if I've offended anyone, it's just that this is how I really feel about this.

As for the $1/2Bill, that's a lot of LP's!

Well, how much money do you need? I can understand Robert's point of view to some extent. If there was a new album, I suspect that might be a different issue, if you just want to go over all the old material, there are numerous very good tribute bands around. I belive that we are, at some stage going to have to get used to tribute bands as those great artists "pop there clogs". Your never likely to see Mozart performing his greatest hits live, and so it will be for todays greats.

Ian

That's an interesting viewpoint nicely expressed, MP, and I certainly found nothing offensive in the post but - if I may say so - I think you are missing the critical issue somewhat.

Robert Plant doesn't want to be part of Led Zeppelin any more. As F-Z said earlier on; Zep were in the past.

You might not like what he is doing these days - and it might very well be Sh!te - but that doesn't matter.

So what if his new projects are not, as you say, 'setting the world on fire'? That doesn't matter.

Whilst it would be a shame if the other three involved were just wasting their lives away it still, from RP's point of view, doesn't matter.

Absolutely none of the above matters in the slightest. If what RP wants to do is to explore new (to him) musical directions then that is all that does matter.

Zep's fans? Plant owes them nothing nor they him. That's all in the past.

Making money and giving it away? Why should he spend a large part of his immediate future doing that? He's not a charity fund-raiser.

" I'm not advocating busting a gut. Do the tour at a reaonable pace, just cruise, have some fun..."

No offence, MP, but that's proposing a "One Foot in the Grave" approach to life and is the very reason he turned the idea down the previous time.

He's not yet finished doing what he wants to do musically-speaking and becoming a Zep Tribute Act is clearly not in his plans for the forseeable future.

P.

That's an interesting viewpoint nicely expressed, MP, and I certainly found nothing offensive in the post but - if I may say so - I think you are missing the critical issue somewhat.

Robert Plant doesn't want to be part of Led Zeppelin any more. As F-Z said earlier on; Zep were in the past.

You might not like what he is doing these days - and it might very well be Sh!te - but that doesn't matter.

So what if his new projects are not, as you say, 'setting the world on fire'? That doesn't matter.

Whilst it would be a shame if the other three involved were just wasting their lives away it still, from RP's point of view, doesn't matter.

Absolutely none of the above matters in the slightest. If what RP wants to do is to explore new (to him) musical directions then that is all that does matter.

Zep's fans? Plant owes them nothing nor they him. That's all in the past.

Making money and giving it away? Why should he spend a large part of his immediate future doing that? He's not a charity fund-raiser.

" I'm not advocating busting a gut. Do the tour at a reaonable pace, just cruise, have some fun..."

No offence, MP, but that's proposing a "One Foot in the Grave" approach to life and is the very reason he turned the idea down the previous time.

He's not yet finished doing what he wants to do musically-speaking and becoming a Zep Tribute Act is clearly not in his plans for the forseeable future.

P.

My sincerest apologies Pippy. As I stated before, it's not my intention to start a controversy or to offend, it's just how I feel about this matter. You make some valid points here, however, they are points, I believe, that are a little off their mark. If you will allow me please, if I may address each of them in turn.

Critical issue? What critical issue? Who wheeled this into intensive care? I most certainly didn't. Please enlighten me, what's this critical issue you speak of?

Robert may not want to be a part of Zep anymore, fair enough, have to respect that. I'm not advocating he return to Zep full time for the rest of his life, just a tour, one tour we're talking about here.

As for Zep being in the past, I believe that to be incorrect. They're still talked about, their music still played, their music still bought and sold, and...unlike Mozart, still here. They're still here, in the present, with us. So nothing about them is in the past yet. You speak about them like they're already in the grave.

And we are all defined in life by what we do. You may disagree, however it's a true maxim. Robert, Jimmy and the Johns greatest achievement in life was Led Zeppelin. That, for better or for worse, is who they are, still. No-one remembers the sh!tty little blue's bands Robert sang in while struggling in Birmingham. I don't, do you? I'd hesitate a guess and say probably not. You know why? Because that's not what ultimately defined him. Zep is what defined him (for better or for worse, depending if your a fan or not I suppose).

As for the band he's in at present, well...O.K., I'll give you that one. You may have seen them and liked them. Fair nuff. I saw them and thought it was dog sh!te on the rug. People were walking out as they were playing. Not a good indicator by any standard. You may very well view that as evidence of a partial failure of a defective canine training programme. Me? I see that as dog sh!te on the rug. Simple and straight foreward as that.

And no, I guess your right, it doesn't matter if your not setting the world on fire. The man has already put in the hard yards and made a name for himself, very true. He has nothing left to prove. But I merely was making the point that if he's quite prepared to go around the world with this present band, then he's quite capable, physically and inclination wise, to go around the world with his old band.

