Gibson Brands Forums

A TALL ORDER ...

Karloff

Yeah... on this stuff perhaps I was an odd duck even as a kid. I wanted to play with the facility of X or Y - but the idea of copying them simply didn't occur as such.

Then again, back in the '50s and early '60s, there remained a pattern of different bands and singers doing different "versions" of top pop songs as opposed to doing copies of whomever perhaps had done it first with big record sales.

Even early black and white television had "Your Hit Parade" with most of the top 10 or whatever being done by a house band and staff vocalists.

So I guess that really hit me into liking songs - and doing what I though sounded good to me in terms of how to do it in an arrangement that seemed to have some of the better features of different ways I'd heard the piece.

That's what, 50-60 years ago?

Ain't changed much on that perspective, anyway.

Now if I could only meet my own expectations... <grin>

m

No need to over think these little games. It's just a fun little exercise. We all know that your answers don't mean you literally want to be a clone of these guys. (or gals)

1. Billy Joel comes to mind. Of course I would be a little more "rock" and guitar oriented. But I like the way he can write songs from a lot of different and interesting perspectives.

2. Warren Haynes. He wouldn't be my pick for "favorite" or "greatest" or whatever list. But, for the way I play, it would be great to have his style of talent.

3. Like others said. I just wish I could sing at all. I can actually do a fairly decent Tom Petty. :rolleyes: But I would choose to have a more soulful voice like maybe Bob Seger or Paul Rogers.

what Milod and a couple others have said, has made me think about the question. and while it is/was a silly little discussion, i guess I really mean who in your opinion has set the bar, that you see as the level to try to reach. I want to write like myself, but as well as John Prine. I want to play like myself, but as well as Betts,

Yeah... but one might make more than a decent case that such a pact needn't be Faustian - but for some has unexpected and unintended consequences.

m

Mate, it's just light hearted free association, not an introspective brow beat.

Roger Waters.

Django Reinhardt.

John Lee Hooker.

...or...

Beethoven.

Paganini.

Pavarotti.

Hard to choose...

P.

All depends what era your walking in at the time I guess. Very nice choice, especially the second, very interesting pick!

Archived