Gibson Brands Forums

What should I do?

ServantOfGod

A few months ago I started to crave to buy a Gibson Jumbo. The J200's are a little high in price for me.

After some searching I found that the J-150 is the closest thing to the J200 and cost much less. So I gave the task to search.

It was quite tricky to find one on craigslist, eBay, Reverb, etc. I know the price of them between $ 1300- $ 1600 depending on condition.

This is my situation: There is a local guy that sells me one for $ 1700 (no less). I am supose to meet with him today to play it and buy it if I like it, but there is one that appeared on eBay with no reserve and ending this Sunday.

The local is in better condition than eBay plus, I have a chance to play it before you buy it. The [confused] eBay could go higher on price and do not know how it would sound.

What should I do? What would you do? worth paying a little more for the advantage of playing before buying? [confused]

I would never buy a guitar I couldn't try. I can't imagine ever taking the risk of buying one from Ebay unless you could absolutely return it, no questions asked (and who needs that hassle anyway). If you like the local one take it because good ones don't come along every day.

This is the one on eBay. The only weird thing is the pickup. Are you guys familiar with that? Is it better than the element?

http://www.ebay.com/...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thats not the pickup on mine. Sure the informed folks can give you info on that one. Looks nice in the photos and it's being given away evidently! Reckon mine is just firewood after the beating the 150s take here. Wonder why it sounds so darn good though.

Thats not the pickup on mine. Sure the informed folks can give you info on that one. Looks nice in the photos and it's being given away evidently! Reckon mine is just firewood after the beating the 150s take here. Wonder why it sounds so darn good though.

In 1999 or 2000 the factory pickup would have been a Fishman Matrix. Looks like it has been replaced with the Fishman Matrix Infinity. Nothing weird about that. The saddle looks just a bit low though like there wouldn't be a whole lot of room to lower it if you want to lower the action.

In 1999 or 2000 the factory pickup would have been a Fishman Matrix. Looks like it has been replaced with the Fishman Matrix Infinity. Nothing weird about that. The saddle looks just a bit low though like there wouldn't be a whole lot of room to lower it if you want to lower the action.

Thanks! I don't like the action too low, however, if i got a good deal I will have some extra $ to buy a colossi saddle!

The ebay one was clearly made at the end of 1999, the first year of production for the J-150. The stock pickup would have been the Fishman undersaddle unit as mentioned. A lot of folks didn't care for the quack from that unit. The saddle height looks okay to me based on the string break angle (from the saddle to the pin holes) - but that said, you wouldn't truly know a lot about it until you had it in hand.

I bought a new J-150 in 2001, and thought it was a fine instrument. Even liked the plugged in sound. Only one problem - it had a twist in the neck that impacted it's overall action & playability, so it had to go. Those are the kind of hidden issues you'll never be able to uncover unless you inspect it carefully in person.

I think what GuiTom was saying was how lowering saddle height is often used to buy time before the need for a neck reset. Not necessarily a good thing. However, I don't see it, w/ the camera angles provided. But I do see some very decent string-break at the saddle... Anyone: do those bridge pin slots look unusually ramped? Don't have a guitar at hand to compare.

The +/- 10 % more for the local guitar is not too terrible; but if all other aspects of the guitar, case, case candy, etc, were not of a similar state as the Doylestown guitar, I would let the local seller know about this, previous recent "sold" listings from eBay, the general state of "this economy", and at least feign the appearance of a walk away. Good Luck.

I think what Tom was saying was how lowering saddle height is often used to buy time before the need for a neck reset. Not necessarily a good thing. However, I don't see it, w/ the camera angles provided. But I do see some very decent string-break at the saddle... Anyone: do those bridge pin slots look unusually ramped? Don't have a guitar at hand to compare.

The +/- 10 % more for the local guitar is not too terrible; but if all other aspects of the guitar, case, case candy, etc, were not of a similar state as the Doylestown guitar, I would let the local seller know about this, previous recent "sold" listings from eBay, the general state of "this economy", and at least feign the appearance of a walk away. Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice. I tried to negotiate the price with the local guy and he refuses to go any lower than that. I could bid on the one on eBay and if I don't get a very good deal go back and see the local one.

I do see some very decent string-break at the saddle... Anyone: do those bridge pin slots look unusually ramped? Don't have a guitar at hand to compare.

Yes, in my earlier post, I noted the break angle looking good, but I had not blown up the photo. When doing so, I agree that those slots have been cut deeper than stock. Not a deal breaker, but as I mentioned with the twisted neck on the one I had, this is something you won't be able to totally assess until the guitar is in hand.

Yes, in my earlier post, I noted the break angle looking good, but I had not blown up the photo. When doing so, I agree that those slots have been cut deeper than stock. Not a deal breaker, but as I mentioned with the twisted neck on the one I had, this is something you won't be able to totally assess until the guitar is in hand.

On the eBay add says: "no issues and needs no work" However, I just asked them about that. Let's see what they have to say.

Do not have an answer my friend because my hunch is that no matter which one you buy you will end up second guessing yourself. Just human nature, Only thing I would say is go play the local guitar. If you like it buy the thing and do not worry about spending a bit more. I own a couple of guitars that were basket cases when I stumbled across them. Pretty much went by what my gut told me. Several times I ended up with more in them then I could ever recoup in a sale. I never once regretted it because I pretty much knew what I was getting into from the get go and I liked the guitars. I figuure it all eventually balances out as I also own a few that after I got them fixed up came out with a guitar that was still worth several times what I had tied up in them. Ain't it a grand old world.

Do not have an answer my friend because my hunch is that no matter which one you buy you will end up second guessing yourself. Just human nature, Only thing I would say is go play the local guitar. If you like it buy the thing and do not worry about spending a bit more. I own a couple of guitars that were basket cases when I stumbled across them. Pretty much went by what my gut told me. Several times I ended up with more in them then I could ever recoup in a sale. I never once regretted it because I pretty much knew what I was getting into from the get go and I liked the guitars. I figuure it all eventually balances out as I also own a few that after I got them fixed up came out with a guitar that was still worth several times what I had tied up in them. Ain't it a grand old world.

I agree with this. Anyway, I bet the one on ebay gets close to $1500 anyone. And yes, the Venue would work well with the Fishman pickup.

This Is what I did:

A104CDC4-DE57-4018-B0D5-C9A596BB5397_zpsu2kasqjz.jpg

I met with the local guy and this thing is amazing!. I had the oportunity of play it next to a SJ100 new at a music store here in Houston. They was ofering it to me for $1800! The J150 sounded way better and looks better too. The one eBay is going high tough.

This Is what I did:

A104CDC4-DE57-4018-B0D5-C9A596BB5397_zpsu2kasqjz.jpg

I met with the local guy and this thing is amazing!. I had the oportunity of play it next to a SJ100 new at a music store here in Houston. They was ofering it to me for $1800! The J150 sounded way better and looks better too. The one eBay is going high tough.

Congratulations! Looks like a beauty. The J-150 is a great value. Someone is going to have a nice weekend. Happy NGD.

Archived