Gibson Brands Forums

In love with the Hummingbird

kebob

Im glad that I finally discovered that the Hummingbird was my guitar.

Yep, this is where I'm at -- like you, I've played/purchased plenty of nice guitars. The Hummingbird I believe is my guitar. Heck, I didn't even care for the look of the thing for the longest time -- too much bling for me. But once it was in my hands and I heard the tone and felt the neck/action -- I was smitten. And still am. I think I've found the one :wub:

Yep, this is where I'm at -- like you, I've played/purchased plenty of nice guitars. The Hummingbird I believe is my guitar. Heck, I didn't even care for the look of the thing for the longest time -- too much bling for me. But once it was in my hands and I heard the tone and felt the neck/action -- I was smitten. And still am. I think I've found the one :wub:

We have much in common. I used to think they were very unattractive. I think it was because I grew up in the 70's and saw too many bad clown looking lipstick red with canary yellow centered burst with the solid square block inlays from that era. But once I saw a pic of June Carter Cash with her natural 60's Hummingbird and a few mid 2000's with that very nice honey/iced tea burst, they caught my attention. The TV model came out and I was all in. And don't even get me started on the beautiful custom Koa Hummingbird!!!

We have much in common. I used to think they were very unattractive. I think it was because I grew up in the 70's and saw too many bad clown looking lipstick red with canary yellow centered burst with the solid square block inlays from that era. But once I saw a pic of June Carter Cash with her natural 60's Hummingbird and a few mid 2000's with that very nice honey/iced tea burst, they caught my attention. The TV model came out and I was all in. And don't even get me started on the beautiful custom Koa Hummingbird!!!

Yeah, I follow that. The 70's were flooded with cheap Hummingbird imitations. They were scattered here and there like kitsch and usually sounded very weak. .

They work fine, they just lack any sort of pizazz. The tulips go much better on the Hummingbird and J-200 -- gives them that vintage flair.

I can live with the J-45 Std. having chrome Grovers up there instead of white ovals.

Perhaps because the somewhat masculine Rotomatic-steel-mill fits the purity of the simple slope.

But it would be impossible for me to keep them on the Hummingbird, , , or a 200.

Especially the flora-fauna blessed Bird MUST have tulips in the garden. .

I agree, the tulips do look better and, in the interest of making my 'Bird as good as it can be,will probably swap them out eventually. Like you, however, no hurry. I must admit, sometimes I do dig the rotomatics and feel they need a little love too !

Yes, they do, , , you are right. .

Archived