Gibson Brands Forums

1972 FT160

MichaelDH

These were made in Japan during the early Epi import era by another manufacturer, but carried the Epi name. They usually sell very in expensively...under $300 or even $200 I would think. Some are actually okay instruments to play, but there is little demand for them because of the era they were from. Let us know what you find, think.

Going this afternoon to look at a 1972 FT-160 12 string. Anyone familiar with them...

I guess I'm a little late to this thread - you've already seen it. How was it? I've got one of these with probably 2 or 3 hours of play on it. The bolt-on neck apparently makes it easy to set up - my tech only charged me $30 for a setup and new strings. I really like it - fun to play, LOTS of sound, although the low A and E strings aren't as loud as I'd like - a bit unbalanced with the stronger sounding higher strings.

They usually sell very in expensively...under $300 or even $200 I would think. Some are actually okay instruments to play....

Yes, they're usually very inexpensive. Several on ebay have sold for less than $200. Not sure why. Mine is a very nice 12-string!

str167.jpg

str155.jpg

I guess I'm a little late to this thread - you've already seen it. How was it? I've got one of these with probably 2 or 3 hours of play on it. The bolt-on neck apparently makes it easy to set up - my tech only charged me $30 for a setup and new strings. I really like it - fun to play, LOTS of sound, although the low A and E strings aren't as loud as I'd like - a bit unbalanced with the stronger sounding higher strings.

Yes, they're usually very inexpensive. Several on ebay have sold for less than $200. Not sure why. Mine is a very nice 12-string!

str167.jpg

str155.jpg

Very nice how does it sound?

Actually I had something come up and couldn't get over to see it. I saw some additional pictures of it, and the seller didn't have strings on it, so I'm not sure it's worth going to check out as I won't be able to really check it out.

They sell inexpensively because the Norlin era Epiphones had a bad habit of neck breakage. In some cases (I surmise from anecdotal information) that some 6 string versions were repaired by swapping out the original body with a 12 string body. But, this unfortunate history does make knowledgeable buyer's a bit skittish, thus leading to fewer buyers.

If your new to you 12 hasn't imploded It probably won't unless you install heavier strings or do something stupid like leave it out in the rain.

Some of these had the word 'Texan' inscribed on the label. 'Texan' or no 'Texan', they're the same guitar... just not the same as an FT79 'Texan' of Beatles fame.

Congrats on the 160 score!

Archived