And how can you be so sure that it doesn't matter to Robert ("from his point of view") if the other three are wasting the rest of their live's away? Maybe it does matter to him but he's just keeping quiet about it. Can you be so sure? Personally, I think it's a huge waste if they are. So much talent there still. Just stop and begin to think how much more they are capable of contributing. It boggles the mind (and put's a smile on one's face!).

If Robert wants to explore different musical directions, well, so be it then. You (and even I) have to respect that. But if his present band is any indication of so called 'new musical direction' then personally, I believe he's better off back in Zep.

"Zep fans?" Yes, I am unashamedly one. And so are many millions more.

"Plant owes them nothing nor they him"? Au contraire dear Pippy. He owes us all quite a lot in fact. It's the fan base that made Zep, made him. I'm not saying he has to bend to every whim, merely saying that we made Zep and him with our listening to them on the radio, going down the record shop and buying their albums, and buying tickets to their concerts and supporting them. Just how do you think he got rich and famous? By splitting the atom? Re-inventing the wheel perhaps? And as far as oweing him, yes we do. A huge debt of gratitude for what he gave us, his time, his dedication, and his soul that he poured out on stage every night. For that, he has our most sincere and eternal gratitude.

In the past? Once again, I re-iterate, their body of work and their contribution to music is still relevant, That makes it still very much in the present. The fact that we're all still going on about them underscores that point.

As far as money goes, I'm not indicating in the slightest that he should become a philanthropist. Merely stating that if he has a problem with Branson's offer then he should maybe sit down with him and come up with a solution. Keep it, give it away, spend it, burn it in his back yard...who cares!? Obviously not him, if he can turn that ammount down.

And, by the way, that's exactly what he's doing at the moment. Touring with a band, making money, and doing just that. Giving the bulk of his money away to the various charities he supports world wide, and has so generously done so for many years. Go figure eh?, who would've thought (certainly not some-one I immediately know).

One foot in the grave? Codswollup! When have you ever heard him say that touring is putting him in the grave and that he's thinking of stopping altogether? When? Never. How do you know that's the reason for not Zep touring previously? How do I know? You know who know's? Robert, and he's keeping mum. What I was proposing was that they maybe not try to go at it as hard on tour as they used to back in the 70's. That's not a 'one foot in the grave' sentiment, it's common sense fer christ sake. These guys are nearly in their 70's now. Can you imagine Pagey running around stage with a 10 pound LP coked off his dial? It'd kill him! Robert (like so many like him) just loves what he's doing, touring, and probably won't stop until he drops (or his wife orders him to do so, whichever comes first!).

"He's not finished doing what he's doing". Too damn right he isn't. We just wish he'd do it back in Zep for a tour. And a tribute band? Hogwash. How can he be a Zep tribute band?, he IS Zep! And tribute bands? We have one over here at present, called the Zep Boys (w@nk), and they're sh!te.

So, as far as playing the devil's advocate, work on it.

A little food for thought. The Rolling Stones were just over here kicking off their new world tour, and when the ticket office opened up, they sold over 50,000 tickets in just under two hours. Everything went smoothly. Not bad for a band presently called 'the greatest rock and roll band in the world'.

However, back in 2007, a rumour went out that Led Zeppelin were going to be playing at the O2 Arena in London. When the ticket office opened up, their computer system collapsed in just under 12 minutes under the weight of 1.6 million+ requests for tickets! Still not relevant? They're in the past? Let's see the Stones, or anyone else for that matter do that! That's pullin' power! All Hail the greatest rock band in history.

Your just a might shot off kid, and that's where your gonna stay.

I feel fortunate to have seen them. people will sometimes get into a discussion over ticket prices, and what they paid to see this band or artist. I let it go on for a little bit before I say " I paid $7.50 to see Led Zeppelin... lol

$7.50? Cost me $25 for my ticket ($50 all up, had to pay for my girlfreinds ticket too, and the bag of grass, and she spent the entire time up on my shoulders getting the best view, I feel ripped off now). [crying]

$7.50? Cost me $25 for my ticket ($50 all up, had to pay for my girlfreinds ticket too, and the bag of grass, and she spent the entire time up on my shoulders getting the best view, I feel ripped off now). [crying]

lol, yep, and somewhere down the line, i lost the ticket stubb. And we didn't have any "refreshments", so I actually remember the show...

As an aside, I saw RP in Montreaux in 06 at the 40th anniversary of the festival. Loads of biggies there. He did a 45 minute set of pure Honeydrippers. Stevie Nicks followed him onstage and she belted out "Rock and Roll". Everyone in the audience thought he would jump back on the stage and sing it with her. He didn't. The place would have absolutely exploded with excitement.

It was bizarre but very definitely a refusal. Who knows what really was happening, if he was being encouraged to go onstage, or maybe being made fun of or what.

[thumbup]

lol, yep, and somewhere down the line, i lost the ticket stubb. And we didn't have any "refreshments", so I actually remember the show...

Yeah Boris...lost my ticket stubb too. But my girlfreind was a 38C cup and I had a bag of the 'hills' finest, and I still remember the whole concert! lol too [tongue]

Archived