Gibson Brands Forums

Gear Regret

Karloff

What piece of gear, amp, guitar etc. did you or have you bought that you ultimately thought, "why did I buy this thing ?" For me, it was the Digitech RP-1 Multi effects processor, back in the early 90's. read too many Guitar magazines. Convinced myself I needed it because "EVERYBODY'S USING THEM" . Couldn't get rid of it quick enough. This isn't a condemnation of Digital effects. Plenty of people can dial them in and sound great. Apparently I'm not one of them.

I got a cheap DOD multi-effects processor in the year 2000 or so and I still have it. It is terrible but I never get rid of anything really so I still have it. I use it every so often and remember how awful it is, the only thing i can use it for is an OD/boost on my practice amp.

Luckily i have no other major gear regrets as I was happy with most everything else i got at the time for the time i was using them.

Dunlop 70 anniversary Hendrix Fuzz Face, sounds like crap, looks cool though. Electro Harmonics B9, fun toy for a couple hours… RC 30 Loop Station, still can't figure it out so I bought a Ditto… Dunlop Cry Baby, thought it was mandatory on a peddle board, never use it. Morley, Pro Series Volume Plus, was trying to control dynamics with the pedal instead of my touch… Zvex, Box of Rock, Thought I needed a distortion with a boost, actually I do like using this pedal when I practice at home and I plug directly into my studio mixer. Probably others too. Shall we talk about guitars I don't need as well…. ](*,)

For me it was a couple of items.

1) Roland keyboard - I had it in my mind that I was going to learn keys. There it sits, lonely. I get my buddy, the keys player to accompany me when I need keys and he has his preffered gear, lol.

2) what I needed was a guitar synth, so that my keyboard would see some use. Could never bond with the darn thing. Sold it, keyboard still lonely.

[blink]

My first acoustic one of those stupid Ovation guitars with the plastic backs that slides down when you play it. Are they still in buisness and are people still buying them?

You're not alone :) Celeb Deluxe was the one I bought.

Have you ever tried to stack bowling balls?

Ovations are still being made, but I think they're all made in Asia now. The used to be made up by me in Connecticut. I had two of them, and you're right,, they were really not a "sit on the sofa" strummers at all. You pretty much had to be standing and have strapped on. Really designed more for onstage use I guess. There was probably nothing that sounded as good, (when amplified properly) or played easier than my Ovation Legend 12 String. Darn thing sounded like a carnival.

Acoustically,, they sounded like a$$..

my gear regret

in 79 I bought an Ibanez Musician MC400, that was the only electric, it was played hard, during a lot of years of heavy gigging. The first "What was I thinking" (or Strike one) was installing a Kahler on it. BIG mistatke.. not to mention the guy who installed it did a horrible job on it. But, hey, it was the 80s.. if you were in cover bands doing night ranger, van halen etc.. and couldn't dive bomb.. well go home....

Then Once the kids got older and the wife was able to go back full time, the money got easier and I started to pickup more axes. The Ibanez sat in the case,.. Didn't use it. Instead I was dabbling with new strats, les pauls, telecasters, a nice lil sheraton epi.. etc... So I eventually traded it..

For a stupid Digitech RP6 multi-fx pedal... (oh you dumb a$$!!) That RP6 lasted for about 2 months,, then couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Strike two!

Strike Three was when the store manager that I did the trade with (I knew these guys quite well) called me back and told me, the MC400 just came back on trade, and could buy it back for what we did the original deal for. it was in the same condition as when I traded it (the deal was $300, and I had the money... I declined)

looking back, I should have brought it back home just for the sentimental ties, which at the time, I didn't feel. Some 18 years later,, I realize that was a mistake. Not that I would have played it much, but, I waged battle for 20 years with that axe. I wish I still had it. I guess it's silly to think there's an emotional connection there.

I have a few today that I just wont make the same mistake with.

In early 1983, I bought a Marshall 4210 50W 1x12" combo amp. In a retrospective, it obviously was a very shortlived model in the Marshall history. Mine is a Special Edition with white Tolex instead of black. Using it during the first rehearsal revealed that it was not that useful for me except when combined with my Acoustic G60T 1x12" amp. Some weeks ago I sold it to a pal.

Again, several weeks later, he called me and said I had ripped him off since there's a feedback in the valve/tube driven reverb amp. I told him I didn't know about it before but I would take the amp back in case he didn't like it, and that's how it turned out.

Then I evaluated the reverb feedback thing, and in fact there was a feedback when the reverb was fully cranked up. I brought it back to the store, and after a few weeks it came back with a new circuit. However, now it had an extreme bleedover of the clean channel into the lead channel. It even wasn't attenuated, let alone muted. I had checked the amp again and they said everything was OK.

Anyway, it was not. Later I decided to mod the transistorized channel switch circuit for completely muting the deactivated channel. I found the trace of the clean channel muting path on the PCB broken. However, after bridging the damage with a wire, the stock circuitry still didn't short out the clean channel completely. The stock capacitor value was too small to achieve that.

I still own the amp. The "clean" channel featuring a two-band EQ is not really clean, and the high gain channel sounds very thin and brittle with very little effect of the three-band EQ. I used it for about four years combined with the Acoustic G60T. Since late 1987, I sometimes power it up for a few hours and play a bit through it, but I don't use it regularly anymore.

