Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul colour.

Tony Biker

Hello.

In the 1990's, I bought my son an Epiphone Les Paul which I thought was sunburst. A few years later he became ill and the guitar was forgotten about and later sold. More recently my sons health has improved and one thing he has asked about is his old guitar and how he regretted selling it. With Christmas fast approaching I have decided to see if I can replace it for a new one but it needs to be the exact colour he had, and thats where I have hit a brick wall. I simply can't find the same colour match and surprised at the number of sunburst shades.

Would it be possible for someone to say what colour the guitar is so I have a better chance of locating one?

I do have a photo which I will attach here.

Many thanks in advance.

Tony

9qvhh2.jpg

Hello.

In the 1990's, I bought my son an Epiphone Les Paul which I thought was sunburst. A few years later he became ill and the guitar was forgotten about and later sold. More recently my sons health has improved and one thing he has asked about is his old guitar and how he regretted selling it. With Christmas fast approaching I have decided to see if I can replace it for a new one but it needs to be the exact colour he had, and thats where I have hit a brick wall. I simply can't find the same colour match and surprised at the number of sunburst shades.

Would it be possible for someone to say what colour the guitar is so I have a better chance of locating one?

Many thanks in advance.

Tony

9qvhh2.jpg

it looks pretty close to Desertburst. http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Standard-Plustop-PRO.aspx

third color swatch from the right.

I dig those strats. I had one just like it in the same color years ago.

Hello Tony, and welcome to this nice place in the web.

Considering year of buy and colour options, it should be included here: http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/All_Les_Paul_Models#Les_Paul_Standard

When looking at the photo you provided and comparing to the given finish list, my guess would be Honeyburst.

By the way, I love that finish, too, but it's not crucial for me.

Did you see these here in person? I did, and they look much nicer than any picture could translate:

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Standard-Plustop-PRO.aspx

I own one of these in Faded Cherryburst which looks a bit flashy but plays and sounds very nicely:

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Tribute-Plus-Outfit.aspx

Hope this helps.

it looks pretty close to Desertburst. http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Standard-Plustop-PRO.aspx

third color swatch from the right.

I dig those strats. I had one just like it in the same color years ago.

Yes, them Strats look quite nice.

I guess you're right assuming Desertburst. Epiphone colours look a bit different from Gibson's. Perhaps pic and screen made me judging this one wrong. [blush]

Hi.

Many thanks for all your replies, it's deeply appreciated. On the link to the Desertburst it looks the same, but the photo from Matt of the Honeyburst looks bang on, so it it is confusing, I am sort of favoring Honeyburst given Matts photo, which is always going to be more real than a stock Epiphone picture. My son is not aware of what I am going to buy him, so as long as it's as close as possible then I should be OK. It's a tough call given Honeyburst looks nothing like it on link. I just need to track one down now.

I felt guilty having the strats on the photo given this is a Gibson site but it was the only photo I had of the Les Paul. For interest, the strat on the left is a Fender Custom Shop Hank Marvin Autograph strat number 161 from 1995, the one on the right is a Squire HBM signature from 1993, I still have both guitars.

My younger son was also a Gibson lover so he got an Epiphone Flying V Korina reissue from the same period of the Les Paul.

Best regards to all.

23kf76o.jpg

I felt guilty having the strats on the photo given this is a Gibson site but it was the only photo I had of the Les Paul. For interest, the strat on the left is a Fender Custom Shop Hank Marvin Autograph strat number 161 from 1995, the one on the right is a Squire HBM signature from 1993, I still have both guitars.

Great you still own them Strats. [thumbup]

To shed a light on the spirit of the Gibson Guitar Board, you might take a look at this post by a Gibson Customer Service member into a Fender Telecaster NGD topic:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/117123-another-fender-telecaster-ngd/page__view__findpost__p__1591642

These are the things that make my day sometimes and keep me dreaming of a better world. Gibson spirit seems to be just - musician's spirit.

Hello.

Many thanks in advance.

Tony

9qvhh2.jpg

This post is of no help, but i just wanted to point out I have the same yamaha powered mixer.

I hope your son enjoys whatever you get for him and you are a great dad for doing so!

[thumbup]

Just keep in mind there can be quite a variation in color among different guitars with the same finish. Some "honeybursts" tend toward the amber, others toward the reddish brown, so if you order online without a picture, you may get something a bit different than what you expect.

Archived