Gibson Brands Forums

In love with the Hummingbird

kebob

So I've had my honeyburst Gibson Hummingbird now for a couple months and I'm realizing it's my favorite guitar. In fact, I think I could sell many of my other guitars and be perfectly happy with the 'bird and maybe one other. And I've been very happy with the LR Baggs Element pickup it came with -- first experience with this pickup and I'm impressed.

Short of the pickguard lifting a bit at one of the corners, I have nothing but glowing remarks for the 'Bird. Sadly, I've put my first dings into her (freaking open case clasps!)

I'm blessed to own it.

So I've had my honeyburst Gibson Hummingbird now for a couple months and I'm realizing it's my favorite guitar. In fact, I think I could sell many of my other guitars and be perfectly happy with the 'bird and maybe one other. And I've been very happy with the LR Baggs Element pickup it came with -- first experience with this pickup and I'm impressed.

Short of the pickguard lifting a bit at one of the corners, I have nothing but glowing remarks for the 'Bird. Sadly, I've put my first dings into her (freaking open case clasps!)

I'm blessed to own it.

Hi. I love my bird also. So far no lifting pick guard, but then I keep it humidified at 45 to 50% in a completely homogenized humidified room....and I monitor the interior of the case as well, both with digital hygrometers. I do not let any of my guitars vary far from this set point. Since doing this I find less problems like pick guard lifting, belly rising and falling, neck truss rod adjustments, tuning. Humidifying your guitar properly and evenly will keep them perfect. This is particularly true of Gibsons. I have found Gibsons to be more sensitive to humidity than any other guitar I have ever owned. Congratulations on your Hummingbird! Their sound is magic.

Yeah -- keep all my guitars in a humidity-controlled room and in their cases when not played. I rarely have to make adjustments (truss rod, etc.) on my guitars once they're set up to my liking. I chalk up the lifting pickguard on my 'Bird as just one of those things. Once it gets bad enough, I'll replace it. No biggie for me. BTW -- my 'Bird looks like yours in your avatar -- I prefer the honeyburst to the traditional cherry red Hummingbirds.

Yeah -- keep all my guitars in a humidity-controlled room and in their cases when not played. I rarely have to make adjustments (truss rod, etc.) on my guitars once they're set up to my liking. I chalk up the lifting pickguard on my 'Bird as just one of those things. Once it gets bad enough, I'll replace it. No biggie for me. BTW -- my 'Bird looks like yours in your avatar -- I prefer the honeyburst to the traditional cherry red Hummingbirds.

Thanks, yes the color on my 2013 bird, like yours, is quite nice, almost soothing to look at! ....I did replace the plastic white pins with pearl inlaid black Ebony pins, which seem to match all the other nice MOP inlay on the guitar, while the black ebony pin color seems to reflects and compliment the black head stock. While tone is a subjective issue for many...I personally do find a difference in tone...a bit clearer, cleaner and crisper...but that may just be my own ears who knows?! ...or it may just be my own eyes seeing quality ebony wood pins instead of plastic pins! I have owned many guitars...about 27 high enders...the Hummingbird is by far my favorite. And I realize a bit too late..that the Gibson Hummingbird was all I ever really needed!

My bird is irreplaceable. I will never get rid of it. It's the first gibson I've owned that is butter to play. The neck set and frets are perfect. I've written many great songs with it. Just a wonderful guitar! I've had a few gibsons in my time as some here know and the hummingbird is my favorite. My walnut j60 I sold is a close second though

In fact, I think I could sell many of my other guitars and be perfectly happy with the 'bird and maybe one other.

Fairly big words in November - with your impressing herd in mind.

That one other would be the HD-28, , , I'm guessing.

Great to hear you are smitten, , , take that Bird to sky 7. . .

I concur with the love of the Hummingbird. Before I started learning guitar, I was amazed with the look and sound. I wanted a piece of that action. Then I got my first heapy cheapy gourd for fifteen dollars. It was a Silvertone f body arch top with no truss rod. Another cheap thing, a Stella Harmony with a "Steel Reinforced Neck!" ad on the head, came and went. When I bought a B-25 I knew the Gibson neck was a feel that I wanted. After three years of searching, along came this 1966 cherry sunburst Hummingbird. It is a thing of beauty. It is perfect in every way. We are on the same page. Jedediah

How much for the J200?

Great question! #-o Not ready to get rid of the J-200 just yet. Although to be honest, as I get older, I'm realizing I probably only need a couple acoustics and 1 or 2 electrics. I don't play my J-200, HD-28 or D-18V enough to justify having them.

Tell you what -- if/when I decide to sell some off, I will give you Gibson peeps first dibs. They are all killer guitars I purchased by hand. And I will price to sell.

Fairly big words in November - with your impressing herd in mind.

That one other would be the HD-28, , , I'm guessing.

Great to hear you are smitten, , , take that Bird to sky 7. . .

To be honest -- I prefer the D-18V over the HD-28. I prefer mahogany over rosewood. But, the HD-28 holds a special place in my heart as it's the first high-end guitar I ever purchased. Saved $100 a month in an envelop for more than a year before I had enough. Went down to my local shop and chose it over three others a couple days after Christmas. I think I floated out the door after buying it...

