Gibson Brands Forums

A TALL ORDER ...

Karloff

Fill in the blanks :

1. wish I could write like -

2. wish I could play like -

3. wish I could sing like -

I'll kick it off. I'd love to write like John Prine, play like Dickey Betts & sing like Lennon. Yea, I ain't askin' for much, huh?

Write like Neil Peart.

Play like Alex Lifeson.

Sing like Robert Plant, when he was younger.

Ok , I'll play

1. wish I could write like - Tom Waits

2. wish I could play like - Ry Cooder

3. wish I could sing like - Kurt Cobain ( great R@R voice )

1. Me. I'm pretty happy with the things I write, I write them because I like them.

2. Me. Taken me a long time to get here, I'm pretty happy with what I can and can't do.

3. Sully Erna. I don't write anything like what them guys do, but I could really make some good major-y, pop-y stuff around that voice.

rct

1. wish I could write like - Taylor Swift

2. wish I could play like - Slash

3. wish I could sing like - The dude from Steelheart back in the 80's

I couldn't think of a songwriter that I like so I put her in there. I like her music. Looking at my list, that would be some crazy music I would be making!

1. wish I could write like - myself when in deep sorrow. It makes me feel better.

2. wish I could play like - Steve Morse. I would be able to translate my ideas much better and feel even more better.

3. wish I could sing like - Russell Mael (Sparks). Same reasons as under 2.

1. Me. I'm pretty happy with the things I write, I write them because I like them.

2. Me. Taken me a long time to get here, I'm pretty happy with what I can and can't do.

3. Sully Erna. I don't write anything like what them guys do, but I could really make some good major-y, pop-y stuff around that voice.

rct

and to be honest, i'm kinda happy with how I play as well. I feel i can always do better, and i'm always trying to do better... I'm ok with my voice, just wish I had better range.

Oh man, Karloff - its too tall an order for me - every time I think of someone I then think of 5 others [laugh], and since I already can and do write, play and sing like me (for what that's worth) I think I'll just simplify it and answer all 3 adequately by saying:

I wish I could be Dave Grohl [biggrin]

To reiterate the original question... I'm very happy also with my writing, playing, and singing abilities however good or mediocre they may be. I can't wish to be like myself because I already am myself. So I answered the wish part of the question.

I guess I could have said sing like Geddy Lee, when he was younger, to be consistent with my other two answers, but I don't think my vocal chords could handle that range, even if I wished for it.

1. wish I could write like - Lee Ranaldo. His last two solo albums really hit home for me music and content wise. Or Conrad Keely. Cannot think of a Trail of Dead album I do not like. So many epic songs.

2. wish I could play like - Nels Cline. My playing is even more pedestrian compared to that cat. Such a laid back confidence to everything he does.

3. wish I could sing like - Richard Manuel before Grand Marnier wrecked his voice.

Oh man, Karloff - its too tall an order for me - every time I think of someone I then think of 5 others [laugh], and since I already can and do write, play and sing like me (for what that's worth) I think I'll just simplify it and answer all 3 adequately by saying:

I wish I could be Dave Grohl [biggrin]

lol, best answer yet

Fill in the blanks :

1. wish I could write like -

2. wish I could play like -

3. wish I could sing like -

I'll kick it off. I'd love to write like John Prine, play like Dickey Betts & sing like Lennon. Yea, I ain't askin' for much, huh?

I'm happy with my own accomplishments, but if this IS a wish list...

Dylan

Lindsey Buckingham

Don Henley

Given what I've seen of the biz, I'd like to just keep being me, writing like I'd started to do when I was 19 or 20, playing like I think I could if I'd been hitting the strings for hour on hour every day with an occasional "zen" week off...

I'm encouraged to hear others with about the same sort of perspectives.

I think that the "fame" thing, and the inclination to be "like" somebody else is a bit of a frightening thing. Let's say I'd like to play like Joe Pass or Roy Buchanan but - I'm not. At best I'd be a skilled and talented copy. How many of those folks are weekend warriors at best because they can't, or won't rethink into their own brains. And even so, there's the biz...

Dylan's voice stank when he was young and it ain't improved with age. Doesn't mean I don't respect what he managed to achieve, but I'd not have cared to have walked his trail, either. Sinatra's voice lowered with age, as have many other singers' range. Orbison couldn't hit the high notes when he started and ... who knows, would he have been able to had his life not ended far too soon?

I think the trick is to have your own thing and be lucky enough to get "discovered" and catch the wave. There really are some crappy voices out there regardless of genre. There's a lot of mediocre picking that's taken as wonderfully creative by fans. And at times a lotta studio work to make it that good.

Perhaps it's because at my age I'm not likely to make $40 million in the next three years from music, I guess I'll take the perspective I did even when I was playing for money in the '60s and '70s.

I'll do my/our (in a band) versions of material folks can recognize, and stylistically ditto even if it's my own material - but I have more fun doing a wide range of stuff rather than freezing into one genre. There's no way to bend my voice to be this guy or that. Dunno now or then why I really should even try.

And... perhaps that's why even if I were far more talented and skilled, I'd not have been likely to "make it big." Always a bit ornery. Okay, maybe at times far more than a bit. Which perhaps is why now I'm a grouchy old man.

m

Archived