Gibson Brands Forums

Ebony ES 135 and ES 137 newbie

CharlesM3

Hi all. I am a newbie to the forum as of today and an afflicted and addicted ES135/137 fan. I already have a 2002 Ebony ES 135 with PAFs and custom vintage cream plastics and just purchased a 2012 Ebony ES 137 Classic from a dealer in England that I am having brought over to the States by a friend in late December (pic attached). I'm curious if anyone knows how rare an Ebony 137 is? I could not find a single one to buy in the states. I've seen a few on the web and actually played one in the Gibson shop at the plant in Memphis two years ago. The Gibson site does not mention Ebony as a choice; just tri-burst, heritage cherry sunburst, blues burst, and sliver shades. Any insight to this color and it's rarity (or not) would be appreciated.

Thanks

-Charles

Hello CharlesM3. I don't think they are that rare as I have seen a few on UK and USA sites. However, ebony was not one of the original colour options, but I can't say exactly what year they started finishing them in this colour. Most of the ones I have seen are from 2012 and if this is the only year they were made they could become collectable in the future. Very nice instruments & congrats on the new one.

Here's an old listing for one Sweetwater had if you scroll down;

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Es137CEb

and a brand new one on sale now at Richtone here in the UK; The serial number dates it from 2012 though - maybe new old stock or one they didn't sell.

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/guitar-gallery/guitar/copy-gibson_es-137_classic_ebony.asp

Hi all. I am a newbie to the forum as of today and an afflicted and addicted ES135/137 fan. I already have a 2002 Ebony ES 135 with PAFs and custom vintage cream plastics and just purchased a 2012 Ebony ES 137 Classic from a dealer in England that I am having brought over to the States by a friend in late December (pic attached). I'm curious if anyone knows how rare an Ebony 137 is? I could not find a single one to buy in the states. I've seen a few on the web and actually played one in the Gibson shop at the plant in Memphis two years ago. The Gibson site does not mention Ebony as a choice; just tri-burst, heritage cherry sunburst, blues burst, and sliver shades. Any insight to this color and it's rarity (or not) would be appreciated.

Thanks

-Charles

The ebony looks great. Gotta say I'd luv to see one with gold hardware. Congrats on yours.

my 02 135 was stock with the trapeze tail, dot markers Vintage Burst,, got it just before Gibson killed the production of them

I got rid of the trapeze and fit it with a bigsby.

those PAFs are tone machines..

I was in York (UK) recently and saw a busker who had a Vintage Burst 135 & had changed the tailpiece to a Bigsby - it looked fantastic. He was playing Les Paul & Mary Ford type jazz too which was nice to hear [thumbup] ...Most buskers over here play 3 chord indie songs [thumbdn]

Archived