Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson opening retail shop on Sunset Strip

Smurfbird

Presenting live music there is a good idea I think. I also believe that offering the product lines of the entire Gibson Family of Brands is a step into the right direction.

It's not so important for me since I don't think I will ever be there, but who knows - perhaps this business model will arrive here one day, too.

Looks like a marvelous idea, not a competing store.

"This will be the first spot where our entire music chain will be presented,"[Henry] Juszkiewicz said.

Equally important to Gibson, he said, will be the yet-unnamed Sunset Strip location's function as a place for new talent to break out.

"Live music is a tough business, and it's getting hammered," Juszkiewicz said. "What artists need to develop their craft is to get exposed to an audience and not have to fill 10,000 seats. Hopefully we will contribute to bringing out up-and-coming artists of all genres."

OK, I did not read the linked article.... because I have no interest whatsoever in ANYTHING Henry has to say.

But.... The whole concept seems to me to be an upscale (tweaked) version of the Memphis so-called "custom shop". It won't be long and you'll be able to buy a "Sunset Strip Custom Shop Les Paul" for a ridiculously inflated price.

This is all about "marketing". I have no problem with marketing geeks, as long as they don't forget about the professional working musician.

GIBSON HAS COMPLETELY LOST TOUCH with the front-line working "back-line" musician.

I grew up in the LA area, and this makes me feel a bit dated.

In the '60s we'd go down to Wallach's Music City in Hollywood to listen to 45s in their little soundproof record rooms.

Left LA in 1969, two years before the "legendary" Tower Records store existed!

Edit - Whoops! Completely spaced out that after leaving LA briefly, I returned for two years of college before transferring to Arizona State. Permanently left LA in June of '71. At this stage of the game, skipping a couple of years is like a drop in the bucket!

Archived