Gibson Brands Forums

Sure as heck feels and looks like a Les Paul

bobbyguitar80

Im new here and am having trouble finding out what type of guitar I inherited from my Grandfather. He left me two guitars 1. 1929 Martin D-28

2. Well thats why I am here.

I did try to research this and was getting confused as to where to look for seriel numbers and all that jazz. So if anyone can help me out I would love some help, and I thank you in advance. On the back of the headstock, at the top, there is a ink stamped number that says LP 19 B. Other than that the only other identification sticker is where the neck tapers into the bottom of the headstock on the back, but all the information is rubbed off. Since the other guitar I inherited is such an amazing instrument I hope this one is also

Thanks so much for any help guys and gals!

First off Id like to thank you for the reply. I was pretty certain it was not a Gibson but wanted to talk to people who own them. Fenders, Taylors and Martins Im cool with but never owned a Gibson, though thats next on my list. I took the neck, pickups and pots off to look for numbers. Any specific pics that would help?

First off Id like to thank you for the reply. I was pretty certain it was not a Gibson but wanted to talk to people who own them. Fenders' date=' Taylors and Martins Im cool with but never owned a Gibson, though thats next on my list. I took the neck, pickups and pots off to look for numbers. Any specific pics that would help?[/quote']

Its because some guy came here with a so-called gibby that had LP 19 on the back of the headstock and nothing on the front. So I thought it might be you again.

Not lookin' good...

LMAFOOOOO

I can't stop lauguinh' date=' really! I missed that one!

So what we have until now? No Gibson logo (pretty much proves it's fake) LP 19B serial number (what the hell?!) a neck that can somehow "unglue" for checking purposes (LMAO) and the whole electronics that were never soldered.

[i']Not lookin'good[/i]

God, I can't help myself hahahah

LMAFOOOOO

I can't stop lauguinh' date=' really! I missed that one!

So what we have until now? No Gibson logo (pretty much proves it's fake) LP 19B serial number (what the hell?!) a neck that can somehow "unglue" for checking purposes (LMAO) and the whole electronics that were never soldered.

[i']Not lookin'good[/i]

God, I can't help myself hahahah

Just saw this conversation here and I want to clear my name a little bit. The Electronics were soldered, the neck was just bolted on and I have 0 experience with Gibsons. When I googled information for serial numbers on Gibsons I kept getting info about a FON or FAN number and just got confused. Think I read somewhere that with older models you had to take the pots off to look for some numbers etc...... Just wanted to check with some people who know what their looking at with Gibsons, and I appreciate the help. Please dont hold this one against me. In case you were wondering the Marting Serial number has been confirmed with Martin and Mandolin Brothers in NY saw it and appraised it, so Im not a total idiot!

Just saw this conversation here and I want to clear my name a little bit. The Electronics were soldered' date=' the neck was just bolted on and I have 0 experience with Gibsons. When I googled information for serial numbers on Gibsons I kept getting info about a FON or FAN number and just got confused. Think I read somewhere that with older models you had to take the pots off to look for some numbers etc...... Just wanted to check with some people who know what their looking at with Gibsons, and I appreciate the help. Please dont hold this one against me. In case you were wondering the Marting Serial number has been confirmed with Martin and Mandolin Brothers in NY saw it and appraised it, so Im not a total idiot![/quote']

WHOOOOA!!!!

Chill.

WHOOOOA!!!!

Chill.

Its cool man, just saving some face..... Ill get some more picks up and would love ideas from you guys on what types of pickups, pots, inlays etc.... I should put into this Franken-Faux-Paul!!! Right now Im watching David Gilmours "Remember That Night" on Bluray and tearing the guts out of this...... this.....this......... Whatever the hell this thing is!

There's a lot of copies out there in the world that are not part of the new fakes meant to rip people off especially from the late 70 and early 80's it was a very standard shape and some of them weren't all that bad. Look forward to seeing some other pics if you get them and let us know what your thinking about doing.

Archived