I've been gassing for a Southern Jumbo, Hummingbird, and Guild Orphium. This thread has not helped me at all.

Guitarlight, your Hummingbird is gorgeous, but I like the bright cherry sunburst.

Heck, I like them all!

I am also a proud owner of a 2013 HB. Picked it up last month and am smitten beyond words. At first I became concerned I bought it for all of the wrong reasons.......I've never owned a Gibby and wanted one, the iconic and beautiful look of the guitar, etc., but, after changing the strings and playing it A LOT, I know I've found a lifelong partner. It is a dream to play as the neck is a perfect fit to my hand, and it sounds better than it looks. It's no a screamer, but it purrs, sings and growls and everything in between. I will soon get it set up properly now that I've settled on strings, and will ride off in the sunset with my prized Gibby knowing it will only sound better and better with age and me playing it hard and often. Congrats on your new purchase !! I love hearing how jazzed up people get with a new guitar, especially a Hummingbird. It brings out the inner child in us all.

To be honest -- I prefer the D-18V over the HD-28. I prefer mahogany over rosewood. But, the HD-28 holds a special place in my heart as it's the first high-end guitar I ever purchased. Saved $100 a month in an envelop for more than a year before I had enough. Went down to my local shop and chose it over three others a couple days after Christmas. I think I floated out the door after buying it...

A fine job you've done capturing the feeling here. Satisfied with the fish on the line, but not helping with a case of 'Bird GAS one bit. ; ).

I smile every time I get my Hummingbird TV out of its Cali Girl case. Somehow it still even smells new. It's intoxicating. It is my first high end guitar. It's been a little over two years since I acquired it and I've played it just about every day since. I upgraded from a Korean made Ovation. Talk about a night and day difference in tone and playability :)

I did replace the TR cover to one that doesn't say "Hummingbird" on it. I'd love to find a gold TR cover. I've kept everything else on it stock. I was a little concerned the hand painted pickguard would come off easily. Those concerns have turned out to be for naught.

IMG_0318_zpsc9433ce1.jpg

Beautiful pics of some Birds in this thread! The only thing I would change on my humminbird is the tuners -- the tulip tuners look much better than the rotomatics mine came with. Maybe some day I'll change them out, but I'm in no big hurry.

I smile every time I get my Hummingbird TV out of its Cali Girl case. Somehow it still even smells new. It's intoxicating. It is my first high end guitar. It's been a little over two years since I acquired it and I've played it just about every day since. I upgraded from a Korean made Ovation. Talk about a night and day difference in tone and playability :)

I did replace the TR cover to one that doesn't say "Hummingbird" on it. I'd love to find a gold TR cover. I've kept everything else on it stock. I was a little concerned the hand painted pickguard would come off easily. Those concerns have turned out to be for naught.

IMG_0318_zpsc9433ce1.jpg

Nice guitars there, , , not least the D-45 ;-)

That balancing Bird isn't a sissy, , , and yes, a golden tr-cover is cühl. I have one on mine and it's a non-coated version that ages with the guitar.

Is the p-guard-paint staying where it is, , , , only a Q of time - unless you are a highly gentle player.

The black'n'white cover is good too. .

Enjoy

Nice guitars there, , , not least the D-45 ;-)

That balancing Bird isn't a sissy, , , and yes, a golden tr-cover is cühl. I have one on mine and it's a non-coated version that ages with the guitar.

Is the p-guard-paint staying where it is, , , , only a Q of time - unless you are a highly gentle player.

The black'n'white cover is good too. .

Enjoy

Thanks EM-7. I am working on convincing my wife that a D-41 or D-42 is a great present for turning 35 (which is 5 years away). Persistence and patience is key with these kinds of purchases when you are married :)

I am actually not as worried about the paint fading anymore. I look forward to the character it will bring. I am just happy to own it as it inspires me to be a better player.

I look forward to the character it will bring. I am just happy to own it as it inspires me to be a better player.

Yeah, , , that's the way to go. Some Bird-owners get over-anxious and want to protect the protection guard.

I say : It's wildlife - let it live. .

What happens is that the zone often hit - in fact typically the hovering bird itself - begins to fade, leaving only paint here and there.

The plast turns rather matt and the grooves become something else. The whole scenery has tons of expression and reminds of the many flights spent together. . .

Any love for the grover rotomatic tuners ? I suspect that I will swap them out eventually, but, sometimes I look at them as I'm playing and sort of dig the chunkiness..... and they seem to work just fine. I have these on my Taylor 410 and they have preformed admirably over the years. Anyway, I never see much love for the rotomatics and feel they are under appreciated.

Any love for the grover rotomatic tuners ? I suspect that I will swap them out eventually, but, sometimes I look at them as I'm playing and sort of dig the chunkiness..... and they seem to work just fine. I have these on my Taylor 410 and they have preformed admirably over the years. Anyway, I never see much love for the rotomatics and feel they are under appreciated.

They work fine, they just lack any sort of pizazz. The tulips go much better on the Hummingbird and J-200 -- gives them that vintage flair.

Archived