Gibson Brands Forums

LG-2

geeterpicker

For starters,the vintage LG2's were sunburst and had pick guards. The newer ones are natural and are w/out pick guards (though one can be added). Vintage LG3's were the natural version of the old LG2s. They also had pgs. Not sure why the newer version of the LG2 made the chanes it did. The LG body has a larger upper bout than the 00.

Sure others can add other differences, if any.

I looked at his sight and he has one each of LG1, 2, 3

He is local, located in Loveland

He's a real nice guy to talk to. He told me I if I ever wanted to check some of his stock out to let him know and he would get them to his showroom for me.

He does not have a walk-in store front. Keeps the guitars in storage. Viewing by appointment only. Don't cost anything to look.

http://www.garysguitars.com/catalog/1955-gibson-lg-1-gia0533

http://www.garysguitars.com/catalog/1943-gibson-banner-lg-2-gia0521

http://www.garysguitars.com/catalog/1957-gibson-lg-3-gia0502

I only know from old guitars I've had, but as much as I loved my LG2, the L00 slightly superior bass led me to settle on that model. Otherwise, the ones I've owned sounded very similar. I also do better with the wider string spacing of the L00.

IHe does not have a walk-in store front. Keeps the guitars in storage. Viewing by appointment only. Don't cost anything to look.

You will dig deep in your pocket to buy though. His price tags are insanely high. But he usually does have a fantastic selection of istruments.

Only one real way to get that - to play the guitars.

particularly true with the LG's. For a long time, I was on a grail-type search for the perfect (for me)LG. This stopped when I acquired a very beat up Frankenstein '44 LG-2 that I had overhauled. During my search period I played catch and release with a '61 LG-3, a '56 LG-2, a banner LG-2 and a few B-25's and LG-1's.

The thing about the LG, is that not only did the specs change significantly from year to year, but even in the same year, they can sound much different.

When I visited Chicago I tested a bunch at the Chicago Music Exchange. I don't know if they still have as many as they had then, but it was a good place to a/b the various LG's from different years. In my limited personal experience, the 1940's models--when set up well and in good shape--have had much more volume than the later years. My '44 resonates as much as my J-45--and has a "wobble" to it (for lack of a better term) that you don't find in a newer guitar.

I expect that it you wanted, Bozeman could make you an incredible LG with whatever specs you want.

The thing about the LG, is that not only did the specs change significantly from year to year, but even in the same year, they can sound much different.

Unless you are talking about Banners which is a period unto itself and driven by lack of materials, most of the changes occurred when they were made to the whole line so 1947, 1955, 1960 and such. The only change to the LG series other than those that I can think of was around 1950 when the bridges got a bit thicker. The neck profiles did vary a bit through the 1950s but again they did with all Gibsons. The 1960s though were certainly a time of flux with Gibsons.

Also, an LG-2 can take a bump off the corner of a desk, or an occasional bang against a chair arm. The L-00, however, is a delicate, almost balsa-like creature that plays a little lighter. A shot of winter has come into upstate NY. The guitars are in quarantine far from the woodstove room, but enjoying the dry, not too hot air. If you can find the perfect touch with the Red Bear or Tortex pick, it's like heaven, LG-2 or L-00. You almost believe you can play guitar.

The L-00, however, is a delicate, almost balsa-like creature that plays a little lighter.

Mine was a tough little bugger. Did not have case for it when I first got so the thing was always being propped up in a corner or thrown in the back of the VW and toted around with a strap thrown over my shoulder. It got knocked over and pushed around more than any guitar should have to put up with. A decade later while it definitely showed some bruises not even a loose brace could be found.

Mine was a tough little bugger. Did not have case for it when I first got so the thing was always being propped up in a corner or thrown in the back of the VW and toted around with a strap thrown over my shoulder. It got knocked over and pushed around more than any guitar should have to put up with. A decade later while it definitely showed some bruises not even a loose brace could be found.

No kidding, Z. A charmed life. Amazing not even one drunk or stoner sat on it.

Archived