Gibson Brands Forums

Really starting to gas for epi les paul

Jukie

No problems here with coil splits and series/parallel options.

I don't know for sure but guess they were introduced to the mass produced product lines during the past four years. There have been some expensive and limited Custom Shop models much earlier though.

T Epiphonehe "Pro" model guitars have "push/pull" control potentiometers which are not "coil splitting", but are "coil tapping", whatever the difference is...msp_confused.gif If anyone actually knows the difference, let us know if you can explain please.msp_thumbup.gif

The Epiphone "PRO" model electric guitars now give you entirely new tonal combinations thanks to the two humbucking pickups with push/pull coil tapping. You can switch between spanky single-coil sounds and beefy humbucking tones just by pushing or pulling the volume knobs. If you rely on multiple guitars for your live performances, you may be able to get all the tone you need with the Epiphone "PRO" model electric and electric/acoustic guitars.msp_thumbup.gif

I'm not exactly sure when Epiphone started producing "coil tapping" guitars...I think about 10 or so years ago...maybemsp_confused.gif

....."coil splitting", but are "coil tapping", whatever the difference is...msp_confused.gif If anyone actually knows the difference, let us know if you can explain please.

They are what the words imply:

http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/coil-split/

http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/coil-tap/

With one you are tapping into a spot on a coil. You can, in fact, "coil tap" a single coil pickup.

A coil split indicates that a humbucker (2 coil) pickup is being split and only one coil is in use to

imitate a single coil pickup.

Technically, I believe, a coil tap could be considered a coil split if the tap

is at the halfway point on a humbucker......but now we are "splitting/tapping" hairs.

Willy

Archived