Gibson Brands Forums

Question Regarding Gibson Five Star Dealers

MountainMedic

Howdy folks,

I'm brand spankin' new to these forums and joined pretty much just to ask a question regarding Gibson Five Star Dealers (after searching for the answer with little to no luck). I'm looking to purchase a new Gibson acoustic in the upcoming months and simply wanted to know if there is any benefit to buying from a Five Star Dealer versus an otherwise authorized Gibson dealer? As there are no Five Star Dealers in my town, I would have to drive quite a distance to find one. I am only looking for a standard model Gibson, nothing fancy or special. Could someone with knowledge about this please help? Many thanks and cheers!

Greg

Howdy folks,

I'm brand spankin' new to these forums and joined pretty much just to ask a question regarding Gibson Five Star Dealers (after searching for the answer with little to no luck). I'm looking to purchase a new Gibson acoustic in the upcoming months and simply wanted to know if there is any benefit to buying from a Five Star Dealer versus an otherwise authorized Gibson dealer? As there are no Five Star Dealers in my town, I would have to drive quite a distance to find one. I am only looking for a standard model Gibson, nothing fancy or special. Could someone with knowledge about this please help? Many thanks and cheers!

Greg

Greg,

A five star dealer may carry more than just one of the model you are looking for they might have 2 j 200 standards, 3 J 45's .

So your closest 5 star dealer may be your chance of trying out 2 of the same model and see which one you like best.

And they have certified gibson acoustic specalists who will help you find the model right for you.

Some people arrive wanting a J 45 and leave with an Advanced Jumbo or a Hummingbird.

JC

It's never been proven -- and maybe it's a placebo effect -- but some players insist the 5-star dealers get the best models. It could just be that the 5-star dealers take better care of the models they receive -- setting them up nicer, keeping them polished and with fresh strings. I've never seen an abused Gibson in a five-star dealer, while I have seen some banged-around, abused guitars of every brand in the big guitar stores.

Enjoy the search! Let us know how you do!

SB

It's never been proven -- and maybe it's a placebo effect -- but some players insist the 5-star dealers get the best models. It could just be that the 5-star dealers take better care of the models they receive -- setting them up nicer, keeping them polished and with fresh strings. I've never seen an abused Gibson in a five-star dealer, while I have seen some banged-around, abused guitars of every brand in the big guitar stores.

SB

++ This has been my experience

JC and Smurfbird are both on top of it... whichever version you believe from Smurfbird ;) HaHa.

The truth is that 5 star dealers have more selection, factory trained staff, and may give a better deal because they are moving more guitars and don't have to make as much on just that one. YMMV of course.

-Keith

Thanks very much for the replies, I appreciate the feedback. It looks as if it may in fact be a better idea to visit a Five Star Dealer. Thanks again!

Besides not ever getting a bad guitar from a 5-star dealer, most of them have very favorable return policies which I've never had to use but it shows you the confidence they have in the products they ship.

In the last couple years I've purchased from Rainbow, Wildwood, Sam Ash, Chicago Music Exchange, N Stuff, Music Outlet, and recently Bailey Brothers.

All experiences and deals were good and I would deal with any of them again.

I've dealt with some non 5-star dealers with some not so good results.

Good luck with your search.

SB

Question answered!

Archived