Gibson Brands Forums

Collector etiquette

Gibson Artist

Think in' about it, the tone of the conversation and how things are said would have a lot to do with different perspectives. Anyone bragging would of course be rude. As would asking about price in a rude manner. Sharing information in a friendly manner when asked in a friendly manner between guitarists or collectors can be just what it is, a friendly sharing of info if either feels comfortable about sharing such. Yes?

Yes...

Regardless of the 'tone" of the conversation, or who your having the discussion with, the problem with even having this conversation is..... EVERYONE LIES!.

If you're talking to a fellow collector/dealer, you're going to deflate your cost so the other guy is envious of "deal" you got. If you're talking to a potential buyer, you're going to inflate your cost so as to justify your selling price. If you're the potential buyer, you're going to quote a lowball value to justify your offer price. If your talking to a civilian, you're going to quote a ridiculous "blue book" type value, so you can look rich and cool. If you're talking to your wife, your going to tell her the guitar cost half of what you paid, and is worth twice what you really paid.

There no "etiquette" for truth here.

The irony of what you just wrote is that, although some people may sadly do what you describe, from my experience many, myself included, do not and as a result find it not be a correct or true overall assessment in its pessimism about guitar players, collectors, or music instrument dealers. Not to say there aren't some bad apples and sharks in everything, but they usually are so obvious and spotable...and overall I have found guitar players, collectors, and instrument dealers to not be or do what you describe, but be fellow breathren in guitar acquisition syndrome.

Regardless of the 'tone" of the conversation, or who your having the discussion with, the problem with even having this conversation is..... EVERYONE LIES!.

If you're talking to a fellow collector/dealer, you're going to deflate your cost so the other guy is envious of "deal" you got. If you're talking to a potential buyer, you're going to inflate your cost so as to justify your selling price. If you're the potential buyer, you're going to quote a lowball value to justify your offer price. If your talking to a civilian, you're going to quote a ridiculous "blue book" type value, so you can look rich and cool. If you're talking to your wife, your going to tell her the guitar cost half of what you paid, and is worth twice what you really paid.

There no "etiquette" for truth here.

I'm not sure if this is entirely fair. I've no interest in game playing with this sort of thing and if I'm going to impress someone with a guitar it had better be by my playing the thing, not boasting about how much it is worth or how I stole it off someone who didn't know what they had. Anyone going down that route, let alone lying about what they paid for something to embellish the story, is a pretty worthless individual as far as I'm concerned. In any case, I can understand not always wanting to disclose what a guitar is worth - I don't care on forums or people I know, not so keen when it's the first thing a stranger asks after a gig - but I've certainly never felt the need to lie about these things to impress someone.

However, although I accept those people are out there, I still think the majority of us see the money side of guitar collecting to be simply a necessary cost of persuing the interest we have: nothing to brag about, no great shady secret, and certainly nothing that needs to be lied about.

I loved Larry's note. Much, much truth to it.

For what it's worth, though, All of my guitars, whether purchased new or used or gained in a swap, were acquired for their playing value. Right now I'm weeding out a few, and they're going basically to folks at no cost because I feel the gift is of far greater value to me than a few dollars - and my hope is that they will get value as much from the fact it's a gift to encourage them, as the instrument itself.

20 years ago I wouldn't have said or done that.

This ain't 20 years ago. No, I'm not ill or anticipating finding some light in a tunnel, it's just that to a degree, values become a bit different at different points of life.

m

62Burst, thank you for the kind words on that J-200 and the L-00. Both sweet guitars. I'll be really sad when that J-200 leaves the roost. The patina is just right- very natural and doesn't distract. Cool.

Dave, did you get your price guide in Arlington? I noticed that Amazon was a little late in filling orders. That's where I got mine.

62Burst, thank you for the kind words on that J-200 and the L-00. Both sweet guitars. I'll be really sad when that J-200 leaves the roost. The patina is just right- very natural and doesn't distract. Cool.

Dave, did you get your price guide in Arlington? I noticed that Amazon was a little late in filling orders. That's where I got mine.

I bought it off the Vintage Guitar website

Archived