Gibson Brands Forums

Beginner Electric Guitarist Over The Back Fence Somwhere!

BluesKing777

I have tried to sit and listen, but he doesn't finish his sentences yet.

Someone was teaching him "Satisfaction" last weekend, but they only knew the Low E string version, and funnily enough, they have to play haltingly REALLY LOUD.

It is amusing so far, but starting to get annoying, but I heard someone else yell: "TURN IT DOWN!" and I'm real glad it wasn't ME!

(I would like to take this opportunity to apologise in arrears to all the people I annoyed coming up!)

BluesKing777.

Ps. The other night the better half suggested I should play the opening bars of "Deliverance" to see if anything comes back!

No chance for another 20........after what I just heard!

My first amp came with a head phone plug in so no one else in the house had to hear me play. It came in the starter pack with the Squire electic. The guitar lasted less than 2 weeks, it had to go. Replaced it with my Fedner American Strat and then the gaggle of Gibsons.

Hah! Good One - BK7. I'd loan you my 5 stringer or play Deliverance for you. Your neighbor is what gives guitar players a bad name. Last place we lived - people across the street and 2 houses down converted their garage to a faux music den. Blasted music - you could hear it 2 blocks away. I know - because my parents lived away. No acoustics. Always with the door open. Delusionally, thought they were good.

BUT - my very first song on my Sears Kay was the theme from Bonanza played on the 6th and 5th strings. The guy selling Black Diamonds in the local music store couldn't figure out why everyone else was wearing out their 1st and 2nd strings (when you could buy one at a time, not a set) and I was wearing out the 5th and 6th. For a few months, I am sure my parents would have driven me into the city if I had wanted to run away and join the circus.

We were all there once.

Chuck Berry grew up (and still lives) here in St. Louis. Years ago I ran into a guy that was "another kid in the neighborhood" with Chuck. He told the story how Chuck would just sit in his room and play, and play, and play. They couldn't get him to could out to play ball or anything.

As there was no air conditioning back then, all the windows in the houses were open, and any sounds from inside would just carry out to the sidewalk and street. He said the guitar playing started off terrible, and the other kids would make fun of him. As time went on, he got a little better. And then all of a sudden....... musical history was made!

You just never know who might be the next T-Bone Walker (in Chuck's case), Jimmy Page or Eric Clapton.

One of the jazz big bands I play in has a few young players (even high school age). I try to be as encouraging and helpful as possible with the youngsters. In fact, we have a 17 year old bass player that I would take on ANY stage with me.

I have had a think back to when I was learning in my bedroom and wonder how my dad never came up and smashed the guitar over my head.

don't be a snob BK.

you were crap once yourself.

go and give some lessons !!!

:D

HaHa!!!! ](*,)

The action of my beginner guitar precluded playing anything too fancy!!!!

The guy down the road when I was learning could do the impressive very first line of the James Bond Theme........then a long pause, then do it again......and again.......and....that's as far as he got....ever....

I am all FOR the guy beginning guitar, but genetics are against him - future in loud power tools if he is like the parents.....as a fact, I should go start the lawn mover and amplify it through my amp so I can be like his father when I am playing.....

Nah...all fun and a bit of a surprise to hear music played among the Neanderthals around me - don't even hear a radio round here, normally just power tools run by V8 engines.... sometimes after DARK in that house!!!!

BluesKing777.

Speaking of noise....

I was working away on the computer and heard an abnormal amount of cars, then a truck, then digging machines and the rest...Monday, then diggers and fillers Tuesday and yesterday, I heard "Oi Oi Oi Oi", so hound and I went out to the street to investigate......

I can say that the house in the photos is the quietest normally and I can say that I didn't know they were there....not like ....you know..above....

Way to go: it's in in 4 days!!!!

Pool1_zps6e9d2452.jpg

Pool2_zps7dde2211.jpg

Pool3_zpsa14a1470.jpg

Neighbors.

Sounds like where I live. I know it's good to have a laugh about it and maybe vent a little, but.. I'm sure none of us would've been too troubled by the loud amp, or the after-dark lawnmowers, etc., when we played a younger man's guitar. However, I think there's something else going on here, intertwined with reasons as to why we've found ourselves more towards the acoustic side of things. And it's hard to be a better player, or even train the ear to listen for subtle nuance from guitar to guitar, old vs new, one model/shape/wood from another, without getting that ear more dialed in. More sensitive. However, that comes at a price.

Guitar can be a humbling thing - if he (guy behind fence) just heard me going through my DADGAD jazz lessons, he would have assumed that he was a WAY better guitarist:

http://www.guitarvideos.com/products/guitar-workshop-instructional-dvds/fingerstyle-jazz-guitar-in-dadgad

Very enjoyable though!!!! Keeping the grey matter green or blue (Blues) :blink: :blink: :blink:

BluesKing777.

Archived