Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton II

dbrian66

I have a chance to trade a snow blower for a Sheraton II guitar. I don't have all the details yet but I was wondering if there is anything to stay away from. From what I have read these are pretty nice guitars. The snow blower is worth around 4 - 5 hundred bucks but I have nothing invested in it so its kind of like a free guitar. Please let me know if there is anything to look for or years that I should avoid. Thanks!

A Sheraton with a Union Jack all over it! [biggrin]

Just my little joke...

Just check for cracks and breaks and make sure everything works. But most important of all is whether it feels and plays right for you.

If it's one with an S serial number and a fat-looking bridge, that's a Samick model and the bridge post spacing is 72mm. There are no easy replacements for that size so check the bridge works OK and there are no stray buzzes or rattles. Other than that, there aren't any particular years to avoid or go for. Some people prefer the more vintage-accurate body shape of the newer Chinese ones, but some of the older Korean ones have better (imho) colours on the sunburst.

Build quality has varied a lot, check finish for runs; binding; routs and bridge placement lining up the strings and polepieces correctly, that kind of stuff. If you get a good one they can be great. Pickups on anything other than very recent tend to be muddy though some folk get on OK with them.

If it's one with an S serial number and a fat-looking bridge, that's a Samick model and the bridge post spacing is 72mm. There are no easy replacements for that size so check the bridge works OK and there are no stray buzzes or rattles. Other than that, there aren't any particular years to avoid or go for. Some people prefer the more vintage-accurate body shape of the newer Chinese ones, but some of the older Korean ones have better (imho) colours on the sunburst.

Build quality has varied a lot, check finish for runs; binding; routs and bridge placement lining up the strings and polepieces correctly, that kind of stuff. If you get a good one they can be great. Pickups on anything other than very recent tend to be muddy though some folk get on OK with them.

The S is the first digit of the serial number, right?

I have a chance to trade a snow blower for a Sheraton II guitar.

You're not going to user it for a snow shovel I hope!?

Seriously, listen to Vomer....especially about the bridge.

Other than that, what year is it? I thought I remembered different years

having different neck builds. (not sure about that one)

Willy

S serial number means Korean built should be a pretty good quality guitar besides the wonky bridge. Only ones I would avoid would be early Chinese 09/2010 years but the new ones have greatly improved and went back to laminated neck construction...I'm wondering if they will start coming from Indonesia in the future? But seems like an ok deal to me unless u get a lot of snow this year

The snow blower is worth around 4 - 5 hundred bucks...

I see on ebay completed listings several Sheraton II in "excellent" or "outstanding" condition for around $350 or less (shipping included). Of course, many sell for $400 to $550, too, usually with case. But if the snow blower is not worth 4 - 5 hundred bucks to you, well..... B)

I see on ebay completed listings several Sheraton II in "excellent" or "outstanding" condition for around $350 or less (shipping included). Of course, many sell for $400 to $550, too, usually with case. But if the snow blower is not worth 4 - 5 hundred bucks to you, well..... B)

That's the thing. The blower is def worth more than this guitar. But I have really been wanting a semi hollow guitar for awhile now. I don't know what other guitar I would get for a hundred bucks more. And like I said, I have nothing invested but time in the blower. I did some work on a guys car and he gave me the blower and some other yard equipment. He said the blower did not work but all I had to do was adjust a belt. So the Sheraton would really be free to me.

Sounds like the deal might work for you.After you get pictures you can give us more details. See if you are able to get a serial number from the guy,should be on the label inside the body of the guitar and/or on the back of the headstock. That way you'll be able to find out year and country of manufacture.

If it turns out there's and "Elite" on the truss rod cover go ahead and get it, let me know immediatly, and I'll take it off your hands. [-o< Just kidding on that one 66

Got it home today. The strings look (and sound) like they have been on it since 2001! LOL. The gold is coming off the pickups and hardware and it needs some general TLC. It plays great though. Will spend some time cleaning and setting it up this weekend. I think I got a keeper. Thanks for all the advice.

I got this thing put back together Saturday night, but it was late and did not get to play it much. I spent a lot of time Sunday with it and all I can say it Wow. What a great guitar. It set up very nice and quick. This is my first Epi, but also my fist semi-hollow, so I dont know which to give the credit to, but this thing plays as nice if not, dare I say it, better Than my Gibson Les Paul. Only time will tell! All I know is that I will be playing this one a lot! Here she is all cleaned up.

image_zps2692998d.jpg

image_zps38299253.jpg

Good job Brian- the strings on the nut groove look really nice,hope my Ibanez comes out as good. You don't mention the snowblower much anymore so thinking your preety happy all the way around =D>

I don't think I will ever regret this trade. I am very happy. Just need to find a case for it now!

Archived