Gibson Brands Forums

73 Gibson Deluxe / Tonemaster amp?

Gibson Artist

Saw this on youtube, i love these Deluxe les paul and the mini buckers are cool. But, that tonemaster just had an amazing, blistering tone that to my ears blew the Vox ac30 out the door. And i am a vox fan so please dont get me wrong, no offense, but the Tonemaster is just amazing.

What i wonder is does anyone know what year/model that Tonemaster Phil X is using in this video is? What do they go for? and how rare are the Les Paul Deluxe? I believe i saw one on craigslist a while back but didnt pull the trigger. Man, i got gas for both the amp and the Deluxe, Great Stuff!

GA

I'm not by any means certain but I THINK the Tonemaster is one of several names used (possibly different distributors or retailers had different names) by what I have seen called a Magnatone - probably a 260 or 280 model of the late 50's.

I THINK they were made as amplifiers for piano-accordions.

I could well be wrong on either or both counts. They are collector amps to some degree and would possibly cost $2000+. Not sure what the volume output would be like. Note that Phil X specifically used to use them to demo the dirty channel and Vox for the clean - i.e they are supposed to sound very differnt on his demos - swap the channels and it would be a different story.

I think the LP Customs would not have been uncommon - don't they still make them today? I'm fairly sure Jimi Mac on the forum here has one.

The Tonemaster that Phil X uses is a late 50's Magnatone Tonemaster Troubadour Model 214. Kasha Amplification has actually recreated Phil's amp in collaboration with him and Fretted Americana, and it can now be purchased from them. They call it the "Evil Robot" (named after one of Phil's songs).

There's a handwired USA-made one that'll set you back a couple G's, or the Far-Eastern made variant that you can get for a few hundred bucks.

-Ryan

The Tonemaster that Phil X uses is a late 50's Magnatone Tonemaster Troubadour Model 214. Kasha Amplification has actually recreated Phil's amp in collaboration with him and Fretted Americana, and it can now be purchased from them. They call it the "Evil Robot" (named after one of Phil's songs).

There's a handwired USA-made one that'll set you back a couple G's, or the Far-Eastern made variant that you can get for a few hundred bucks.

-Ryan

Thanks man! Few amps make my ears perk but i love that tonemaster and handwired marsh and vox amps as well. The LP ive found on eflay for 2-3k, not bad for a 70s les paul, not bad at all.

GA

I'm not by any means certain but I THINK the Tonemaster is one of several names used (possibly different distributors or retailers had different names) by what I have seen called a Magnatone - probably a 260 or 280 model of the late 50's.

I THINK they were made as amplifiers for piano-accordions.

I could well be wrong on either or both counts. They are collector amps to some degree and would possibly cost $2000+. Not sure what the volume output would be like. Note that Phil X specifically used to use them to demo the dirty channel and Vox for the clean - i.e they are supposed to sound very differnt on his demos - swap the channels and it would be a different story.

I think the LP Customs would not have been uncommon - don't they still make them today? I'm fairly sure Jimi Mac on the forum here has one.

I believe they reissued the Deluxe LP's recently but am unsure the exact date. Wonder how different they are to the mini buckers in firebirds?

Archived