In the long run, this is definitely the most useless gear I ever bought.

Actually two guitars I definitely do NOT regret are my Ovation Electric Legend and Country Artist nylon string that I got back in the early '70s. Both are at least among the very first real AE guitars and both played and worked exceptionally well on stage. The legend steel string was played a lot straight acoustic backing up generations of old time fiddlers and even on live radio that way - and then on weekends being played in a saloon house band. The Country Artist didn't get as much use, but it did get significant use when the nylon was appropriate, from doing a fingerstyle Star Spangled Banner to a cupla hours jazz/pop instrumental gig during a welcome home picnic/party for local National Guard troops back in 2004.

What I do regret are a number of "board" guitars - although I regret swapping an old board Hagstrom electric 12.

Other gear over the years? I probably wasted a lotta back muscles on my Fender Leslie (I dumped in a losing swap for a keyboard that's still in the box) and my huge Aims Dual 12 120-watt combo that now serves as an end table although it works marvelously, and the big Fender Bassman top and cab. Both were/are exceptional pieces of equipment but were like using a howitzer to kill a fly in saloon gigs.

Actually I'd say I more regret some swaps that didn't necessarily get me better stuff - the Fender Leslie for a keyboard back in the late '70s, my orange Gretsch, etc., etc. - and the '65 Deluxe Reverb for the big 120-watter. That latter isn't a matter of "quality" since the big box is a marvelous amp. I just am past carrying 90 pounds of amp when all I need is 35-40 pounds - or less were I able to swap it for a small Bose rig or something similar. Kinda ditto buying the Fender Leslie - it was neat, but far from necessary.

Another swap I regret was a high-end classical guitar "back in the day."

m

My first acoustic one of those stupid Ovation guitars with the plastic backs that slides down when you play it. Are they still in buisness and are people still buying them?

You're not supposed to polish the back! [flapper] It helps to be smarter than the stupid guitar. [lol]

This guy... and I think he can afford to play any guitar he wants.

al-di-meola-the-collection-back-cover-18638.jpg98f481139a3958a408831452206e747d.jpg

Σß

Guest Farnsbarns

Dunlop 70 anniversary Hendrix Fuzz Face, sounds like crap, looks cool though. Electro Harmonics B9, fun toy for a couple hours… RC 30 Loop Station, still can't figure it out so I bought a Ditto… Dunlop Cry Baby, thought it was mandatory on a peddle board, never use it. Morley, Pro Series Volume Plus, was trying to control dynamics with the pedal instead of my touch… Zvex, Box of Rock, Thought I needed a distortion with a boost, actually I do like using this pedal when I practice at home and I plug directly into my studio mixer. Probably others too. Shall we talk about guitars I don't need as well…. ](*,)

Dave, what are the chances we can do a deal on that loop station? It'd be a fantastic teaching aid, quite apart from anything else.

Lately, 3 things:

1) Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe: very good if I ever needed a good crunch/distorted sound but as I am playing a Marshall JVM410H and an Orange Tiny Terror -> useless

2) Wha MXR Custom Audio Electronics MC404, good but I prefer my old VOX 845

3) but not least, the Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Custom Shop, very good, but won't replace or add anything to my Vintage Hot Rod Strat.

Only twice and, oddly enough, the second followed-on directly after the first.

First one was a used Norlin-era (at a guess a circa '78) Les Paul Custom which, unfortunately, was one of the bad ones.

I took it back about a week later and swapped it for the one seen here second from left; Music Man Sabre II;

381a3a4a-61ee-4884-8308-920670d3f923_zps0046b21d.jpg

It was being described in all the reviews as some sort of 'Super Strat'. It had active electronics that turned out to be just way too active for my tastes.

I hung on to it for a year or so in the hope that it would grow on me but it never did.

Happily I eventually traded it in for a '73 Strat which became my #2 for quite a long time.

P.

Yes, Pin, it is a Yamaha and no I don't own one nor have I ever owned one. That snap was taken in around 1983...

I was visiting my duetting partner's house in order to work stuff out and both the Yamaha SG and the acoustic - also a Yamaha as it happens - were his.

The Lake Placid Blue Strat was my old '64.

The Y-SG was a great guitar. His one pre-dated the SG 2000 and didn't have all the bells'n'whistles of the top-of-the-range models but was still an impressive beast.

P.

For me to be honest was a faded les paul studio. I was only 17 and saving for a les paul as soon as i bought i knew i should have saved longer and bought the standard i really wanted. The guitar i really regret selling is a yamaha sg 500 . Just a great workhorse

My biggest purchase regret would be the my Marshall DSL40C amp. I bought it online after reading positive reviews and watching YouTube videos. The thing is absolute junk; made in Vietnam of all places. Its in the shop right now getting the reverb fixed under warranty, and its getting sold immediately after that. I would have expected more for $700 (and that was a heavy discount).

My first selling regret would be my "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheraton II that I sold in 1994 because I was more into acoustic at the time. Second would be my Godin A-12 that I sold on eBay for a low reserve and got reamed on. Selling price: $250 [scared]

Archived