Gibson Brands Forums

Can anyone help me identify the year and model of this flat top Gibson?

morganrr

This Gibson came through my cousins pawn shop so I really have no back story on it and he gave it to me because he didn't want to mess with fixing it up and I'm the only musician in the family. It has one serial number (1002) stamped on the neck block on the inside and nothing else inside or on the back of the neck. It has a good sound to it, it just needs some updating to get it playing again (bridge, tuners, probably frets) and since I have absolutely no money in it I don't mind putting a little into it to get it going again. Any help is greatly appreciated! Let me know if there are any other images you might need to help identify it and I can get them up quickly.

post-68682-058929100 1416325211_thumb.jpg

Here is a link to the gallery, the images are a bit large to post on here.

http://imgur.com/a/LpdbY

It's a Gibson SJN Southerner with what looks like a home-made bridge screwed(!) on.

They were originally made between 1942 and 1977 and since re-introduced.

With the round shoulders yours is probably pre-1964 (after that they had square shoulders). Can't be more precise without knowing the serial number (the one you gave is unrecognised).

Looks like it had a pick-up at some point as there are a couple of crudely repaired holes for the control knobs on the bottom bout.

As mojo says, it's an SJN, pre-Country/Western, and pre-1955 because of the 19-fret neck. Tuners, bridge, and pickguard are non-original. You can see the shadow of the original bridge. A photo of the headstock might help pin down the year a bit better. Check to see if it has a factory order number stamped on the neck block inside the guitar, which would really help us pin it down.

I doubt if it intonates well with that bridge placement.

Archived